Honda Type 2.0 ATF?

Did a search in here and to my surprise, I found nothing. Or just maybe the search tool is a bit behind the times.

I searched the web a bit too.

So sorry in advance if this topic has been discussed, but what info have y’all collected on this “new” ATF recommended for Honda 10-speed transmissions?

And thanks in advance for any useful information.

The bottle says shake well before using, which doesn't often appear on bottles of motor oil and ATF. The bottle looks like a WPP bottle
crazy2.gif

However, you should probably still use the Type 2.0 during the warranty. When does Honda recommend the first ATF change be done? Because by the time you'll actually need to change it, a cheaper aftermarket solution should exist, and/or the aftermarket ATF's will be updated to include Type 2.0

Is that 10-speed a DCT? I saw this page from Acura mentioning a DCT that uses the 2.0

If it's a DCT, you can probably use AMalie's DCT fluid, which is by far the least expensive DCTF and sold by the case of 12.

s-l1600.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking. Use the Honda fluid through warranty. In a year or two, another company will have a compatible fluid. What I’m going to do with the DW-1 stash I have is TBD.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
Exactly what I was thinking. Use the Honda fluid through warranty. In a year or two, another company will have a compatible fluid. What I’m going to do with the DW-1 stash I have is TBD.

Do you have any friends with an older Honda automatic? You can use it on any older Honda automatic that called for DW1, Z1, or Dexron. Supposedly, you can't use it in your Highlander or any other non-Honda automatic because it has too much Zinc

Yeh I thought about that but none of the Honda owner fiends would get their hands dirty changing out transmission fluid, haha.

Sorry in my haste I did not answer your question. This is not a dual clutch design. It has several planetary gear modules. Having same said that, irrespective of the transmission architecture, this transmission operates superbly. Nearly imperceptible shifts while simultaneously shifting very quickly. Honestly, it’s amazing. In comparison the Highlander 8spd transmission while certainly not bad, is not in the same league as the 10spd in the Accord.

I think this stuff is pretty expensive per qt but its still cheaper than a transmission. Now I remember back when BMW had the 8spd tranny. Can't wait to hear about this new 10spd Accord. How exciting

I believe ATF is tied to the MM, so just change it when the computer tells you to. Most modern ATF intervals are fairly long, so you don't need to stock up on it now. Simply wait until the applicable code shows up on your MM
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I believe ATF is tied to the MM, so just change it when the computer tells you to. Most modern ATF intervals are fairly long, so you don't need to stock up on it now. Simply wait until the applicable code shows up on your MM
smile.gif

Good recommendation. It is quite an expensive service on the ZF boxes. The 3.1 fluid is almost $40/L, then you also have to replace the 3 fill/drain/level plugs at $15 each. It is also more complicated than just drain and fill. Here at Acura, it is around a $500 service, takes us about 2 hours.

Last edited:
wasn't there a study that reveal the most transmission's wear occurred before 8000 miles? the Honda 9AT is made ZF, 10AT is a Honda in house. 7 and 8 speed is DCT.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
wasn't there a study that reveal the most transmission's wear occurred before 8000 miles? the Honda 9AT is made ZF, 10AT is a Honda in house. 7 and 8 speed is DCT.

The new 10 speed is in house? Good to know. The ZF 9 speed are a PITA. Looks like we are getting the 10 speed in the new RDX, will see what is what then I guess.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Good recommendation. It is quite an expensive service on the ZF boxes. The 3.1 fluid is almost $40/L, then you also have to replace the 3 fill/drain/level plugs at $15 each. It is also more complicated than just drain and fill. Here at Acura, it is around a $500 service, takes us about 2 hours.

$15 each plug? It can't be reused with a new washer?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Very common on Euro cars- new plugs are required. The plugs have a one time use sealant on them.

They use the same kind of plugs as a BMW. Single use. Do not use a washer.

They look like this.

s-l225.jpg

384090_x800.jpg

They use the same kind of plugs as a BMW. Single use. Do not use a washer.

They look like this.

s-l225.jpg

384090_x800.jpg

And my appologies for my previous posting about the Type 2 fluid. Looks like the new 10 speed does in fact use Type 2 fluid.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/conte...ferer=ownerlink

Quote:

Replace A/T fluid

For 9-speed A/T model: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If the vehicle is regularly driven under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed at 60,000 miles or after the first 3 years, then every 30,000 miles or 2 years.

9-speed A/T model: Use genuine Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid (Type 3).
NOTE: Using the wrong type of fluid will damage the transmission.

10-speed A/T model: Use genuine Honda Automatic Transmission Fluid (Type 2).
NOTE: Using the wrong type of fluid will damage the transmission.

Capacity

9-speed A/T model: 3.3 L (3.5 US qt)

10-speed A/T model
Type A: 4.5 L (4.8 US qt)
Type B: 4.3 L (4.5 US qt)
NOTE: Refer to the ATF Replacement and Level Check procedure to properly identify a Type A or B, 10-speed A/T.

not only the plug has to be change on ZF 9 speed, the price of Honda type 3 ATF is around $40/q. maybe Honda has to pay a license fee to ZF..... I did a search the type 2 ATF is much cheaper, at 1/3 of type 3.0 ATF. since new Accord is equipped with 10AT, I hope the volume will spark interest among blender or supplier to come up with something similar.
I am curious how is the new Honda 10AT perform!!

The 10spd transmission in the 2018 Accord performs superbly. I’ve driven an MDX with the 9spd ZF and it’s simply crude in comparison. This 10spd shifts instantly and very smoothly whether up or down gears. I must say I’ve never experienced anything quite like it although I’ve read the new 10spd in Camaros and Mustangs is also a significant advancement in auto transmission design.

Back