Mercon V options and cold weather performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any differences in cold weather performance/flow ratings for any of the standard Mercon V ATF options out there? Or will all Mercon V fluids be the same?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Are there any differences in cold weather performance/flow ratings for any of the standard Mercon V ATF options out there? Or will all Mercon V fluids be the same?

I'm going with this: "all Mercon V fluids are the same" (if they meet Mercon V specifications)

I feel quite certain that extreme low temp flow would be affected by base oil type. Typically a full syn Mercon V should have better extreme low temp flow. Fore example, Mobil 1 full synthetic Mercon V vs Supertech Mercon V.

The recent cold weather is resulting in a lot of questions and that is good, but really folks, we are using products like Mercon V up in Canada in cold weather on a routine basis. -20 F up here is no bid deal.

SF

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The recent cold weather is resulting in a lot of questions and that is good, but really folks, we are using products like Mercon V up in Canada in cold weather on a routine basis. -20 F up here is no bid deal.

SF

Yeah, that isn't even remotely related to the question.

I believe the standard BITOG response will go something like "Definitely get the bestest synthetic you can find... but you don't need it. Just be sure its a licensed MERCON V fluid."

Originally Posted By: buck91
I believe the standard BITOG response will go something like "Definitely get the bestest synthetic you can find... but you don't need it. Just be sure its a licensed MERCON V fluid."

I'm aware and I have no real issue with that but you never know what gems can be found on this forum. The cold weather data isn't available for the Motorcraft and ST variants. I was hoping someone here had some inside info on which standard Mercon V might just be a bit different from the others.

i wish I could get schaeffers at a reasonable price. I'd love to support a local company like that.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
i wish I could get schaeffers at a reasonable price. I'd love to support a local company like that.

Wholesale pricing is at your fingertips!!!

Originally Posted By: salesrep

transgard citgo -65f

Both Motorcraft and SuperTech are often/typically Citgo products.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: salesrep

transgard citgo -65f

I finally found a motorcraft mercon V datasheet and its pour point is -54F. Not the same stuff.

Yep defintely can confirm the Ford Motorcraft Mercon V pour point is -54 F but I guess we don't know if that changes time to time with supplier. It shouldn't if they were adamant about their specs.

Last edited:
To the schaeffer rep or anyone who knows the answer.Schaeffers All trans supreme says can be used for all >Dexron-III MERCON and MERCON V Chrysler ATF +3 and +4<. So this would be a one size fits all trans fluid? But why would i use this in my 2010 mountaineer that requires mercon V. Mercon V is not used for Dexron-III Chrysler ATF +3 and +4. Would the extra additives to meet all the extra spec somehow benefit my trans or have an adverse effect or have no effect at all. I do use motorcraft mercon V

Originally Posted By: littleant
To the schaeffer rep or anyone who knows the answer.Schaeffers All trans supreme says can be used for all >Dexron-III MERCON and MERCON V Chrysler ATF +3 and +4div>

It's the infamous one size fits all issue. Some like it, some don't.

The fully synthetic Mercon V's like Mobil 1 ATF probably have a stronger add pack too. I'm using Amalie Mercon V. No issue after 18 months/10,000 miles. I will change it by 15K-20K as this trans is known for a shorter life if not treated well. I doubt there are big differences in the Merc V's unless you get temps well below -20 deg F. Not an issue for most people. With Merc V, it's the high end temperature performance that will generally determine how your tranmission survives.

I've used M1 ATF for 25-30 years in trans and PS pumps in several different Fords. No failures, PS pump works great in extreme cold and trans shift very good up and down.

Here are photos of the Valvoline Max Life ATF. On the back is the list they say what it will fill in for. Can’t really agree it’s good for for LV as well as Mercon V but I’m using it in the power steering pump on the high recommendation of some

Bitoggers.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Last I was aware, admittedly a number of years ago, Motorcraft lubricants were ConocoPhillips products. No clue who blends for SuperTech, but I use their Mercon V in all my Fords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back