2000 Buick Century odometer display died

Status
Not open for further replies.
The display on the instrument cluster that shows the gear selector and the odometer died.

From what I heard, this is very common. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to how to repair the cluster. Theres someone local who does it for about $150, but if I can, I want to save some money and do it myself.

From what I have found, it seems that there are 4 resistors that eventually go bad or get corroded, and the fix is soldering on 4 new 150 amp resistors. Sound about right?

I have plenty of tools and a soldering iron, so equipment I don't think is an isssue

If the resistors are the issue, what resistors should I grab?

1/2 watt, 150 ohm resistors are what you need. I used to get them at Radio Shack but they don't exist anymore. Amazon has them now. I don't think brand is important.

Pretty straight forward or no? The most soldering experience I have is mechanical keys on a keyboard, and splicing a few wires together. I have a soldering iron, solder, and a little suction thing to suck up melted solder.

Yes. It's very easy. The existing ones (if there are any attached) are black with very little solder on each end. Usually touching them they will fall off.

The resistor ends are too long. I found that if you bend a little "L" that it will help you hold them in place to apply solder. After they are installed then you can simply cut off the excess. The aftermarket resistors are slightly longer as well but you don't have to have them perfect like the factory ones. As long as each end is solder the resistor can be slightly below or above the original locations on the board.

I fixed mine by soldering in one new resistor. As said, they fall off when you look at them wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back