Putting portable grill on a wooden cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nice portable grill that i have only used like two times. I was thinking about building a cabinet for it to sit on, that way it will be like 4ft high. My concern.is would the wood be a fire hazard?

I wouldn't; a guy from the last place I worked had his bbq on his deck; "something happened" while he was a few hundred feet down the street and his entire deck was on fire... His entire house was lost as the town is large and volunteer only.

Cover it with sheet metal or something obviously fireproof if you must.

Respectfully, common sense needs to be used.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
"something happened" while he was a few hundred feet down the street

WHAT? Who does that?

I set up camp when I am grilling, LOL!

This reminds me that my mom did this when i was like 10 years old. She went to go talk to the neighbor and I saw flames inside the grill and more smoke than usual. Lol I had to run over and get her.

IDK if you are in an apartment or a house, but one of the most common sources of apartment fires is a gas grille on the wooden deck.

Most complexes prohibit it for the reasons given, and do not allow grilling within 25' of the building. I do apartment / condo risk control surveys for insurance carriers and that is one of the questions they pointedly ask. They have the losses to prove how serious it is.

Things do happen...something falls over or flairs up resulting in a disaster.

Use a metal cabinet (an old rolling tool box comes to mind), and know that over time, it will probably get greasy as all get out. Grease on top of wood is just more to burn.

Looking at various charts, wood ignites anywhere from 190-260 degrees Celsius or about 375-500 Fahrenheit. As grilling could be anywhere from 350-600 or more, it's probably not a good idea.

Use wood and just use sheet metal or bricks as the top level. What about 1 patio stone on top of the wood? That should do it.

Flames and sparks aside, the heat goes up, not down.

I've used outdoor gas fire pits that were extremely hot above, but could be touched on the portion below the flame.

So if one were to make a box on which to place a grill, that box should at least be resistant to ignition if a flaming piece of grease falls on it.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
.... What about 1 patio stone on top of the wood? That should do it.

^^^
use the 2' squares as a top.
M.O.M., This assumes you grill at the end of your patio and not close to your townhome external walls or any gas pipe or any shrubbery.

You do have a fire extinctor in the house, do you?

P.S. are you trying to loose weight and eat healthier?

Keep an eye on it, but you should be fine. The heat travels up, and if it's the kind of grill I'm thinking, there's a good several inches of open space between the bottom of the grill and the top of the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back