Pay attention to your accounts! My story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discovered today that someone initiated a PayPal transfer from my checking account, apparently in attempt to steal the funds. It made it to the point that it was removed from my account, but PayPal caught it and flagged it as suspect (I've used PayPal maybe 3 times in the last 5 years, if that). Changed password, filed report, etc. etc. The money will be back soon enough.

Two items of note: When I logged in to PayPal to reset my password, the entire page loaded in Spanish. Someone had changed the language preference. I found this odd, and also found it odd that PayPal hadn't alerted me to the money transfer. Then I remembered a strange email from yesterday, and sure enough there it was:

ITEM #2: A Spanish-language email, from PayPal, that (once translated) was the confirmation! Being that it was in the wrong language and unexpected, I incorrectly assumed that it was a phishing email and dismissed it. My mistake!

Any who... it's been a long Thursday. Almost the weekend folks!

Make sure to change your passwords at all other sites as well. And run a good virus and malware scanner. Spybot is free and works well for malware.

Most banks have text or email alerts on any activity on your account. If your bank doesn’t have this feature I would suggest it to them. Vigilance is key. Glad to hear this was caught.

More and more I have been using ApplePay as it adds a token to make things even harder for thieves.

Last edited:
Sorry man. My debit and credit card got hacked within a few months of each other. I’m guessing at the same gas station I always go to. Let’s say I don’t go there anymore.

Bummer. Thanks for the heads-up.

I have a PayPal account but NEVER had a need to tie it in with my checking acct.
I only use it for purchases online.

OP, at least consider removing your C/A from PayPal.

Set up 2 factor authentication on your PP account. They'll text you a code in order to access your account.

I got a text yesterday from "eBay" that my "confirmation number was 6DS&!?"

I called eBay and they said they never send texts to registered members, only emails.

I guess someone was phishing for some info?

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Set up 2 factor authentication on your PP account. They'll text you a code in order to access your account.

Yep. That is what I did after someone was ordering stuff online using my account. Also changed to a different email.

Always check the http header for "https" (not http) or depending on your browser, sometimes a padlock icon, when making any PayPal transaction, and it wouldn't hurt to look for the entire correct url (eg https paypal dot [-your country, for USA will be dotcom].

Use a decent (at LEAST 12 characters, numbers, top row alternate characters) password for Paypal and make it unique to PayPal.

Two Step Authentication can be a bit of a hassle but it's very secure. Consider using it.

It's a good idea to create an eMail address (suggest gMail) and use that exclusively for PayPal transactions.Don't use it for ordinary messages. If you do that, note that vendors from whom you purchase via PayPal will also use that address for communication. Just be sure that no-one you haven't done business with uses it.

I'm closing my PayPal account as soon as this is straightened out. I have no need for it.

Everything else has had recent password changes. I think I'm in the clear for now.

Here the trick to using paypal account:
1. Paypal MAKES you put in your checking account detail when you open a paypal account. I used a checking account I was about to close.
2. Paypal sends in 2 small deposits of 20 cents of something and has you confirm the amount.
3. Do it, once the paypal account is active, call you bank and close account the checking account.
4. Done, you never have to worry about the nice people in paypal again.
5. I use my amex to pay via paypal.

This is weird, just tried to get to the website paypal.com, and it automatically went to palpay.com....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back