New tires for 2003 Suburban 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the market for new tires for my 2003 Suburban 2 wheel drive LT.
On my Expedition, I have had the Michelin Latitude tires, which had cracking sidewalls and failed with blowouts. I stepped up to the LTX MS/2, which have been great, but tread seems to be failing where chunks of the tread are breaking off now. I seem to get about 2-3 good years from Michelins before having breakdown issues with rubber. I am willing to give them another chance, but have read some pretty negative reviews of the new compound used on the Defender LTX M/S series, contributing to rough ride and balancing issues and Michelin themselves only give them a 5/10 rating for handling.
I am in Florida, so mostly need dry and wet handling, I tow a trailer and a boat, so need that strength, and I do a lot of highway driving, so quiet ride and good handling are important.
I will spend 2 months with it in NY in February and March, but that is the last snow it should see.
Some options I am considering based on reviews
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Kumho Crugen HT51
General Grabber HTS 60
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Olenza Plus
Firestone Destination LE2
Price is a secondary concern, for a difference of a few hundred bucks investment vs increase performance and longevity, I will pay the extra money.
Anyone have feedback to offer on any of these tires positive or negative?
I will be happy to consider alternatives, I just don't know what they are.

I vote for the General Grabber. The Generals get positive reviews from what I hear. I spend a lot of time in tire shops. So I hear about the best and worst tires all the time.

You are in a state where you would potentially see "Michelin Dry Rot Syndrome". Something to consider.

The General Grabber tires and Firestone Destination tires get very good reviews.

Just in the past 2 months I had Falken Wildpeak tires put on my truck. Tire store recommended them as he has had really good service from them. Tread pattern nearly identical to the Michelin. He told me these are better than the michelin since I don't put a lot of miles on and do tow my 5th wheel trailer with it. If it was his truck he would buy the Falken or the Firestone destination. The Falkens have been great. Very quiet and great traction. On wet roads there is no slippage.

I had LTX MS2 and thought they were awful in snow. Not a problem for you I know; they were fine otherwise on pavement. I didn't like them on grass, but ok, it's a highway tire, that is par for the course. Did what I expected, right until they cracked (3yr/40k).

If you drive enough I'd be tempted go LTX, but as you mention, they like to rot it seems. But most reviews indicate that they can go to high miles. I'm not sure if LE2's work as well towards the end of their lifespans but they seemed to be a favorite runner-up. I'd weigh cost/mile and then err towards something that can be replaced every 3-4 years.

I didn't think the LTX's were going to last much longer than other tires. IMO they aren't that much better so as to demand a premium. At least in P size, maybe LT's are different.

Does the Firestone Destination still have the problem, where the tread pattern starts to vanish when they get about half worn down? If not, that would completely eliminate it from my list.

Originally Posted By: Richie
I really like Continental Tires.

General Tire and Continental are the same company.

I was not aware of that and thanks

Originally Posted By: knerml
Originally Posted By: Richie
I really like Continental Tires.

General Tire and Continental are the same company.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Wear bars are at 2/32nds. Those tires look to be at 3/32nds. I would expect the tread pattern to "disappear" at that wear level.

Looks almost over-inflated, but yeah, end of life traction tends to die pretty quickly. Isn't 4/32's pretty close to the end? I've thought about taking my tires to 4/32's and then CL'ing them for whatever I could get, rather than run to the ragged end and "risk" anything.

My dad's 02 Suburban 1500 has those Generals on there right now. They're nice other than wearing very quickly. Has always used Bridgestone Duelers in the past. He got decent mileage out of those, and nice ride but you pay more for it.

Alenza Plus tires have been great on my Tahoe. 80,000 mile warranty so when they don’t make it, you get a discounted second set as I did.

My 2003 Suburban 1500 has one General Grabber HTS and 3 Mastercraft Courser AXT tires. I got a flat from running over a piece of debris on the highway and limped it to walmart where i got the general grabber HTS.

I am about 20K miles into the Courser AXTs with no sign of wear and the traction is great along with noise etc.

The General Grabber has no traction at all and always is the first to spin..but it does look like it would be very happy on the highway.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Does the Firestone Destination still have the problem, where the tread pattern starts to vanish when they get about half worn down? If not, that would completely eliminate it from my list.

See the picture of the "worn out" tire.....

LOL!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back