Honda oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandmaws '08 Accord K24 engine, recently hit 128k miles. Now that shes retired, she rarely puts more than 6-7k miles a year on the car. Short tripped mostly, whenever I take her to the doctor I drive, I usually rev it up good and hit 3-4k on acceleration to get things hot and burn off any moisture. I'm thinking changing the oil once a year versus every 4 months, would work just fine. I'll use M1 EP 5W30 or Valvoline Syn Maxlife 5W30. It burns 20 grade oils rather quickly, doesnt burn much using Supertech Dexos 5W30. I changed the PCV with an OEM Honda one 2 years ago. My question is, which filter should I use? Im trying to decide between a Fram Tough Guard, Fram Ultra, or either an OEM Honda A01 (the Filtech one supposedly better) or the Honda A02 (Fram made). I have an A02 on it right now with no issues. Which would be the best choice? I can order the A01's from H and A Honda but with shipping its not worth it. The A02's are cheap by the case on Ebay.

Also just out of curiosity, I service a Nissan Frontier 4.0 using the Nissan oem filter. The Honda 2.4 and the frontier both cross to a Fram PH7317, Napa Gold 7356 etc. Can the oem filters be used interchangeably, as in, a Honda A01 on the frontier and a Nissan oem filter on the Honda, or would it cause issues with bypass psi and things like that? I've always been curious about it.

The new Fram PH7317 with the silicone ADBV is very close if not the same thing as the OEM A02, If you want something more than that, get a Fram Ultra XG7317
smile.gif

On the Honda, I'd get a Fram Ultra and run it for 2 yrs / 2 OCI's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Also just out of curiosity, I service a Nissan Frontier 4.0 using the Nissan oem filter. The Honda 2.4 and the frontier both cross to a Fram PH7317, Napa Gold 7356 etc. Can the oem filters be used interchangeably, as in, a Honda A01 on the frontier and a Nissan oem filter on the Honda, or would it cause issues with bypass psi and things like that? I've always been curious about it.

If they both use the same specified after market filters then you could also interchange their OEM filters.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

+1

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

If they both use the same specified after market filters then you could also interchange their OEM filters.

To pile on with z here..

yup as long as you match bypass pressure (it should match)

I do it all the time....

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

I do it all the time....

Bypass settings might not be exactly the same for different filter brands specified for the same vehicle. Been discussed many times that if you look at 10 different filters brands specified for the same vehicle, the bypass setting will be a little different on some of them. The filter's bypass setting is also dependent on the filter's design, not just for the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

I do it all the time....

Bypass settings might not be exactly the same for different filter brands specified for the same vehicle. Been discussed many times that if you look at 10 different filters brands specified for the same vehicle, the bypass setting will be a little different on some of them. The filter's bypass setting is also dependent on the filter's design, not just for the vehicle.

Agreed - I allow a few pounds delta up or down either way before I really care.

Ill still try to make them match and will search if off more than a pound or two.

Subarus are one example where I've seen large differences in OEM and aftermarket units.

UD

Last edited:
A pound or two isn't going to hurt anything. Like said, the filter's design is part of the equation. If it's off by 6, 8 or 10 PSI then I'd question it.

I have a '07 Accord V6. I have never been able to buy an A01 filter. The local dealers as well as the Acura dealers only sell the A02.

With all the concern a few years ago about Fram oil filters I bought a bunch of HAMP (Honda After Market Parts) oil filters made by Filtech, and then more recently a bunch of WIX 57356 filters. I routinely run them for 2 changes, or about 16,000 Km (10,000 miles).

2 year OCI on a car that sees short trips? I would think this is bad advice and asking for problems???

I always use oem. If changing 1x per year change it in the Fall. You need to top it up during the year.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

2 year OCI on a car that sees short trips? I would think this is bad advice and asking for problems???

It says one year OCIs and 2 year FCIs. I've ran 1 year OCIs on a lot of cars and motorcycles that only see 3K to 4K a year. They are typically not short tripped though. An Ultra is easily capable of being on an engine for 2 years and 6K to 8K total miles.

I change my Mom's oil every 6 months with OEM filter. I drive her car about 2K/year doing just what you do with your Grandmaw. I'd look around for some A01's but wouldn't sweat it. There are millions of Honda's doing just fine on the A02's.

just get the ultra filter and 10w-30 PP at walmart and be done.... im running an ultra and PP on my k20 now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back