Amsoil or RedLine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, prepping for my next OC. Going with either Redline 5w-30 or Amsoil SS 5w-30 .2013 GMC with 5.3 LC9. Whatcha guys got? Thank you in advance

36.gif

Honestly, I wouldn't expect a ton of input on which of those two oils to run from most on here. The general consensus is that most any off-the-shelf oil that is API certified and meets your engine's specs is good enough. Oh, and the cheaper, the better.

Personally, I'd probably pick Amsoil, just because from what I've seen of the VOAs for Amsoil's new formula. However, both of those oils will do more than well enough for you. I think it's a really good looking oil. I do believe that there can be long-term benefit to running oils that do more than meet the API minimum spec, but that's just my opinion on the matter. Best of luck to you!

Originally Posted By: LotI
Hmmm...a renowned pyramid scheme company or a major corporation?

Tough one.

If it were me I would find a D1G2 oil and stop.

Another way to look at it:

A small, American-owned and operated company or a branch of Phillips 66, a multinational corporation?

Either way, that's a terrible way to evaluate quality of oil.

Originally Posted By: JustN89

Tough one.

Another way to look at it:

A small, American-owned and operated company or a branch of Phillips 66, a multinational corporation?

Either way, that's a terrible way to evaluate quality of oil.

Agreed, pick an oil that meets or exceeds the specs. Then stop.

Agreed, pick an oil that meets or exceeds the specs. Then stop.

Correct.

You 2013 Chevy pickup will run just as good as what's in the jug at Walmart for $22, and for nearly as long of an oil change.

Both are total overkill for that engine. Why not run some Dexos approved PP, M1, Valvoline, or Castrol? Boutique oils only really shine in extremely high stress situations, the likes of which you'll never push a street car to. I'm talking about modded to the nuts track cars, blown dragsters, and high performance motorcycles being pushed to the limit every time they are fired up until shutdown.
Only thing Amsoil and Redline do better than the commoner oils is empty your wallet faster. People "saying" boutique oils somehow protect better than others has no merit or verifiable proof. They work excellent, but, so does the oil you can buy at Walmart.

Based on personal experience with AMSOIL (back by UOA) I can recommend it if cost is not an issue. Hope this helps

Why not go Schaeffers,Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Enos/Idemitsu?Lots of moly in these,you dont need to be a member and they all have a great following.Better yet, run Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and relax.

Depends on your goal. Amsoil can run longer OCI, depending on the status of your engine and driving conditions. For long term, I would go Amsoil and get a UOA after the second run. Pablo on these forums is the Amsoil sponsor. He will give you the best price and is a pleasure to deal with. I don't know him personally, only through sales.

Try Amsoil and if your not happy, try Redline. You can google UOA's of both oils and decide what is best for you and your vehicle/weather conditions. Every vehicle/person (driving style is different, so some oils work better than others, depending. Both are great oils. Good hunting!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Both are total overkill for that engine. Why not run some Dexos approved PP, M1, Valvoline, or Castrol? Boutique oils only really shine in extremely high stress situations, the likes of which you'll never push a street car to. I'm talking about modded to the nuts track cars, blown dragsters, and high performance motorcycles being pushed to the limit every time they are fired up until shutdown.
Only thing Amsoil and Redline do better than the commoner oils is empty your wallet faster. People "saying" boutique oils somehow protect better than others has no merit or verifiable proof. They work excellent, but, so does the oil you can buy at Walmart.

+1

Now with that said... If Amsoil, or Redline make you sleep better at night, then by all means, choose the one that you 'feel', to be the 'better' oil. I'm sure, Amsoil and Redline will do just fine, they are great oils, nonetheless... but so will any oil that meets the spec at Walmart.

I think that there's one oil missing in all these suggestions. I think that Exxon Mobil makes an oil called Mobil 1 that's available everywhere and works well. Maybe you can do a search and see if someone here on BITOG has ever used it. (lol)

If you need a UOA for Red Line try this LINK

Originally Posted By: Ian1982
Hey guys, prepping for my next OC. Going with either Redline 5w-30 or Amsoil SS 5w-30 .2013 GMC with 5.3 LC9. Whatcha guys got? Thank you in advance

GMC 5.3 V8? How about olive oil from Costco? Just make sure it is extra virgin.

Tough one.

"renowned pyramid scheme company" ?

Really. Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. Why would anyone believe you?

To the OP, if you are not planning an extended OCI, Amsoil OE or XL line will be just fine. Don't let others talk you out of any motor oil if they just spew made up rubbish.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Tough one.

Really. Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. Why would anyone believe you?

Easy fix Pablo, explain the multi level marketting scheme that's used to the beginners amongst us... to dispell the myths and lies.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Tough one.

Easy fix Pablo, explain the multi level marketting scheme that's used to the beginners amongst us... to dispell the myths and lies.

MLM is a legal, functional methodology to sell a product which despite mythology does not extend to infinity. Amsoil's mission is to deliver a good product and make a reasonable profit and have knowledgeable people closer to the customer. No different than Redline or other lubricant company. A pyramid scheme is an illegal activity with only money being passed on and has nothing at all to do with selling a product. For someone to post such a thing goes beyond pure ignorance.

MLM is a legal, functional methodology to sell a product which despite mythology does not extend to infinity. Amsoil's mission is to deliver a good product and make a reasonable profit and have knowledgeable people closer to the customer. No different than Redline or other lubricant company. A pyramid scheme is an illegal activity with only money being passed on and has nothing at all to do with selling a product. For someone to post such a thing goes beyond pure ignorance.

Clarified.

Originally Posted By: Ian1982

What do I think?
1) I think you've not given us nearly enough info to help make a credible decision
2) I think you've not put any effort into making a credible decision
3) I think you've acquiesced to a point where you'd rather someone else decide for you, but you're dead set on a uber-costly syn, all other considerations be darned

- Seriously, if you're planning on doing some very long, extended OCIs, along with monitoring progress with UOAs (watching trends and utilizing macro data as a guide), perhaps even getting some PCs, then I think either will do a decent job.
- If you're just going to run a "normal" OCI, I think you're grossly wasting money, and letting your emotions drive your maintenance program, rather than intellect.

Do as you see fit.

You're welcome in retrospect.

PS - neither of those companies mentioned are pyramid schemes; to imply that is disingenuous. They are legit companies and provide products that satisfy a large customer base. Whereas I see little use for them in many applications, that's not because I think the companies are full of illicit activity or mean-spirited marketing. They are premium products that are often mis-used by the end customer. But that's not the product's fault.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back