Soap that doesn't grow mold in the caulking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was using Olay's glycerin soap for the last few months and suddenly everything grows mold in the shower stall and tub area. I'm wondering if there is a soap that won't dry your skin but won't grow mold (glycerin) either? It is for me only so it doesn't have to smell too nice (low to no odor is ideal) and reasonably price would be ideal.

I don't have any mold issues using Almond milk soap or Goats milk soap. Can probably find some handmade stuff at a farmer's market or co-op. It's done wonders for my skin too. Not scented either. It's about $3.50-4 a bar.

Clorox bleach in the joints. Need to kill the mold, or it'll be back, no matter what you use ...
frown.gif

Here's what I use. I love this stuff!! Never dries my skin out,not the least bit oily,it's the perfect balance:

I have the same issues ever since having a grout floor in my shower. I have used this product with decent success:

http://www.concrobium.com/

I plan to get a bleach cleaner or bleach foaming product to remove all the mold and then give my whole shower a spray with this product all over and let it sit overnight. (per the instructions on the bottle). Not sure if you can get this product there.. I also know they sell a sealant for grout, but not sure how well it might work.. I am going to try the concrobium and see how long it lasts... I am not sure if its only linked to the soaps we use... mostly bottled body wash.

Pandabear,
first start with installing a filter for the shower.
It made my ladies not "scratchy" anymore.

Is the grout sealed?

caulking and other surfaces should get diluted beach cleaning solution, or the mold treatment from your local homedepot/lowes.

you can get a brush in the chuck of a drill and have at it.

you can always get us a picture to know how serious.

are the main users the adults or your kids (big splashing assumed)?

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Maybe try running the exhaust fan for longer periods of time... in my master bath, the fan is on a timer for 1hr post showering.

these days beside timers, they also have humidity sensors....

The down stair bathroom is a shower stall, plastic / composite wall and caulking between panel. It was molding like crazy ever since I start using the glycerin soap.

The up stair bathroom has a tub with sliding door, and tiled walls that has unsealed grout. It mold a bit but not as bad as the down stair bathroom. When I do clean my wife told me to use about 10% bleach solution but it doesn't seems to completely clean it out (it does clean somewhat, probably about 70% I'd say).

I know, I should clean it once in a while but I never do, just too busy in life. I used to use Ivory but I think it dry up my skin pretty bad, and the Olay glycerin soap is just "too sticky" afterward. Recently I replaced the old caulking with DAP's Kwik Seal Ultra (supposed to be lifetime mold resistance guarantee).

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
The down stair bathroom is a shower stall, plastic / composite wall and caulking between panel. It was molding like crazy ever since I start using the glycerin soap.

The up stair bathroom has a tub with sliding door, and tiled walls that has unsealed grout. It mold a bit but not as bad as the down stair bathroom. When I do clean my wife told me to use about 10% bleach solution but it doesn't seems to completely clean it out (it does clean somewhat, probably about 70% I'd say).

I know, I should clean it once in a while but I never do, just too busy in life. I used to use Ivory but I think it dry up my skin pretty bad, and the Olay glycerin soap is just "too sticky" afterward. Recently I replaced the old caulking with DAP's Kwik Seal Ultra (supposed to be lifetime mold resistance guarantee).

Different conditions(humidity) may cause mold to grow. What I do is pour 8 oz clorox in the drain might be where the mold is growing due to moisture and humidity. Hit the source first. Let it sit over night door shut with a fan and windows open. Straight clorox can give a strong odor.

As far as existing mold just scrub down with soap or 25% clorox solution.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Maybe try running the exhaust fan for longer periods of time... in my master bath, the fan is on a timer for 1hr post showering.

these days beside timers, they also have humidity sensors....

They do, but I decided on a simple adjustable timer... figured it'd be more reliable than those sensors.

We have a large walk in shower used daily by both of us. A super small dehumidifier runs all the time right in a corner where it doesn't get wet.

14 years and never a speck of mold or mildew. Saves a lot of cleaning....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back