Google switching from Ubuntu to Debian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If you are thinking that you can get your hands on either of Goobuntu or gLinux, you’ll have to get a job at Google. It is an internal project of Google and is not accessible to the general public.

*and I'm sure you will get fired for stealing company proprietary software*

.... and that is why I don't take these jerk authors at face value.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Quote:
For years Google used Goobuntu, an in-house, Ubuntu-based operating system. Goobuntu is now being replaced by gLinux, which is based on Debian Testing.

https://itsfoss.com/goobuntu-glinux-google/

That's a big loss in revenue for Canonical!

What does that mean long term for Ubuntu and Mint?

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Quote:
If you are thinking that you can get your hands on either of Goobuntu or gLinux, you’ll have to get a job at Google. It is an internal project of Google and is not accessible to the general public.

What would be the value of stealing a proprietary version of a free OS? I can only imagine that gLinux is just tailored for their corporate environment.. like extra security, domain settings already configured, etc.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Quote:

What would be the value of stealing a proprietary version of a free OS? I can only imagine that gLinux is just tailored for their corporate environment.. like extra security, domain settings already configured, etc.

Yes, Google adds a lot of stuff that is proprietary to/ only relevant for their internal operations. Under the GPL license they certainly do not have to make either their source code or their compiled OS available unless they choose to distribute it. It was reported, though, that they do contribute upstream.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Quote:
For years Google used Goobuntu, an in-house, Ubuntu-based operating system. Goobuntu is now being replaced by gLinux, which is based on Debian Testing.

https://itsfoss.com/goobuntu-glinux-google/

That's a big loss in revenue for Canonical!

I cannot see there being any effect on either. Google performed their own modifications to the stock distro so it is not like Canoncial was catering Ubuntu in any way to any of their support clients. And as long as the Ubuntu software repositories exist, then Mint - which is run by one guy for the most part, assisted by a small handful of volunteers throughout the globe - will remain unaffected.

I read that they wanted to switch to Debian (Testing) because they valued Testing's rolling release model; which releases new software into the repositories after a testing period continually (and therefore sans version numbers or release dates).

I will use MS Windows any other over any Linux kernels. I've tried both intensively and I find it quicker to just boot Windows as I no longer have much use of Linux.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
I will use MS Windows any other over any Linux kernels. I've tried both intensively and I find it quicker to just boot Windows as I no longer have much use of Linux.

I see you haven't tried Windows 10 yet.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte

It's quicker to boot into Windows when Windows doesn't really shut down any longer, and just fools you into thinking it does.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN

Nothing, Ubuntu is owned by a billionaire and is based on Debian (Testing for LTS, Unstable for not LTS releases) so contributions to Debian in turn benefit Ubuntu. Since Mint is based on Ubuntu LTS (except their Debian Edition which is directly tied to Debian) so anything that benefits Debian and in turn Ubuntu will also benefit Mint.

Frankly I'm surprised they don't use a Gentoo based system since Chrome OS is most closely related to Gentoo than any other Linux distro.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Frankly I'm surprised they don't use a Gentoo based system since Chrome OS is most closely related to Gentoo than any other Linux distro.

Maybe that is exactly their plan, but it's still compiling. :^)

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Maybe that is exactly their plan, but it's still compiling. :^)

Classic...

I don't mind Windows 10. Seems very stable on all of my machines that run it. I quit using Ubuntu because I hated the new GUI. I hear it is different now, but I absolutely hated the one they went to about 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tmorris1
I don't mind Windows 10. Seems very stable on all of my machines that run it. I quit using Ubuntu because I hated the new GUI. I hear it is different now, but I absolutely hated the one they went to about 5 years ago.

You won't like the one they switched to (Gnome 3), as they have performed some modifications to it to make it look at work very much like their now-abandoned Unity.

The really nice think about Linux OS's, though, is that you can use one of a large handful of desktop environments that all work and feel differently. And each of those desktop environments are highly customizable. In Ubuntu you can use Unity, Gnome, KDE, MATE, XFCE, LXDE and more; each of which has their strengths and compromises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back