Lowest NOACK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking , how would you rate these synthetic oils from lowest to highest NOACK ?

My guess would be :
5W20
0W20
5W30
0W30

I can run any of these oils but lowest NOACK appears to play nicer (i.e. intake deposits) in a DI engine.

Amsoil signature series, redline, Castriol edge bio. Pennzoil platinum euro 0w30 states lower inlet deposits. The add pack plays a role.

This is just one brand (and a boutique one at that), but the NOACKs for the Amsoil SS line are conveniently available on a single PDS page...
5W20 5.8%
5W30 6.7%
0W20 8.5%
0W30 8.8%.
IMHO, these results are all quite good.
If we mix in the non-"dexos1 Gen 2" grades, it's a little more confusing (quotes because these oils don't actually have that license)...
10W30 4.1%
5W20 5.8%
5W50 6.1%
5W30 6.7%
0W40 7.7%
0W20 8.5%
0W30 8.8%.
Still nice numbers all around...I have to assume that 5W50 beats 5W30 and 0W40 beats 0W30 and 0W20 due to different base oils, but I'm just guessing there. Interesting to note that the XW30s are not high HTHS oils, all around 3.1 for that test.

Never found it to matter unless tackling competition motorsports.

After a 1 hour DP solvent burn-off what's the NOACK of a the oil going forward?

You are chasing the wrong thing by chasing the lowest NOACK number for intake valve deposits. The crank case is full of oil spray, oil vapor and blow by gases and conbustion by product particles.

Originally Posted By: CT8
You are chasing the wrong thing by chasing the lowest NOACK number for intake valve deposits. The crank case is full of oil spray, oil vapor and blow by gases and conbustion by product particles.

What oil properties should be considered when looking to combat di valve deposits

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
Originally Posted By: CT8

What oil properties should be considered when looking to combat di valve deposits
the deposits are more than just the oil noack.

Thanks for the replies - looks like using top tier gas , synthetic 5W30 and OCI's of approx. 4,000 miles for suburban driving near a big city is a good bet for GDI engines .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back