Any Honda Owner Used Non- Honda PS Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, posted this in PS fluid change thread too. But is there any Honda owner who have used non-Honda PS fluid? Asking from people who have experience with it
smile.gif

Now, PS fluid for an 06 Honda Civic EX, can I use CHF11s power steering fluid( left from my ex-Mercedes:)) or ATF or any PS fluid?

Since, I don't have any Honda PS on hand, or should rather stick to Honda one as a cheap insurance? Thanks for any help.

Hello,

Not sure if this is what your asking, but I have used Prestone, NAPA and Beck/Arnley Honda/Acura Power Steering fluid.

All have been with excellent results. I like to do a PS flush every 4 years. Also I have been a fan of adding Lubegard PS protectant. It allegedly can convert normal PS fluid to Honda/Acura fluid... but I use it just as an additive.

Thanks redhat. Curious, how did you find beck/arnley fluid?

Have you always added an additive? Thank you.

Auto Plus has Beck/Arnley fluid, and Pepboys might carry it (same company). I just like to seek out Honda/Acura fluid as I know that's what they call for these PS systems. Friend worked at AP and got me a very very good discount. I am sure their website could point you in the right direct direction.

Yes, I have always added the additive. I have had good results. Perhaps I'd have the same results without it, I do not know.

If you're doing a flush, you don't need tons of fluid, the systems don't hold a huge amount.

Thanks again Redhat. I have a prestone PS fluid and Autozone, both have stop leak in them too.

Autzone one says, not to be used with Honda vehicles. While Prestone says good with domestic and import.

I have pentosin 11s power steering fluid too. Now I am not sure if I should use penstosin or Prestone.
smile.gif

I have prestone Asian synthetic in there now . 3 yrs with no issues. Steers better in below zero temps after just starting out.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Now, PS fluid for an 06 Honda Civic EX, can I use CHF11s power steering fluid( left from my ex-Mercedes:)) or ATF or any PS fluid?

The only non-European application where I've seen mention of CHF 11S was for Infiniti in one of the Beck/Arnley publications some time ago. I haven't been able to come across it tonight.

Even if it were a suitable PSF for a Honda, and I've seen nothing stating that it is, it would require a proper flush of the power steering system. I have read application guide information that the Pentosin hydraulic fluids are not to be mixed with other type fluids. So, even if CHF 11S were suitable for Honda systems, a complete flush would be desired, and that's not exactly a cost effective procedure with Pentosin.

My experience with Honda P/S units is to use at least an aftermarket P/S fluid that is suitable for Honda/Acura vehicles, not just any P/S Fluid nor ATF.

I have used Bardahl & PYROL(Valvoline) P/S Fluid for HONDA/ACURA units with decent success. However these aftermarket P/S fluids don't work as well below ZERO Degrees F as the Honda Genuine P/S fluid.

Another thing about Honda P/S Fluid is that it works well and cures "GROANING" in other P/S units such as GM P/S units. I use Honda P/S Fluid exclusively(over 20 yrs) in the '80 Firebird FORMULA in my signature which is original from the day I bought it new.

In addition to my above statement(I forgot), I have also used Lubegard HONDA/Acura P/S Fluid with good success as well. Lubegard also has a P/S Fluid Additive that one can add to other P/S fluids which is supposed to convert other P/S fluids into Honda P/S fluid.

Also what I meant about using aftermarket Honda/Acura P/S fluids *below 0 deg's F* is that they don't seem(In my experience) to flow as well when really )))COLD((( as Honda Genuine P/S Fluid and causes hard(er) to even sticky steering with poor steering return, until it warms up.

HOW COLD? Oh IDK but I'm sure it varies, -10 to -15 degs F

Last edited:
I've used Bardahl for H/A PSF after my first Honda purchase in the mid 90's. Now I use Prestone for H/A PSF, many years and lots of miles. Never an issue and all have original pumps, or had when disposed of. So the two aftermarket 'for H/A PSFs' have worked well for me and Prestone will continue to be my go to. It's readily available at WM.

Not familiar with MB CHF11, but unless a for Honda spec could be confirmed I would not use it. Same goes for using just any PSF or ATF. Wouldn't use either of those.

The only other than for Honda/Acura PSF that I find intriguing is Prestone PSF labeled for "Asian manufactured vehicles". It's advertised as a:

Premium full-synthetic formulation specifically engineered for Asian vehicles, including Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus and all other Asian manufactured vehicles

This formula of Asian power steering fluid is not only designed for extreme temperatures, it also provides excellent low temperature operation while protecting against wear, foaming and corrosion to maintain optimal performance and deliver excellent oxidative stability for extended fluid life.

The one negative is, at WM it's more than two times as much as the Prestone for H/A PSF. Since the latter has worked well for me, no reason to pay the extra for Prestone Asian Synthetic PSF.

So beyond Honda PSF I wouldn't use anything other than a PSF specifically labeled for H/A and from a reputable brand.

I have used the NAPA Honda only PS fluid a time or 2 when I used to have a CRV. It was about $3.50 a bottle at NAPA. Seemed to work fine. About every 5 years I suck out the ps fluid reservoir with a turkey baster and replace with new fluid. Probably made at the same place as Honda fluid, with a new label or bottle.

Thanks all, I'll stay away from CHF11s too, now just left with Prestone, I might as well just buy Honda PS fluid.

Out of curiosity, Sayjac, can you please share a link for Prestone one? Which is available at Walmart? Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

^^^Yep, that's it. IME it works well, reasonably priced and readily available at WM. I'd add in my observation, seems to be a quick mover off the shelves. Sometimes have to allow for restock, but free two day ship to store is available if needed.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
^^^Yep, that's it. IME it works well, reasonably priced and readily available at WM. I'd add in my observation, seems to be a quick mover off the shelves. Sometimes have to allow for restock, but free two day ship to store is available if needed.

Thanks, once last thing: is it completely mixable with OEM honda fluid which is inside PS reservoir/pump?

I've used it to add to existing factory PSF, and as a turkey baster exchange series method. So ime, completely compatible with existing Honda PSF.

Most auto stores sell generic PS (Compatible with Honda), you are fine using them.

Don't be stingy, just swing by dealership and buy a few bottles pls. Just few $$s more.

I use my oil pump (with a new hose extension) to suction out my PS fluid every few years from reservoir and refill with fresh fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back