Driven 5w40 and 15w40 HDEOs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize it has Joe Gibbs name in their marketing hype but none of the labels have any API grades on them.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
I realize it has Joe Gibbs name in their marketing hype but none of the labels have any API grades on them.
+1. Delo, Rotella or Delvac are as good as it gets.

Joe Gibbs is in the same market as VR-1 and Brad Penn/Penn Grade. These are boutique oils ... they mostly sell to racers and the HDEO's are for pulling trucks and the like
laugh.gif

I got a reply from Mr. Lake Speed Jr. regarding the specs of these two oils:

Driven DP40:

And, I quote:
Quote:
The DR40, which is the 15W-40, is very similar except for that the KV 100 increases to 15.1 (and the rest of the viscosity results are shifted similarly). The Ash content does drop to .9 due to the Calcium lowering to .2624 and the absence of Magnesium.

I asked him about NOACK % < 11% for both types.

Not really that impressive IMO. I think I will try the RLI Biosyn HD CJ-4 Oil next time around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CleverUserName

Not really that impressive IMO. I think I will try the RLI Biosyn HD CJ-4 Oil next time around.

Less than 11% is likely a lot less than 11%, and they won't tell you.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the Driven product, aside from price. Of course, given the SA of the 5w-40, it's really not a CJ-4 oil. For most of its purchasers, though, I gather that doesn't matter.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Less than 11% is likely a lot less than 11%, and they won't tell you.

Why wouldn't he tell me the NOACK ? Why would it be a secret ? I explained the value was important as this is a modern diesel with DPF and SCR.

For an advertised mPAO formula I would think the NOACK would be low. The other premium boutique HDEOs I looked at are in the 6-9% range.

Why wouldn't he tell me the NOACK ? Why would it be a secret ? I explained the value was important as this is a modern diesel with DPF and SCR.

You are considering 1.2% sulfated ash then ?

C3 is less than 13% NOACK.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

You are considering 1.2% sulfated ash then ?

C3 is less than 13% NOACK.

SA isn't that important to me. I'm not using factory approved oil anyway. If the NOACK is low, it's not much of a factor in a tight engine that doesn't use any oil. I want to install a Racor CCV oil trap so I can use any oil I choose, but I need to put more miles on it to see if any warranty issues arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back