Was it my battery? (Car wouldn't start, key stuck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After work tonight, as I was walking to the Buick, I hit the unlock button. The doors unlocked and the headlights lit up, as usual. I got in and turned the key, and nothing. Here's the strange part: the key was stuck in the ignition. I could turn it between what I think was ACC and START but no dice on actually starting it. Stone dead. At this point, I thought the ignition switch was bad. But on a whim, I tried to turn on the dome light. Nothing, zero, nada. I try and unlock the doors again. Nothing. So I fold down the backseat and get the NOCO jumpstarter I got for Christmas. Using that, she fires right up (and before I start it the dome light/radio come on). I disconnect it and drive the 4 minutes home. No issues. Immediately upon parking it, the battery voltage on the DIC read 12.5. It was 20 degrees or so, but we've been in a prolonged cold snap (single digits and below.) However, the car was in a heated garage each night. And I put it on a battery maintainer about once a month or so. The car is short-tripped, though. Just last month, it tested at ~500/660 CCA, a recommeded "fail" by one CCA (it's a 33 month-old JCI ACDelco with a 30 month warranty).

Any ideas?
Just a dead battery?

Just the battery. Shift interlock solenoid needs power to let the key return to lock.

Thanks. I thought it was strange, but I guess it makes sense. I appreciate it, now I'll go battery shopping!

I had this problem with a Chevrolet Cobalt once. The owner inserted the key and found the car battery to be dead. When he tried to remove the key the lock cylinder would not return to the correct position.

On the Cobalt there is an emergency release that you access on the underside of the steering column. You remove a small square cover and push upward on a button and this allows the lock cylinder to be rotated to the off position.

I suspect your Buick also has this feature.

Very likely a bad connection at the battery, not necessarily a dead battery. Poking around and putting jumper cables on "fixes" it for a while.

I'll second those who think the battery connections need cleaning.
Everything working until you put a real load on it is a classic symptom of a bad connection, although this can also indicated a bad battery.
Remove the clamps, clean everything up nice and shiny, reconnect the clamps with proper tightness and I'd bet this little problem goes away.
If not, you need a battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back