5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a post started a few days ago about cleaning oils, it got me thinking. Of the following oils which would be considered the best cleaning oil?

Castrol Edge 5W30
Pennzoil Platinum 5W30
Valvoline Syn Maxlife 5W30
M1 EP 5W30

It would be run in a 4.8 Vortec Chevy 1500 with a Fram TG10060 for 6k oci.
Also which is the thickest at operating temp?

You need to work on your thread titling skill.

1. What makes you think anything needs cleaning?

2. Lookup the viscosity spec online - you've been a member since 2011...

All are good oils. I would use whatever is cheapest and perhaps change the oil more often like 4-5k miles vs 6k. Don’t which is the thickest at operating temp. If u want thicker, use 10w30

There is absolutely no evidence that anyone can point to that would indicate what a "best" oil is ...
Not the "best" cleaning oil.
Not the "best" cold weather oil.
Not the "best" wearing oil.

Yada yada yada.

There are plenty of good oils. But no one here I know of has a shred of credible data to prove what is the "best" of anything.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
There are plenty of good oils. But no one here I know of has a shred of credible data to prove what is the "best" of anything.

I totally agree. If people present an opinion without a shred of evidence to back it up, ban them for life!

I don't believe there is much difference in the 5W-30 oils produced by the major oil suppliers. They all have an SN rating and will give good service in engines requiring a 5W-30 oil. Change the oil at the recommended intervals and you will never know the difference between the oils.

I pretty much agree with that 46Harry, but you'll be upsetting the wanna-be chemists at this forum. LOL.

coffee2.gif

Dnewton3 you know full well this idea comes from.. Pennzoil advertising, Castrol advertising etc etc... Look at what some of these oil claim to do. That's where people get stuck on the "cleaning" or prevention aspects of oils. Now I am not saying Pennzoil or Castrol is bad for doing that. It's their job to promote their products to the market. For the record I like Castrol Ultraclean myself. But that's just a personal preference. Nothing more to it.

Last edited:
Exactly, the way I figure is, the used vehicles I can afford to buy always have over 80K on them and some well over 100K and I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time and look for another once they get above 300K. Since I have had several vehicles go to 300K and beyond with regular oil, that is good enough for me. I would be looking to get rid of the vehicle at 300K no matter what type of oil is in the pan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back