New Remington 870P Police Marine Magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered a new Remington 870P Police Marine Magnum through Davidson's. They got 7 of them in this morning, and there are only 2 left as I type this. Remington only makes a couple of production runs of this gun every year. They are not regularly produced like the standard Marine Magnum. I've had an E-Mail notification with Davidson's for months on this shotgun. Today they finally got a small shipment of them. I jumped on it.

The Police Marine Magnum has all of the upgraded parts all the Police Models get. No MIM parts, polished barrel, chamber and receiver, and an all metal trigger group. The standard grade Marine Magnum is built on the Express receiver, and has an MIM extractor, and not milled, and has a Polymer trigger group. It also has a bead front sight, as opposed to the Police Marine Magnum which has fully adjustable rifle sights. It also comes with a padded Uncle Mikes sling. The Police Marine Magnum also has larger, stiffer trigger and magazine springs. The magazine spring in the Police Marine Magnum is also electroless Nickel plated to prevent rust.

It is built in the same area, and by the same people all the Police Models are built at the Ilion, New York plant. And is completely hand inspected and test fired before being boxed and shipped. The standard Marine Magnum is built on the Express assembly line. I'm excited to get this weapon, because as I mentioned they are very difficult to find. You can find a few on Gun Broker, and Guns America. But you have to be careful because while some are advertised as Police Marine Magnums, they are not. The order number must say 25047 on the end flap of the box. The standard grade Marine Magnum is order number 25012. The gun will ship tomorrow, and I should pick it up Friday, or possibly late tomorrow. I'll try to post some picks when I get it.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Many thanks for that. Is it stainless steel?

Finish: Electoless Nickel not stainless.

You beat me to the punch 460.

Last edited:
It's kinda funny that they go to all that effort for a Police Marine Model that probably will no where near see the amount of ammo and get the beating a run of the mill Remington 870 Express will get put through.
Question is will you stomp that 870 in the mud and then pick it up and shoot it to prove that Mossberg 500 guy, you got the better gun.
I once dared a friend with a 870 that. I am a Winchester shotgun lover. I wanted to do torture tests with my Winchester Ranger 120 against his Remington 870 Express.
He declined, shut him down quick.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Question is will you stomp that 870 in the mud and then pick it up and shoot it to prove that Mossberg 500 guy, you got the better gun. I once dared a friend with a 870 that. I am a Winchester shotgun lover. I wanted to do torture tests with my Winchester Ranger 120 against his Remington 870 Express.

I'd take your dare and let you go first. After you picked your shotgun up out of the mud I'd laugh and walk away. There was a guy on a Ruger forum who did that with a pistol and of course made a video of it. He was not applauded.

Im an 870 armorer, and I have rebuilt to police standards about 75 of them. I love the 870 and know them inside and out intimately.

The receivers are all the same. Period. Police. Wingmaster. Express. All the same. The more expensive ones get a little bit more polishing and fit and finish touches, but they are the same receivers, and will build the same reliable gun.

As to a special assembly area for police shotguns, I believe that was true 10 plus years ago. After the freedom buyout, I dont think that is the case anymore.

Polymer vs steel trigger guard. They stopped using steel trigger guards on police shotguns 10 plus years ago. I would be SHOCKED if your gun came with a steel trigger guard. I would almost guarantee that it comes with a polymer trigger guard. Pictures online of that catalog number confirm my suspicions. The polymer is actually better and more durable for police use, so not all is lost. If you WANT to add the metal one for aesthetics, I still think you can buy them. You'll have to swap over your police springs, but the rest of the parts are basically the same.

Its a good gun, and its a good thing that you got exactly what you want.

Polish the chamber when you get it. Remington uses one armed monkeys in their 870 barrel operation, and even though your gun is a police model, the chamber will be garbage. Wrap steel wool around a cleaning brush and chuck it in a drill.

I just checked and they're all gone. 7 guns in less than 4 hours. Unbelievable. Anyway I'm glad I checked my E-Mail when I did. Hopefully it will ship tonight from Prescott and I'll have it sometime tomorrow. If it comes from their North Carolina warehouse it will be a bit longer. Especially with the Winter weather they're having.

As far as the trigger group. I don't think they were ever made from steel. All the Wingmaster and Police trigger groups were Aluminum. I know the Wingmasters still all come with Aluminum trigger groups. And as far as I know the Police 870's do as well. But the standard Marine Magnums are plastic. As I said, you have to watch what you look at online. There is a LOT of misrepresentation with these guns. The main things to look for with the Police Marine Magnum over the standard is the rifle sights, a short ribbed forend, and not checkered with the rear cutout. And the metal trigger group. And also the 25047 Order Number. You can usually see a parting line down the center of the trigger guard if it was molded. That won't be the case on a machined metallic trigger group.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Question is will you stomp that 870 in the mud and then pick it up and shoot it to prove that Mossberg 500 guy, you got the better gun. I once dared a friend with a 870 that. I am a Winchester shotgun lover. I wanted to do torture tests with my Winchester Ranger 120 against his Remington 870 Express.

I'd take your dare and let you go first. After you picked your shotgun up out of the mud I'd laugh and walk away. There was a guy on a Ruger forum who did that with a pistol and of course made a video of it. He was not applauded.

You wouldn't walk away. Not up in the mountains of Pennsylvania in the middle of the woods. Just saying Honor among hunters and that would be something you just would not do with a bunch of Country boys.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
These are sharp.

I've always like them as well as the Mossberg 500 equiv.

If this gun is the performance equivalent of my Mossberg 590 A-1 Mil-Spec, I'll be a happy camper. I have to admit I like the fact this gun is Electroless Nickel Plated, and has a steel receiver. I've always liked the 870 in any configuration for that reason. They never went to an Aluminum receiver, like so many other manufacturers have done through the years. Most notably Browning with the "new" Auto V, and the BLR line of rifles.

Question is will you stomp that 870 in the mud and then pick it up and shoot it to prove that Mossberg 500 guy, you got the better gun.

Consumer "Torture Tests" with weapons prove about as much as arm wrestling at bars. And neither one gives me wood. I can understand it for the manufacturers. Especially when they are competing for lucrative military contracts. But 2 hairy chested, overweight, tattooed boneheads, destroying their weapons in the mud to see which one of them has the lower I.Q. isn't my thing. However, it's fun to watch on You Tube when there's nothing on but reruns.

You wouldn't walk away. Not up in the mountains of Pennsylvania in the middle of the woods. Just saying Honor among hunters and that would be something you just would not do with a bunch of Country boys.

You're nutz. I was born, grew up and hunted in the woods in northwestern Pa and nobody I knew would ever throw a gun in the mud for any reason ever. I am a Pa country boy, you'll have to try your crazy talk on someone else. Did you move there from West Virginia?

Them's my cuzins Bill, where'd you find their photo?? And before anyone from WV gets cross threaded understand you always have a neighboring state you joke about and WV was ours. Here in Az it's California obviously.

And before anyone from WV gets cross threaded understand you always have a neighboring state you joke about and WV was ours. Here in Az it's California obviously.

In Illinois it was Wisconsin.... AKA Cheese heads.

Back on topic, do you still have the Mossberg 590? Interested to hear what you think of them head to head.

Yes. I have both the 590 A-1 Mil-Spec, and a 500. Also a couple of Rock Island Armory M-5's, which are incredible shotguns for the money. They're built on the old High Standard Flight King design. Everything is all steel. The 590 A-1 is a very good shotgun. Nice slick, smooth action, good trigger, and I've always liked the top tang safety. I think it's easier to operate than the crossbolt safety on the 870. And no shell carrier blocking the reloading process.

If this new 870 Police Marine Magnum is a nice as my 590 A-1, I'll be a happy camper. Here are all 4 guns. (The bottom part of the buttstock on the Parkerized M-5 was the only place they managed NOT to get any rust inhibitor).

I just got back from the dealer with my new 870 Police Marine Magnum. I have to say first impressions are very favorable. This is a beautiful shotgun. First off, the trigger group IS ALUMINUM, and not Polymer. That may be good news for some, but not for others. It depends on your opinion of both. Others may not care either way. But for the record it appears that the Remington 870 Police Marine Magnum ships with an Aluminum trigger group. I can't speak for the other 870 Police Models. Also worth noting is that the newer Remington Polymer trigger groups appear to have "Remington" molded into them on the bottom of the trigger guard. That should help in identifying them from photographs.

The gun comes packaged with a Butler Creek Ultra Sling with sewn in swivels. (I mistakenly said it was a Uncle Mike's sling in my first post). The action is nice and tight. This gun needs a good lubing, and a case of high brass shells run through it. Somehow I think I'll be able to manage that. I really like the stock rifle sights. They are easy and quick to pick up when shouldering the weapon.

The Electroless Nickel finish is very attractive and slick. It has the appearance of a bead blasted finish, and is very uniform both inside and out. All in all I'm very satisfied. If this thing shoots as good as it looks, I'll be very happy. I'll try to get some pictures up later today or tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back