Vredestein Quatrac 5 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
In early December I installed a set on the Clubman; the car has the base alloy wheels that take 175/65R15 conventional tires(this Cooper had to be special ordered, as it has Comfort Access, navigation, SiriusXM, and sport seats- an uncommon option set on a base model). One of the primary reasons I went with the Quatrac 5 was the fact it is an all-season tire that also wears the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol.
Over the past several days we've received several inches of snow and a bit of ice. The car performed like a champ on our un-plowed gravel farm road as well as on some snow covered secondary roads. On dry and wet pavement the handling is very good for a Grand Touring tire with an H speed rating, and NVH is excellent as well. At $67/tire from Tire Rack I think that the Quatrac 5 is a screaming bargain.

Surprised the price is so low. Its the cheapest winter tire on tirerack.com for my 215/55-17 size. And they appear to be a decent quality tire, and NOT made in a third-world country (Netherlands)! My expensive Michelin X-Ice3's are made in Thailand by comparison. X-Ice3's are great but these Quatracs look quite good as well.

Glad they are serving you well
thumbsup2.gif

How many miles have you put on them?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Surprised the price is so low. Its the cheapest winter tire on tirerack.com for my 215/55-17 size. And they appear to be a decent quality tire, and NOT made in a third-world country (Netherlands)! My expensive Michelin X-Ice3's are made in Thailand by comparison. X-Ice3's are great but these Quatracs look quite good as well.

Except that its not a winter tire.

Its a mountain/snowflake rated All-season.

Possibly in the "all-weather" category.

Definitely not winter only.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Except that its not a winter tire. Its a mountain/snowflake rated All-season. Possibly in the "all-weather" category. Definitely not winter only.
Yes there are shades of gray when looking at these tires. The Quatrac does a pretty good job being a jack of all trades. The X-Ice3 might be a little better on ice/snow than the Quatrac, yet the X-Ice3 retains a lot of dry hot weather performance and long teadlife. (Luv those X-Ice3's!!!)
Certainly new technology in tires have allowed all-season tires to become all-weather tires more now. I like not having to change tires at the seasons.

Vredestein have a very good reputation.

I out All Seasons on my wifes 2014 Picanto as I was giving it to my daughter for her Birthday.

I wanted it to have brand new tyres.

The tyre shop tried for Vredesteins but there was only 3 in stock in the UK in the size I wanted. 165/60/14.

So went with Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2.

A pity as I wanted to try Vredesteins again.

I don't doubt they will serve you well.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Glad they are serving you well
thumbsup2.gif

How many miles have you put on them?
smile.gif

So far we've only put @600 miles on them.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
So far we've only put @600 miles on them.

Cool! I hope you get many more enjoyable miles out of them. Please keep us updated
smile.gif

We had set of Vredesteins's Quatrac 3 tires on my wife's Saab 9-3SC for a few years, 2009 - 2012?. They wore faster than I had hoped but otherwise they were great tires. I guess early wear is a logical trade-off for a tire designed to also be great in winter snow and ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back