Quaker State Ultimate 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had it in my Corolla for nearly 4500 miles now. Seems to be doing well I've had to add a half a cup so far. But I lost most of that in the first 400 miles. I changed the PCV and the consumption dropped to near zero.

If you're going to use an ILSAC oil, QSUD should be just fine in your 2.0 Ecoboost. It's dexos1 Gen2 approved which is meant for GDI small displacement Turbo applications in an effort to offer more protection against LSPI (catastrophic knock) and more timing chain protection.

Last edited:
Thats good stuff
I ran it about 6k miles in camry
Even then it still looked gold n clear
On the dipstick.
Also ran it in a 2010 murano super short tripped
And it handled it beautifully for 5k miles

But all these engines i use are simple
L4 and v6 so thats all i can speak for

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I've had it in my Corolla for nearly 4500 miles now. Seems to be doing well I've had to add a half a cup so far. But I lost most of that in the first 400 miles. I changed the PCV and the consumption dropped to near zero.

I notice that when I change oil brands, I need to add a bit of oil during the first 500 or so miles on this 1ZZFE.

OP,

Alot of folks have good experience with that oil, I am sure it will do great for you.

This is a fantastic oil with lots of specs. Budget friendly diamond in the rough Grp IIi synthetic oil. I used off and on in a 2012 Hyundai Accent GDi and it ran great.I use the 0w20 QSUD when I dont use PUP 0w20 and it runs almost as well.

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
I would have thought Ecoboost engines were very hard on oil with the turbo.

Me too. In fact I was considering an Edge or an Escape but you could only get the lowliest model with a 2.5 engine so I passed! I don't need a Turbo with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine.

I think it's a good oil. I have run it in various vehicles over the years with no issues. It is currently in my wife's Durango Citadel with the Pentastar. Used it almost exclusively previously in our Mazda CX-9. And us midwesterners can get it cheap at Menards when it goes on sale.

To make a judgement concerning the quality of an oil, run it for 100 to 200K. Short term use doesn't tell much.

Ford must have a lot of faith in their engineering of the EcoBoost engines
smirk.gif
. Their oil specification of WSS-M2C946-A can be met by conventional oils in addition to synthetic blends and synthetic oils. Which is interesting since their OLM appears to run to 10,000 miles no matter the driving circumstances, at least it seems that way with our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer. I'm doing 3 UOA's the first one I posted in Sept for the summer highway run of 7,000 miles, 30% oil life left, w/Mobil 1 5W-30. I'm sending out the late summer/early winter sample with 4,275 miles with Motorcraft 5W-30, 58% oil life left, and will do the last UOA with the winter run from 12/5 to sometime in late April or May depending on the OLM or 5,000-6,000 miles using Mobil 1 5W-30. That one should be the most interesting one having gone through the worst of winter with remote starting and many very cold temps. We shall see
grin.gif

Whimsey

Two things seen from Eco-boost engine UOA's. Fuel dilution and shearing both seem to push the 5w-30 viscosity down to a 5w-20 weight (I can't imagine running 5w-20 in these, but the 1.0 and 1.6 Eco-boost engines specify it). But the wear numbers look fine in most of the UOA's I've seen for just about every oil brand (semi-synthetic and full synthetic) up to 10k miles between changes. I'm sure the QS will do fine in them.

I ran QSUD 5w30 in my 2010 F150 (4.6 3v engine). I never had any problems at all, however I noticed after about 50K miles, the dipstick turning like a varnish yellow/brown color. At 105,000 miles I had a lifter fail & had to be replaced. When I removed the valve covers, all the metal components were stained that yellow/brown varnish color which I found to be strange. I convinced my buddy to pull the valve cover of his Honda Civic which he used the 5w20 QSUD & had 140,000 miles on his engine. His was stained the same yellowish brown varnish color. You could scrape half of it off with your fingernail, some wouldn't come off. I haven't used it since. If there was that much discoloration & deposit in the top of the head, I can imagine what the valve & piston deposits looked like.

No issues. I ran it in mine after draining the factory fill. Pretty much any quality blend or full synthetic will do. Whatever brand you like.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back