Autonomous Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for an update. Do what degree are the Autonomous Trucks operating at. I understand most of the new highway haulers are using some degree of their autonomous ability. I know it's common to be using the lane guidance where you get a warning if you are leaving your lane. How about the full meal deal. Are some haulers allowing the truck to guide it itself completely? I'm not talking about the experimental stuff. I mean the every-day stuff the truckers are actually using on the new rigs.

Thanks

SF

Last edited:
Yep. I was having a discussion about autonomous vehicles in general with a friend and he insisted that the big rigs already had certain systems installed. I know the lane guidance is in use but was wondering what other controls are in daily use.

There's an interesting test facility in Finland for this. Winter/Nordic conditions add special challenges.

I have no interest in the subject. None whatsoever, but I thought the only autonomous trucks were experimental with special permission from the Feds and certain states (like Nevada). I'm not really in a position to comment.

My '16 Freightliner Cascadia has adaptive cruise. The best thing about that is the radar on the bumper tells me how fast the vehicle ahead is moving, regardless if the cruise is engaged or not. It's helpful in determining whether or not to attempt a pass or chill out for awhile. It also alerts me if someone is driving erratically (as in wildly speeding and slowing).

There are newer trucks that use GPS to aid the cruise control in maintaining speed in hilly terrain by "throwing extra coal on the fire" as the truck approaches a hill and backing out as the truck tops the hill. Basically the cruise drives like a good driver would in such terrain. The basic cruise that we've had for a few decades will only waste fuel on the roller coaster type roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back