Least favorite firearm, and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your least favorite firearm that you own, and why (piggy-backing a recent Facebook post from Brownells that I found interesting)?

Mine is a Marlin 336W in 30-30. Nothing terrible about it, just seems to be a cheapened and lesser "polished" version of the venerable 30-30 lever action. My main gripe about it is the sharpness of the edges on the lever that tend to cut into my dry hand skin if I'm not careful when cycling it. The action internals are a bit stiff, but I think they'll loosen up as the rifle gets used more. Other than that, it goes bang every time and hasn't ever not cycled properly.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
What is your least favorite firearm that you own, and why (piggy-backing a recent Facebook post from Brownells that I found interesting)?

Mine is a Marlin 336W in 30-30. Nothing terrible about it, just seems to be a cheapened and lesser "polished" version of the venerable 30-30 lever action. My main gripe about it is the sharpness of the edges on the lever that tend to cut into my dry hand skin if I'm not careful when cycling it. The action internals are a bit stiff, but I think they'll loosen up as the rifle gets used more. Other than that, it goes bang every time and hasn't ever not cycled properly.

I'll drive over and pick it up if you don't want it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

I'll drive over and pick it up if you don't want it.
smile.gif

LOL, didn't say I didn't want it, just my least favorite.

OTOH, for $400, it's all yours.
cool.gif

Edit: Just kidding. It's not for sale. I hate selling guns. Any gun.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Grendel P-11. That thing would dang near break your hand when shooting, no fun at all!

We have a Winchester 37A in the house my wife inherited from her dad. It will probably never be fired, because my dad had a 37 when I was growing up, and those suckers are not pleasant to fire. Very light. Very common in the Appalachians where I grew up. Both 12 gauge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
We have a Winchester 37A ... and those suckers are not pleasant to fire. Very light.

Same here, grew up with a Harrington & Richardson (now New England Firearms)

Very light, kicked like mule (for real!)

I have a glenfield. Same gun as a 336 except sold by Sears and has different wood. I really like mine. Was made in 1982. I dislike my Kahr cw9 because of it's feeding problems. I can't trust it in an emergency

Last edited:
Worst gun I ever owned was an Erma Luger 22. Jammed about 3 times a magazine. It really shattered the common illusion of "Made in Germany" being a mark of quality.

Worst gun I currently own is a commercial Norinco Tokarev. It has a somewhat regular problem of failure to extract issues. I should just sell it and get a Yugo/Serb version that will actually work.

I have a Stainless Steel Bauer .25 Automatic. It's a very well made copy of the Baby Browning .25 auto. The trigger pull is around 30 pounds on a good day. It would take a box of ammo to stop a Toy Poodle. I have one of those too.

I got a baby browning. Agreed with the poodle analogy....better be within 8 feet to hit a 6 inch target.

Years ago Mossberg made a bullpup design pump action shotgun. This atrocity had an M16 / AR15 style carrying handle that functioned as a mount for crude iron sights. If you were not careful, the carry handle would cut your eyebrow in recoil. My six foot six, 400 pound boss had one. He fired it from the hip and did not seem to be bothered by recoil :)

Originally Posted By: maintenanceMan
Ditto on on the Marlin, I used to like it until I started trying to accurize it. Horrible ballistics
how far are you trying to shoot a 3030? Mine is great as long as you know it's limits. I want to try the leverlution (sp?) ammo next.

My dad gave me a HI-POINT 9mm that he bought at a pawn shop. He goes to the big city to look for magazines and misc. gun parts at pawn shops. He paid $100 for it. It's ugly, has alot of FTF and FTE. I don't even shoot it anymore. It makes a great paper weight.

I "HAD" a Winchester XTR 94 30-30. It was my first deer rifle.
My parents bought it for me for Christmas. It was the Winchester that had the safety lever that the lever had to be up tight or it wouldn't shoot.
After missing a really nice buck because I couldn't get it to fire with gloves on I threw a tantrum, and the gun in the snow. It was a beautiful gun but a piece of junk safety.
I sold it to go to the prom.
I since recanted and bought my wife a Winchester 94 Ranger and it's Great. Winchester didn't make that safety lever that long. It was a terriable idea.
P.S. I hated that gun and sold it in 1986 for $150 to go to the Prom. They are going for $850-$1000 on GunBroker for the same XTR 94 Winchester. I still hate that gun and it still makes me mad.

Last edited:
My dads 12 gauge Browning semi-automatic has a blunt back to it at the back of the action, instead of a smooth taper that a Remington has. My dad once shot at a duck that was directly over head and the but of the gun slipped off of his shoulder and the blunt back hit his teeth and broke off a front tooth. A Remington with its smooth taper would not have done that.

So my least favorite gun is the Browning 12 gauge semi-automatic.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
My dad gave me a HI-POINT 9mm that he bought at a pawn shop. He goes to the big city to look for magazines and misc. gun parts at pawn shops. He paid $100 for it. It's ugly, has alot of FTF and FTE. I don't even shoot it anymore. It makes a great paper weight.

I'll give you $75 bucks for it

Remington 700 ADL in 30-06 super accurate but brutal recoil keeps me from shooting it no more than needed occasionally to verify sighting. Oh and not for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back