Deka/East Penn vs JCI battery (AAP, WM vs Oreilly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm battery shopping. It's a group 34 for the Lacrosse, to replace a just-out-of-warranty JCI AcDelco.

The best deal is an Everstart Maxx for just over $100. 3 year warranty.
It says "distributed by Johnson Controls" but is the new flat top design.

Advance has an Autocraft Gold that I can get for just a bit more ($110 or so) due to coupon codes, and it looks just like the Everstart. Sealed caps.
(They will be transitioning to Interstate coming up.)

These both seem to be JCI batteries. People say hit or miss, like anything.

Another - more expensive - option is the SuperStart Extreme at O'Reilly.
This is supposedly a Deka/East Penn product. It's about $20-30 more but if it's a more well-regarded product than the JCI batteries, I'll do it.

What do you all think? JCI or East Penn/Deka?

Flat-top Everstart Maxxs are supposedly Dekas. If you can get one at Walmart prices and warranty, I'd do it (and I plan to).

Check out Sears for a Die Hard Gold, there will probably be 2 listed for the same price on ends in JC and the other EP which is Eastern Penn aka DEKA. They are often on sale less than AA.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Check out Sears for a Die Hard Gold, there will probably be 2 listed for the same price on ends in JC and the other EP which is Eastern Penn aka DEKA. They are often on sale less than AA.

Bingo. Have a Die-Hard branded East Penn AGM in the Carrera.

NAPA batteries are East Penn as well. My local store had a deal on batteries last time I was there.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Bingo. Have a Die-Hard branded East Penn AGM in the Carrera.

NAPA batteries are East Penn as well. My local store had a deal on batteries last time I was there.

Napa batteries are regional, just like O'Reilly, depends on the location. Around here most Napa batteries are also JC

Good information and thanks. Was just looking at Sears for a 51R battery for my Civic. They list two (2) models. One is EP-51R for $101.24 and the other is JC-51R for $98.24

Originally Posted By: Richie
Good information and thanks. Was just looking at Sears for a 51R battery for my Civic. They list two (2) models. One is EP-51R for $101.24 and the other is JC-51R for $98.24

Sears could go belly up soon. I'd prefer to get a battery from a more stable company.

I think the Autocraft Silver I mentioned is a Johnson Controls battery if that makes a difference.

Completely agree and why I will not buy one. The Sears Auto Center near my house closed up last year

[/quote]

Sears could go belly up soon. I'd prefer to get a battery from a more stable company. [/quote]

Check out Costco,the same battery for $76.00,with free replacement for the first 42 months.Where can you beat that price and free replacement of 42 months?

Ended up putting in an ACDelco Gold for $130, cheaper than I could get the Super start.
It has a better warranty than any of the others, 42 months free replacement.
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: oilmutt
Check out Costco,the same battery for $76.00,with free replacement for the first 42 months.Where can you beat that price and free replacement of 42 months?

I really wish they had my size in the store because the price is unbeatable.

You can now look up the prices online.

https://costco.interstatebatteries.com/

Originally Posted By: Richie

Sears could go belly up soon. I'd prefer to get a battery from a more stable company.

Die Hards are not going anywhere. If they do bite the dust the company that buys the name will still warranty them through the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Last year, I spent weeks researching batteries. I go to some desolate areas, so I need a battery (group 65) I can count on. Prior to this I was using a Sears Platinum battery made by Odyssey. Sears discontinued the Platinum and I decided to purchase an Odyssey battery. 60lbs. They are expensive, but it gives me peace of mind. I still carry a battery jumper with me while camping in mountains etc.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back