Verizon customers beware

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of months ago I signed up for insurance on all 4 of the phones on my account. I was on a chat with a VW rep and was told my premium would be $33 a month for all 4 phones, and the most my deductible would be for replacing a phone would be $45. Fast forward to this past week. I get a notice in the mail from Asurion (the company that provides the insurance) that states beginning in March, the deductibles for the iphone 6 plus I have on my account (I have 2 of them) would be going DOWN to $149, and the deductible on the other two phones on my account would be going DOWN to $89. I'm thinking, what do they mean going DOWN? Both of those deductibles are a lot more than what I was told by the rep before I decided to take the coverage. So I get on another chat with VW and explain to them that I was told before I took the insurance that my deductible would not be more than $45 for any device on my account. They said my deductible was never that low, so the person lied to me to get me to take the insurance. They offered me a few things that were really nothing more than trinkets, and I told them I was going to drop the coverage if they didn't give me what I was told I would get. They agreed and said my coverage would now include deductibles no higher than $45. I told them I wanted it in writing, and they are mailing me the document. I also got a case number from them in case I needed to contact them for any further problems with this coverage in the future....moral of the story, make sure you get exactly what they tell you you're supposed to get. Don't assume like I did...

Or just don't bother with insurance at all. It's a scam and has always been a scam.

Only $396 a year, plus a $89 or $145 deductible. What. A Scam.

Who falls for this stuff?

Take that $500 a year, put it into an account, and SELF insure yourself. Are you going to burn through over $500 a year to replace broken phones?

I self insure. Amazingly, I haven't had to buy a new phone (other than normal upgrades), in 15 plus years.

Skip the phone insurance. Just put $10-15 per month into an interest-bearing savings account at your local credit union. After a couple years, you'll have a couple hundred saved up if your phone experiences a catastrophe. If it doesn't then when you're ready for a new phone, you'll have some money saved up towards it.

...in the meantime, you'll have a well-established account with the credit union that will help if you need a low-interest loan for a car, or some other expense. Win-win

So many great Android phones you can buy outright for under $200. If you drop or lose it...not a big loss. Can't imagine spending $1,000 for an iPhone X and paying insurance on it every month.
crazy2.gif

Buy a good case to protect the phone from drops. Isn't there a one year warranty for software related problems?

I have a Samsung J320V through Verizon. I think I paid $170 or so for it. It's a great phone. I even have my work email on it among a ton of other stuff.
Office apps ect. Never even thought of buying insurance on it. I back up to the cloud and all my data is saved. If this phone dropped off the face of the earth I'd just stop in and pick up another.

I'd just be mad if I figured out I was spending $400 a year on "insurance". I've owned a cell phone for years, smart phones for the last 6 years or so, and never needed "insurance" on one of them. If one failed, I'd deal with it and buy another with the money I haven't spent on insurance.

We really need insurance on stuff that is $1000 or less new?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
So many great Android phones you can buy outright for under $200. If you drop or lose it...not a big loss. Can't imagine spending $1,000 for an iPhone X and paying insurance on it every month.
crazy2.gif

Yep. + 10000000000

My work iPhone isn't worth what some idiot zombies will pay for it.
My personal phone is a $100 Android.

I paid under $280 for a new (left over stock) Galaxy S7 Active. Got a new S7 (regular model) for my wife for Christmas to upgrade her six year old S4. We don't always need the latest and greatest gadget.

You do realize that the reverse scam on this insurance is that you can buy it at any time and then make a claim afterwards and then cancel it once you get a replacement.

Just saying...

Originally Posted By: road_rascal
I paid under $280 for a new (left over stock) Galaxy S7 Active. Got a new S7 (regular model) for my wife for Christmas to upgrade her six year old S4. We don't always need the latest and greatest gadget.

Samsung was having some pretty good discounts in November. I picked up a regular Samsung S8 for $370. Best Buy was offering a $350 discount off the $720 list price. Other carriers were also doing deals like buy one get one, but then you'd have two phones and I only needed one.

In my experience the communications companies have hired all the well spoken salespeople.

Now, go over to the cable/dish TV people and you get to hear Mafia trainees.

Not to mention they won't even replace your phone with an equal. My ex broke her white iPhone, they sent her a black one. Said they "can't guarantee the same color". Wait... I guarantee to pay you every month and you can't even figure out the difference between black and white? I was livid.

So livid I was hung up on and politely asked to leave the Verizon store. Ha.

Get a great case and tempered glass front and let the phones fall where they may.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Or just don't bother with insurance at all. It's a scam and has always been a scam.

Same here. I roll the dice and have never been burned.

Insurance on cell phones is ridiculously expensive.

The only time I ever got screwed was actually by apple themselves,
when I mailed in a phone "still under warranty" for replacement, and they charged me $329

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back