Thankyou Mesa Arizona

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter had a school trip to the US, which included billeting with a family in Mesa Arizona, and attending school there.

What she's shared with us back home is that it was an amazing experience, and the people have treated her and her peers amazingly well.

Just a Dad saying thankyou for your hospitality, friendship, and opening your homes to a bunch of Aussie kids on a lifetime experience.

Thanks also to Dave1251 for being our local emergency backup friend for if things turned to whoop, and she needed help while overseas. It was never going to be needed, but I doubt that she'd have boarded the plane without a backup backup backup number.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Thankyou Mesa Arizona
You’re welcome
grin2.gif
(I live in Mesa, AZ)

How long was she here?

Folks in the USA generally love Australians.

I have made a lot of friends that live in NSW, that's where I'm headed if I ever make it to Oz.

Good thing about the new house is that we have a proper spare room...

(and we are still 45 mins from Bathurst)

Great deal!

Sort of funny story about a group of Aussie high school boys who lodged here and did about the same turn. Let me put it this way, some of the girls REALLY liked aussie fellas. For long time, mate. Thank goodness my daughter and her circle run a little tighter ship. But it was all the thing when it was going down. As a father with daughters only, the term "getting lucky" changes a lot quite quickly.

We have hosted 8 exchange students. Four pairs. First two were a German boy and a Thai girl. Then, a Brazilian boy and a German girl. Then, two boys, one from Spain and one from Germany. Finally, a boy from Hong Kong, and a German girl.

It was a great experience for us as well as them. My three kids loved every minute of it.

My daughter's college roommate at Purdue last year was from Australia. They formed a nice friendship. The girls came to our house, spent time at family dinners, etc.

It's interesting and fun to get a different perspective of the world. And you don't have to travel there; someone can come into your world and still open your eyes!

Sad story with a nice ending: The girl was ill on/off for several months. So much so that my daughter had to take her to the emergency room on two separate occasions at college, and yet again once when she was visiting us at home. She had fainting spells, nausea, severe lethargy, etc. Turns out she had Lyme disease from a tick bite, while she was up in MI for the summer! After proper diagnosis, she was treated and has recovered well, and living fine back in her homeland. But it was spooky for a while. I recall how intensely we felt compelled to help any way we could. Had it been my daughter in a foreign land, I'd want the same for my child; I'd want someone to help out any way they could! So we went all out for her; she deserved it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Thankyou Mesa Arizona
You’re welcome
grin2.gif
(I live in Mesa, AZ)

How long was she here?

I also live in Mesa

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Thankyou Mesa Arizona
You’re welcome
grin2.gif
(I live in Mesa, AZ)

How long was she here?

Good call not providing young Mr. Nick with her contact info dad! What part of her trip really stands out and where all did she go? And props to you dad & mom for letting her go, that's a long way apart.

I think such student swapping is a brilliant thing to do.
It gives everybody things genuine, new and novel to process.

I'd bet everyone on this board grew up reasonably well-to-do taking the whole world into average. I alway knew there were plenty of garbage situations out there and was grateful for my situation.
The one thing I wish I had been part of is such a student swap (exchange student, year abroad etc.).

I'm 2,417 miles from Mesa.

Originally Posted By: Kira

The one thing I wish I had been part of is such a student swap (exchange student, year abroad etc.).

My parents (mom mostly I'm sure) saw fit to fund a foreign study trip to Europe when I was 15 in the early 70s. We were lower middle class I guess but she thought it important. Spent about a month in Scotland taking classes and just love that country to this day, and bus toured some other countries. I admit to being a normal 15 year old not taking the opportunity seriously and spending most of my energies trying to get friendly with the girls, both locals and the ones on the trip, and trying to get served beer in the pubs. It took years to appreciate what I experienced culturally (no luck with the girls).

I'm sure Shannow's daughter has a more mature understanding and appreciation of the nature of her trip and it will be to her advantage in the years ahead. (And dad will never know the rest!)

Shannow have you ever been to the states? You can come and eat BBQ and shoot guns and be confused by our measurement system LOL.
lol.gif

Very cool...

We have neighbors who are doing that right now. Had friends do it...and they loved it as well.

My son would like to do it....

My daughter had a school trip to the US, which included billeting with a family in Mesa Arizona, and attending school there.

What she's shared with us back home is that it was an amazing experience, and the people have treated her and her peers amazingly well.

Just a Dad saying thankyou for your hospitality, friendship, and opening your homes to a bunch of Aussie kids on a lifetime experience.

Thanks also to Dave1251 for being our local emergency backup friend for if things turned to whoop, and she needed help while overseas. It was never going to be needed, but I doubt that she'd have boarded the plane without a backup backup backup number.

I am glad she had a good time!

The Australian branch of my family all live in various places in Queensland. (You know what they say about Queensland; "Beautiful Today, Perfect Tomorrow"). Most near Brisbane but others in Bundaberg and Rockhampton (on the Capricorn Coast).

My cousin tells me that other Australians consider Queenslanders as "Country Bumpkins".

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
I think that since the whole student swapping thing works so well, ya think we could try in-law swapping?

There was a reality TV show for that...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back