Tungsten FM in Molygen (LM) Oil... Unique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green is the new Purple! Sorry, Royal Purple-dye fans. Green is in.
grin2.gif
Practical for finding leaks, as its a UV dye.

Are the tungsten-based compounds really reducing friction that much? This is an unusual ingredient. Typically moly is used for FM. Maybe esters.

Noticing its not dexos1 qualified. And not available in 0w20, only in GF-5 5w30 and euro-spec 5w40 thick stuff.

They claim "up to" 15% less friction and 30% less wear, compared to an unknown reference, typical marketing logic. Leaves us hanging.

91iFM3yv3jL._SL1500_.jpg

thumbnail_detail_1512568459070_ctx-1.jpg

Trav, they used Tungsten a while back! (Now Castrol brags about a smidge of Titanium, so I guess better.(?))

There must be a reason why Tungsten (atomic symbol is W) never caught on.
If it's really better, and there is a big 15% friction reduction as LM marketing says, then wondering why SOPUS-XOM-BP-Oronite-Lubrizol-Infineum-Afton hasn't jumped on board. Marketing suggestion: "W" for the "Win"

LiquiMoly appears to be the Amsoil of Germany: They probably make good products, yet don't always bother to actually have the real performance specs passed officially. See where they say "Recommended for..." all over the place, just like Amsoil.

Also notice the "Start-Stop" symbol on the front of the jug. Really wondering if the W FM would help in start-stop as claimed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
No idea. I get the feeling they all try to produce a "new and improved" formulation so they have something to market.

Yes and increase the price.

"The presence of slightly radioactive dye gives the oil a distinctive glow under ultraviolet light." -- https://blog.ecstuning.com/2018/01/03/liqui-moly-the-ultimate-friction-control/
29.gif
crackmeup2.gif

ECS Tuning shouldn't be allowed to write about motor oils. This proves it.
And then they recommend the SN GF-5 5w30 (low HTHS by German standards) for about every BMW engine ever made. I don't think many of the slightly older BMW engines (more than about 8 years back) really should be using LL-01FE-style low-HTHS oils. This oil might be fine for newer BMW engines, but is ECS Tuning really noticing this is a GF-5 oil???

Last edited:
Who knows?
This might be the next gotta have add.
Would be nice to hear from SOJ on this metallic add, what it does as well as its downsides, of which there have to be some.
Bonus points to anyone who knows the reason that tungsten appears as "W" on a periodic table.

Yes, I remember Castrol with 'Liquid Tungsten' from way back. Oh how easily we were impressed back in the '60s!

It could simply be a bit of inorganic Tungsten Disulphide (WS2) dispersed in the oil and notionally reducing friction in much the same way as Molybdenum Disulphide does.

Alternatively it could be an oil soluble Tungsten. A quick look on Google shows that Infineum have pratted around with Tungsten analogues of their tri-nuclear Moly chemistry. I never heard of this going anywhere though. These things are horribly expensive to make and seldom justify themselves in any formulation.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Who knows?
Would be nice to hear from SOJ on this metallic add, what it does as well as its downsides, of which there have to be some.
Bonus points to anyone who knows the reason that tungsten appears as "W" on a periodic table.

Isn't it something like Wolfrum in Latin or Swedish?

SonofJoe, so you're saying W-based FM's might be more expensive than others like moly and/or Ti ones? That may explain right there why W isn't used that much these days. And if moly, esters, and/or Ti FM's work as well, then no advantage to W.....

Of course, it would be nice to know where LM gets their "15% less friction" and "30% less wear" claims.
OK, I may need to email them. I'll feel lucky to get any kind of coherent response.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Shouldn't use "Tu" since it looks too much like "Ti". For sure.

Yeah, it lights up when the oil gets to operating temp
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe

German

Who knows?

It either comes from Latin or Greek. I can’t remember exactly

Well, SOJ got it first.
Just wondered whether anyone else remembered this from high school chem class.

Well, here goes. The email to LM:

"About the Molygen LM oil (5w30), its claimed there is 15% reduced friction and 30% less wear.
Is this based on comparison to the same HTHS or KV100 oil?
What reference baseline are the percent claims made from?
What oil is this being compared to?"

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Who knows?

It either comes from Latin or Greek. I can’t remember exactly

Found this..

Quote:
The name "wolframite" is derived from German "wolf rahm", the name given to tungsten by Johan Gottschalk Wallerius in 1747. This, in turn, derives from "Lupi spuma", the name Georg Agricola used for the element in 1546, which translates into English as "wolf's froth" or "cream". The etymology is not entirely certain but seems to be a reference to the large amounts of tin consumed by the mineral during its extraction, the phenomena literally being likened to a wolf eating a sheep.[5] Wolfram is the basis for the chemical symbol W for tungsten as a chemical element.

Molygen is now using the MotorProtect in its oils. After talking to Vinny, I was told not to use this with Ceratec or Mos2. They do have a 0w20 and I was given the LM number somewhere. Seems that Ceratec is the better product and LM just decided to do away with it on this side of the pond.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Molygen is now using the MotorProtect in its oils. After talking to Vinny, I was told not to use this with Ceratec or Mos2. They do have a 0w20 and I was given the LM number somewhere. Seems that Ceratec is the better product and LM just decided to do away with it on this side of the pond.

Just to be clear, there are two "Motor Protect" additive products from LM. One with "Molygen" (tungsten) and one with something else (black bottle, not green).

Also, in the 0w20 visc, LM has exactly 3 varieties and none are the Molygen green stuff:
SPECIAL TEC V 0W-20
SPECIAL TEC AA 0W-20
TOP TEC 6200 0W-20
... according to their website. None of those are Molygen.

On this side of the pond, Amazon, ECS Tuning and Turner Motorsports have the Molygen oils.
The addtive bottle Molygen might not be available in the U.S. though.
As far as additives go, yes Ceratec and LM MOS2 as well, are in the U.S.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Mercury Hg comes from Latin for “quicksilver” I believe

Almost. The Latin hydrargyrum, from Greek hydrargyros, meaning "water silver".

Tungsten sits beneath molybdenum in the periodic table, so may be expected to exhibit some similar properties. I have to say I haven't seen anything using it since the olden days of Castrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back