Anyone have a Bosch Dishwasher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at an 800 series Bosch Dishwasher. The worst I have read about them is they do not have a conventional heating element so the dishes do not dry as quick, nor thoroughly. I can deal with this. I need something that is reliable and can withstand a lot of use, 2 to 3 loads a day, many days. Lets say on average 12 loads a week.

We have a Maytag MDB4949smd and its 2 years old and has had the following issues

1.Upper wash arm channel fell apart- Common design defect

2. One Wash arm bushings wore out/ disintegrated,other is right behind, have to buy the whole wash arm

3.Grinder blade hub broke, blade has 10 year warranty labor not covered.

And....
4- and this is the biggie, The Maytag does not have a steam vent so to dry, steam condenses on the wall of the dishwasher and runs to the drain, the problem is the water fill mechanism is basically a glorified funnel to provide an air gap so you cant get dirty water into the fresh water fill line and into your water supply. This is open to the atmosphere somewhat and some steam escapes in between the left side of the washer and the cabinet, ruining the cabinet and causing a water damage issue on the cabinet and possible mold damage.

This is a common issue with no fix, a design defect. Kitchen aid, Maytag and whirlpool and some kenmores have this exact design. People either do not use the washer enough for it to be an issue, or have the issue and do not know.

We didn't know we had an issue until a few days ago when I removed the unit to remove the grinder blade for inspection/repair.

So the Bosch also uses a condensate system to dry the dishes and I am OK with that if its a better design than the Maytag. I can Find no noted issues with the Bosch as far as steam escaping the washer anywhere. I just dont want to spend 1k on a new dishwasher to have another set of issues.

The Bosch is Made in the USA which is important to me, but at this point I will Go Korean (LG) if they are superior. The Maytag is made in the USA and is junk not due to bad assembly, but bad design.

Anyone have a recommendation, comment or suggestion?

I liked the GE 620 series dishwasher, but many complaints of some problem that results in water leakage on the floor. Not going to chance buying another piece of junk, especially if there is a common failure mode that pukes water on the floor.

MAYTAG=NEVER AGAIN.

I would check out consumer reports.

Bosch use filters so you'll have to clean them regularly.

Mine had a few issues. Rinse aid leaking out is one. I changed the circulation pump at about the 9 year point.

My parents bought one over a Kitchen aid (which I have) and I think it's not nearly as good. It doesn't wash, dry or handle big chunks of food well. It is very quiet and well made just doesn't function as well. It wasn't a cheap model either but not sure which it is exactly. I love my Kitchen aid but I have noticed that it's slightly louder at 3 years old vs new. That's my story...

I would go with Kitchenaid. I have a Bosch and it is a constant source of irritation. Cleans "ok", but nothing like the Kitchenaid I used to have. Drying is mediocre and I constantly have to clean out the screen and suction area or it will throw error codes. On the plus side, it's quiet, I guess.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
I would check out consumer reports.

Bosch use filters so you'll have to clean them regularly.

Mine had a few issues. Rinse aid leaking out is one. I changed the circulation pump at about the 9 year point.

I used to be against the filters, thought they were stupid to be honest, but after this grinder debacle I see that some manufactures use filters because it is either hard or impossible to build a grinder that works reliably. The older Maytag/Whirlpool/kitchen aids have a grinder than be accessed from the inside of the washer so if there is a problem it can be fixed fairly easily and quickly, you can even take it apart once and a while to check it.

On the newer Maytags(never again) you have to remove the dishwasher, and flip it over to get at the grinder. Not the most difficult job but messy and difficult enough. I have a lot better things to be doing than pulling the dishwasher all the time to check to make sure the grinder blade and screen are clean.

So in hindsight the units with screens you have to clean are ok because the maytag has a screen that gets plugged but its in the belly of the beast.... JUNK.

So far I am leaning towards Bosch. Haven't heard any major concerns.

I have one and will never buy another.
During the first year, I had two service calls on the machine. Ended up having the control panel replaced on the unit.
Found that the machine's racks would not hold our dishes to allow for proper cleaning. Ended up replacing all our dishes. The thinner profile of the new ones improved the quality of the wash.
We were much happier with our old Whirlpool.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
I would go with Kitchenaid. I have a Bosch and it is a constant source of irritation. Cleans "ok", but nothing like the Kitchenaid I used to have. Drying is mediocre and I constantly have to clean out the screen and suction area or it will throw error codes. On the plus side, it's quiet, I guess.

The problem is the kitchen aid (at least the one I seen at lowes)has the Identical filler setup as my maytag. Its a built in steam leak into an enclosed area.

Does anyone make a dishwasher that is not junk? This is ridiculous.

Wemoved in ten years ago and there was a 1-2 year old Bosch SHX57C05UC/31 and have never had a problem. Changed the little metal screen once since I poked a hole in it and that’s it.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My parents bought one over a Kitchen aid (which I have) and I think it's not nearly as good. It doesn't wash, dry or handle big chunks of food well. It is very quiet and well made just doesn't function as well. It wasn't a cheap model either but not sure which it is exactly. I love my Kitchen aid but I have noticed that it's slightly louder at 3 years old vs new. That's my story...

I would be suspicious of your grinder. Our washer got a bit louder for a bit and then it was fine but eventually the screen started getting so clogged up the water pressure was not enough to turn the top arm.

I will do more research, maybe Bosch is not the answer.

FWIW Our Maytag 4949 was great when it was new. Looked great, worked amazing and was exceptional, its just that everything is literally disintegrating.

If it did not have the steam venting issue I would just fix it, but I cant have it venting steam into an enclosed space.

Right now its running great again, I just removed the broken grinder blade and it back at it. We just are rinsing the dishes really good before putting them in.

It seems like all dishwashers are disposable junk now, gone are the days of dishwashers that last 25 years. My GE is giving me intermitant latch issues, I have to adjust it every now and then. My parents have a kitchenaid that keeps breaking the strings that attach to the balance springs that hold up the door. Consumer reports says Bosch are the most reliable but I didnt’t buy one because I don’t think we want a strainer rather than a grinder. I have a hunch manufactures use strainers to get a better noise rating, better energy rating and to save cost. Consumer reports also says that lg and samsung are the absolute worst brands for reliability. I was actually looking at buying a maytag, lol.

Here is the grinder "blade" ....This is it, this is the grinder, nothing more. So the screen plugs. Somehow the shaft broke out from the center of the blade.

2 years of use, but in retrospect, I think that its been broke for almost a year, not really sure though.

Maytag, Never Again!

We used to in our old home. While we only lived there 5 yrs, the Bosch never gave us trouble. I loved how quiet it was.

Originally Posted By: Kage860
My GE is giving me intermitant latch issues, I have to adjust it every now and then.

I moved into a newly built house back in July 2014, and my kitchen has a GE dishwasher.
We had an on going fight with the dishwasher, having trouble getting the latch to properly engage, in order to run the dishwasher for the first few months after moving in.
Sometimes I would have to pull up on the dishwasher door while closing it in order to get it to engage the latch and allow the cycle to start.

It turns out that there was a recall on the series, that requires a technician to shim the door to the hinges at the bottom in order to have the latch properly engage.

You might want to check to see if yours might fall under the same recall.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Kage860
It seems like all dishwashers are disposable junk now, gone are the days of dishwashers that last 25 years. My GE is giving me intermitant latch issues, I have to adjust it every now and then. My parents have a kitchenaid that keeps breaking the strings that attach to the balance springs that hold up the door. Consumer reports says Bosch are the most reliable but I didnt’t buy one because I don’t think we want a strainer rather than a grinder. I have a hunch manufactures use strainers to get a better noise rating, better energy rating and to save cost. Consumer reports also says that lg and samsung are the absolute worst brands for reliability. I was actually looking at buying a maytag, lol.

Its aggravating. I would have been happy to get 4 years out of this unit with the amount of use it gets. 5 Years I would have been ecstatic. And if it wasn't for the steam issue, which even a new one has, I would have fixed this clunker.

Its really sad because the Maytag 4949 is a great unit otherwise. Made in USA, stainless tub, nice usable features, worked great, but poor design on several items. Makes me mad. It could have been a superb unit.

The Samsungs are absolute garbage, high dollar, made in china and Thailand you would think they would roll a little money they save from using Chinese labor into doing a descent job engineering the unit and use more durable materials. But no, they are J U N K. The guy at lowes told me he would not recommend anyone buy a Samsung DW. They are notorious for having constant issues.

Last edited:
I have a Maytag French door Fridge. Only one minor issue (drain tube plugged). Love it. Made in USA and works perfectly. Love it and the features, 8 years old now and still going good. So I like the fridge, but this dishwasher was a HUGE disappointment.

I have an LG Front load washer and dryer, almost 5 years old, heavy use and no issues yet except the add water light on the steam tank on dryer does not work any longer. But the washer works great in a sea of JUNK front load washers. LG had the higher rated washers at the time for Front loaders. Dishwashers seem kinda iffy.

Everything is designed to such a razor thin margin its disgusting. You would think that in 2018 you could buy a halfway reliable dishwasher.....

Bad thing is I talked my parents and a coworker into the Maytag4949 I liked it so well. American made, worked great, I was excited and felt good about our ability to make good machines here, which it is made well, just not designed well. The problem is not in manufacture or assembly it was design.

Maytag Never Again.

We have 2 Frigidair dishwashers with ome at each home. One is a qoieter model than the other. Both work great and have had no service calls with one at 5 years and the other at 4 years. No leaks either.

I have a Siemens which is usually the same as Bosch .. Have had two issues. One was the heater relay went early. It's a solder-on one of the boards. I upgraded to a heavier duty one, no more issues. BUT, gotta remember that they were designed for 220v Europe, so basically built for 1/2 the current load.

In order to not strain the built-in heater, just supply hot water from your system. The hotter the better. That way, there is little or no load on the built-in heater ...

Other issue was a door seal. Guess a knife was in the utensil tray and poked the seal. What happens is the overflow for the pump fills and you get a short cycle, or no run until all the water is out of the overflow. Has a safety float switch.

Other than that, it's been solid for 10 years or more
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back