Button Cell Voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just replaced a key fob battery(CR1616) on my Civic, since it was working intermittently during brutal cold.

I checked voltage and new cell is showing 3.33V and one which came out is showing 2.96V.

Question is, if it's below 3V then it's almost dead?

I wasn't able to remove that dang screw and rounded it off, but some how hacked it after seeing a youtube video.

thumbsup2.gif

Only data point I have is button cell batteries used in my laser pistol grip. New they measure at 3.33 volts, and the laser barely lights when they get down to 3.17 volts. So yeah, I'd say at 2.96 volts they are pretty much wasted regardless of what they are in.

The ones I get, 2025's have 3.35v when new. My keyless go starts to complain about a weak battery when it hits 3.06 so I end up putting new ones in when it hits that. So I guess 2.96 is dead.

The rating is a nominal voltage. You may find they dip down to 3.0V when any sort of load is on them.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The rating is a nominal voltage. You may find they dip down to 3.0V when any sort of load is on them.

Yes, but a newish cell with an open circuit voltage of about 3.3V may dip below 3, a well loved cell with an OCV below 3V will collapse under load.

My rule is if the device is misbehaving and the OCV is below 3.2 I replace them. If I've taken the time to pop the cover and the battery isn't near enough to as-new I might as well replace it.

Yes, thanks for the confirmation. Key was acting up during cold weather. Otherwise, it was just fine. I did replace it with a new cell. Let's see how long it'll last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back