Frame Rust Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2003 Dodge Durango has some frame rust...was an out of CA car before I bought it. Does anyone recommend a product and procedure for removing? Do I sand the surface and apply some paint. I appreciate any advice.

You can use a mild acid based solution like Naval Jelly to remove rust then a paint of your choice, but I would recommend an engine enamel paint. It withstands heat, oil, grease and in my case looks the same 4 years later as the day I spayed it on.

I like linseed oil for rust.The slow drying time lets it penetrate and get under the rust.I also keep a jug of used battery acid ,to brush on first, if rust is real bad.

If you have ANY bubbling paint anywhere, you have to "break the bubble" and use a power washer to get all the corrosive salts out.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
That looks new! Did you have to re-balance the driveshaft?

No, not at all. Jeep was only a few months old when I did that. The surface rust wasn't thik. And even if it was, I figure if you are removing about the same volume of material all around it should stay balanced.

As someone I believe had mentioned, I like using lithium grease on subframe of my other household vehicle which is a sedan. It's not practical to try to remove rust on some hard to reach surfaces. But spreading a thin layer of lithium grease does wonders. The key is to do it when rust is dry, so that no moisture gets locked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back