Semi Metallic Brake Pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Suburban 4wd 5.3L came OEM ceramic pads. From what i can tell it was fitted with these for quietness and long lasting in day to day driving.

My use of the vehicle is mostly towing and mountain driving so i am thinking that semi metallic pads are better suited for my needs.

Semi metallics are usually last to pop up when looking at Napa, Advance..and dont even show up at O'Reillys.

The price at NAPA etc is almost too cheap $16 Proformer for the front. Then the next choice i have is $70 for the Ultra Premium Semi Metallics.

Advance has about 5 or 6 variations from Silver to Gold to Platinum to Frontline Severe Duty.

For $30 i can get Wagner Thermoquiet Semi Metallic from Amazon.

I am most likely looking at an FF friction rating in most of these semi-metallics..but by going with the wagner thermoquiet ceramics i can bump it up to GG.

Most of the reviews i see on amazon are either great or bad with the bad being that they sent the wrong pads or had the wrong pads listed.. so i would prefer to buy at NAPA where i can get a very good discount or Advance where I can use coupon codes. I know the manager at OReilly so i can get deep discounts there too..but i would have to go with a ceramic.

So am i thinking wrong that semi-metallics are the way to go for me?

My current setup is the rear rotors are OEM and rusted badly in the vanes the pads look to be semi metallic and at least 10 years old, the front has new rotors and the cheapest ceramics from the previous owner. It stops ok and braking isnt magnificent..but i think a better pad front and new rotors and better pads in the rear will give me added safety and stopping power for sure.

Stay away from AAP Silver ones... telling from experience.

I have no experience with towing, but I recently went with Wagner TQ(front, have not installed) and Centric ceramic for rear. For my application and driving, it's great. YMMV.

New rotors and pads all around seem to be a good idea. Yes, I think semi metallic is the way to go for you. Maybe flush and fill the brake fluid too.

Raybestos has their Hybrid pad. I have used them on several trucks for customers that wanted better high temp braking but not to much more dust/noise.

Semi metallics are usually last to pop up when looking at Napa, Advance..and dont even show up at O'Reillys.

The retailers seem to be pushing the usually more expensive ceramic pads. Personally, I also prefer semi-metallic pads as well.

Quote:
For $30 i can get Wagner Thermoquiet Semi Metallic from Amazon.

I've used the Thermoquiets several times on my minivans, I don't tow but Grand Caravans are heavy and need good pads. They don't last as long as the ceramics, but I usually change the pads when they are still good, around 30k to 40k. Happy with them.

Ceramic? Why do you want sandpaper for pads?

I just put some midgrade on the rear of my rogue. Terrible no bite. I was rushed , I didn't take time to chamfer leading edge and saw cut some gas vent sipes in the pad.

Still I imagine Aluminum oxide is just a small part of the garbage that goes into the friction material.

Just like Synthetic oil is a minor ingredient in our Major Synthetic in the U.S.
smile.gif

Sad - True.

I only had good luck with Raybestos in the distant past. Who knows these days.

Last edited:
FWIW when my wife delivered mail the only pads that didn't leave deposits on the rotors(vibration) was the semi-metallic.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
New rotors and pads all around seem to be a good idea. Yes, I think semi metallic is the way to go for you. Maybe flush and fill the brake fluid too.

Agreed; semi metallics and definitely flush the brake fluid- you don't want the pedal going to the floor on a steep downhill grade...

I don't think you'll see anything above an EE on a domestic semi-met pad, the ThermoQuiet Ceramics I installed for a friend's 1998 Tahoe are either FF/FE rated and he doesn't forsee towing anything.

I'd get a "severe-duty/fleet" semi-metallic pad. It will hold up better than a "ceramic" pad for towing and heavy usage. Can't hurt to get new rotors but I'd also flush out the brake fluid with fresh stuff - ATE Type 200 would be the best, Castrol Synthetic would also be good. High-end DOT4 fluids have a vastly better dry/wet boiling point and since you tow and drive in the mountains that can help stave off brake fade.

I've seen 2 responses so far advising to replace pads and rotors. I don't change a rotor unless it is damaged. If I catch the brake pads while they still have mat'l, why change the rotors? Seems like a waste to me.

Originally Posted By: nthach
I don't think you'll see anything above an EE on a domestic semi-met pad, the ThermoQuiet Ceramics I installed for a friend's 1998 Tahoe are either FF/FE rated and he doesn't forsee towing anything.

I'd get a "severe-duty/fleet" semi-metallic pad. It will hold up better than a "ceramic" pad for towing and heavy usage. Can't hurt to get new rotors but I'd also flush out the brake fluid with fresh stuff - ATE Type 200 would be the best, Castrol Synthetic would also be good. High-end DOT4 fluids have a vastly better dry/wet boiling point and since you tow and drive in the mountains that can help stave off brake fade.

This post https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3830353/Wagner_Thermoquiet_friction_ra says that the Thermoquiet ceramics are GG for a few applications.. i guess the only way to know is to go into a store and look to see if its labeled on the pad.

Yeah im looking at the severe duty/emergency vehicle/police type pads but a few reviews say they really need warmed up well to do the best job.

I have seen a few posts on various forums where guys swap out the rubber brake hoses for stainless steel braided...not sure if its worth the money and hassle.

I recently changed all brake fluids for DOT3 Prestone due to having a gallon on hand.. would DOT4 make a difference?

Originally Posted By: andyd
I've seen 2 responses so far advising to replace pads and rotors. I don't change a rotor unless it is damaged. If I catch the brake pads while they still have mat'l, why change the rotors? Seems like a waste to me.

Flame on, but same here. If the rotor has no damage and wasn't exhibiting signs of damage prior, I just swap pads, follow bed in procedures, and move along. Given, none of my vehicles are driven spiritedly.

The only times I order rotors is on family/friend's cars when they show up and ask "why does my car sound like something's grinding?"

The only times I order rotors is on family/friend's cars when they show up and ask "why does my car sound like something's grinding?"

"zactly
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Originally Posted By: nthach

This post https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3830353/Wagner_Thermoquiet_friction_ra says that the Thermoquiet ceramics are GG for a few applications.. i guess the only way to know is to go into a store and look to see if its labeled on the pad.

Yeah im looking at the severe duty/emergency vehicle/police type pads but a few reviews say they really need warmed up well to do the best job.

I have seen a few posts on various forums where guys swap out the rubber brake hoses for stainless steel braided...not sure if its worth the money and hassle.

I recently changed all brake fluids for DOT3 Prestone due to having a gallon on hand.. would DOT4 make a difference?

Wagner tends to be all over the place for friction ratings(co-efficients) - I've installed a set on an old car I drove that were GG rated, while the ones I've installed on a friend's car were FG or GF rated. The semi-met TQs I installed in another friend's car were EE, and the most recent ones I've installed, ceramic QC369 were FE or FF.

Semi-metallic pads do need to be warmed to work best - there's good reason why you hear about racers having to warm their brakes up, some semi-met compounds work better than others when it's cold. I recall using PBR Metal Masters once and I didn't feel too much of a difference between hot and cold stopping, but there is a distinct difference.

Braided stainless/Teflon lines do help with brake feel - they don't compress or flex like rubber lines do. Not all lines are created equal, I'd trust a Goodridge or Aeroquip braided line more than a Chinese one. I think you drive a GMT800/900 and GM made some much needed braking improvements over the GMT400's brakes.

DOT4 compared to DOT3 buys you more safety margin from vapor lock when the absorbed water boils out of the fluid - DOT3 fluids have a 400*F/280*F dry/wet boiling point. The newer DOT3 formulations do advertise a higher dry boiling point, but it's the wet one I feel that matters more. DOT4 is also more hygroscopic but are formulated to handle that moisture better.

You might like one of these:
Wagner OEX or Severe Duty
Akebono Performance Ultra (part number starting with ASP-)
Hawk LTS
EBC Greenstuff 6000

For the rotors, get something that is coated, which will help stop the rust. Wagner E-shield and Centric Premium are the best ones to get.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
The retailers seem to be pushing the usually more expensive ceramic pads. Personally, I also prefer semi-metallic pads as well.

Same here.

The ceramics = FAR LESS brake dust,

....but semi-metallic grab the disc better and brake better. (but are very dirty)

Tbh the only difference between semi-metallic pads and ceramic ones I've ever encountered is the semi-mets I've used are loud as [censored]. Never noticed a difference in braking performance. As a side note, I've used centric c-tek ceramic pads before, and they've come with a GG rating. They rarely squeak, and when they do, it's not terrible.

Can't get hung up on marketing buzzwords. "Ceramic" is one of them, a pad may only have 1% ceramic content and be labelled as such. Pads come in over one million flavors!

The pad tells you what the performance parameters are by reading the two letter code on the pads.

All pads squeal or make noise, ceramics just move the noise beyond the range of human ears. Braking advice is wildly platform specific. So YMMV...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You might like one of these:
Wagner OEX or Severe Duty
Akebono Performance Ultra (part number starting with ASP-)
Hawk LTS
EBC Greenstuff 6000

For the rotors, get something that is coated, which will help stop the rust. Wagner E-shield and Centric Premium are the best ones to get.

The Akebono ASP pads are the OE supplier of the Delco pads that my vehicle came with. Kind of pricey but a bit cheaper than OEM Delco parts. Always good reviews of very long life Ceramic.

OEX- not a fan of the style of the pad

Hawk and EBC always good reviews. pricey

For online ordering im leaning towards the Wagner Severe Duty and the Bendix Fleet Metlok for now with Wagner winning due to price and the metlok seem to be a fleet style pad for taxis etc.

The Wagner Severe Duty is the only one that i can get at a Brick and Mortar as far as i can tell.

I want to swing by NAPA and take a look at their $20 vs their $80 pads to see where the $60 difference lies. If they are both rated at FF and countries of origins are similar why would you pay $60 more?

I would also like to swing by Advance afterward and look at the Wagner Severe Duty pads to compare.

I have no problem paying $75 for a set of pads but i am curious if the extra $40 isnt for brand name and marketing.

Oil filters get dissected on a daily basis but brakes are pretty much a mystery with the companies outsourcing and never listing friction ratings..

As far as online reviews- most that I see are biased towards dust on the rims and how one pad makes a different colored dust and how much effort was put towards cleaning said dust.. jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back