5w-40 vs 10w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my 95 landcruiser I run 10w-40. For many reasons. With that said, 10w-40 is getting hard to find in stock in my area.

Would running 5w-40 negatively affect anything? I can't see how it could, but my brain is jello due to this cold I've got and I figured I should ask folks who are more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks in advance,

Will.

If there was any change no matter how insignificant I would say it would be a change for the better. You will at least do absolutely no harm. Startup lubrication would improve but the difference would be slight. So, change to the new viscosity and think of it as an upgrade.

My comments are slightly prejudiced. He's my thinking about my choice of oil for my DD's. 10w-30 is better than 30W. 5w-30 is better than 10w-30 and 0w-30 is better yet. So I run 0w-30 in my 3 daily drivers.

Can you get Mobil 1 or some synthetic like it on sale? Maybe consider 0w-40. Just a thought especially if your vehicle is a keeper and it gets cold where you drive or you're a short tripper. Oil today is very good at handling a larger spread in viscosity ratings.

A neighbor is running a 5w-50 oil in a father/son project car. They used to run the father's choice, 20w-50 but with exposure to BITOG on the part of the father by the son they "upgraded" to the 5w-50 and have experienced no problems. This car gets driven on the street and taken to the drag strip for bracket racing.

You should have no problems. I use Rotella 5w-40 in a 90s vintage roller block 302 in my 62 Falcon. Mu daughter's Rodeo uses oil. In that I use WalMart Super Tech HM 10w-40 which seems to be readily available.

I guess maybe it's a location thing? Every Walmart I've been into carries every major brand in 10W40.

Originally Posted By: Zukinut
10w-40 is getting hard to find in stock in my area.

Autozone just had all their 10W-40 on clearance for $2 a quart in December.

In my 95 landcruiser I run 10w-40. For many reasons. With that said, 10w-40 is getting hard to find in stock in my area.

Would running 5w-40 negatively affect anything? I can't see how it could, but my brain is jello due to this cold I've got and I figured I should ask folks who are more knowledgeable than me.

Thanks in advance,

Will.

I could not bring up a owners manual from 1995 but I was able to for 2000. 5W-30 was the preferred oil. Going to 5 on the lower end should not be a problem. It's what Toyota wanted you to do in the first place.

1995 Land Cruiser is 80 series - 4.5L I6 (1FZ-FE)
2000 Land Cruiser is 100 series - 4.7L V8 (2UZ-FE)

Completely different.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

...my thinking about my choice of oil for my DD's. 10w-30 is better than 30W. 5w-30 is better than 10w-30 and 0w-30 is better yet. So I run 0w-30 in my 3 daily drivers...

But isn't having move viscosity improves not always such a good thing? In a controlled environment of say 90 degrees F would a straight 30w be better that a 0w30?

Typically the lower the first number the better. However, if you are in a warm climate, the higher first number oils will shear less over time. Probably irrelevant if your engine is in good shape, but worth noting. That said, a 5w40 syn will shear less than a 10w40 conventional in most cases. In my case, i found that 0w40 is unnessesary for my climate. Even at -10F my Benz has no issues starting with 5w40 synpower. And we might see that temp twice a year. The 5w40 seems a bit quieter than the 0w40 M1 the previous owner used. But that was used oil and a different brand, so not exactly a fair comparison.

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Typically the lower the first number the better.

Or the other way around.

Depending on who you ask.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Exactly!

Your spec'd viscosity and capacity is:

VISCOSITIES:
Below 50 F .5W-30
Above 0 F .10W-30
CAPACITIES: With filter 7.8 quarts After refill check oil level.
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...18 ft/lbs

I see supertech 10-40 all the time at walmart. Or if u order enough thru their website get free shipping of whatever 10-40 u want

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
1995 Land Cruiser is 80 series - 4.5L I6 (1FZ-FE)

For the 1FZ-FE engine, Castrol Australia and Valvoline Australia say to run a mineral 15W40 (like GTX 15W40) or a semi-synthetic 10W40 (like DuraBlend 10W40). BTW just about all our 10W40's here are A3/B4 semi-synthetics - it's a oil we get from our Euro brothers.

Anyway, over your side of the world, I would seriously consider a mixed fleet HDEO like Rotella, Delo, Delvac, etc
- Winter (or year round) a full synthetic 5W40 HDEO
- Summer a mineral 15W40 HDEO
In Australia I would just run the 15W40 mineral year round, as it never gets very cold here.

Originally Posted By: sohccammer427
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

...my thinking about my choice of oil for my DD's. 10w-30 is better than 30W. 5w-30 is better than 10w-30 and 0w-30 is better yet. So I run 0w-30 in my 3 daily drivers...

But isn't having move viscosity improves not always such a good thing? In a controlled environment of say 90 degrees F would a straight 30w be better that a 0w30?

My Red Line 0w-30 has no VI's.

Don't run 30W in a modern engine. It is very difficult to find a straight 30W oil that meets any current spec's.

I will Oneyejack that Pennzoil SAE 30 grade meets API SN. The Warren 30 grade oil I ran in the lady's Camry last summer meet API SN has well. I'd bet money Valvoline SAE 30 grade meets API SN has well. Plus others I'm fairly sure.

Having said that
smile.gif

I hope you have been doing good. Always good to see you on here.

Hi, bbhero.

Your point is well taken. I guess my statement about 30W spec was clouded by racks of 30W oil in convenience stores and dollar stores that absolutely do not meet spec's for modern cars.

I watched a young man walk out of a convenience store with 2 quarts of 30W wonder old and pour it into his LS400. I checked a bottle on the shelf and it definitely should not go into that car. The young clerk even commented to the guy about what it appeared he was going to do. The LS400 driver said that oil is just oil and he's not stupid enough to pay for the expensive stuff. I was going to say something but the man's fragrance arrived a few paces before he did and I thought it would be a waste of time. My wife and I gave him a wide berth and the clerk checked out on the other side of the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back