0W30, 0W40, In My 2004 Lariat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2004 Ford Lariat has a 5.4 3 valve engine. It has about 51,000 miles on the truck. The past owner died in 2009. The truck sat in the widows garage until she traded it in last year at the Ford dealership I work at. After it went through the used car check and repair process I told my boss I wanted to buy it. The tech that did the oil change said the oil was very nasty. He said it looked like the oil and filter was there from 2009. Anyway, the shop foreman said the VCT solenoids need to be changed but said he wouldn't mess with it. Just drive it. I was wanting to know if a 0w30, or a 0W40 oil will be ok to use in it to make the noise quiet after it warms up? I'm using 5W20 bulk and a MC oil filter.

Short oil changes with conventional can clear the screens on the solenoids. Does not work every time, though. This will not fix a stretched timing chain.

Why wouldn’t the shop foreman mess with the VCT solenoids? There’s an update to the part (they changed the screen and oil outlet port size to better direct oil flow) and on your 04 you don’t even have to remove the valve covers. I did mine on my 07 removing valve covers and all and would do it again no question.
When I bought my truck the engine was very neglected, oil was a orange rust color. Several 3k oil changes over the course of 30,000 miles finally cleaned it up enough that I could feel comfortable exending the oci. Fwiw Pennzoil platinum 5w30 has been the only oil to quiet my engine down but that’s purely anecdotal.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Short oil changes with conventional can clear the screens on the solenoids. Does not work every time, though. This will not fix a stretched timing chain.

My dad, member Blueovalfitter, said the same thing. When I brought it home he had me go to walmart and buy 2 motorcraft oil filters, 2 5 quart containers of Pennzoil 5w20 oil, and 2 bottles of Marvel mystery oil. We are doing 2 5000 mile oil changes. In fact the 2nd one I'm on now is about 200 miles from 5000 miles. It has quieted down a good bit and don't run as ruff. My dad said he will listen to it and tell me if I can use a good synthetic oil. He is cutting the oil filter open to see if there is anything in there. He said something about Pennzoil platinum or Mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Nice to see another fellow Cajun on here.

As far as oil goes, I'd run a good synthetic 5W30 with a Fram Ultra or ToughGuard every 5k.

My dad (Blueovalfitter) is a member here too. He lives in Avoyelles Parish. But he's on "VACATION" right now.
I will tell him about the 5W30 oil. He's in there watching the Barrett-Jackson auction.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
My dad (Blueovalfitter) is a member here too. He lives in Avoyelles Parish. But he's on "VACATION" right now.
I will tell him about the 5W30 oil. He's in there watching the Barrett-Jackson auction.

Interesting, so you're not him in disguise?

I’m guessing you won’t leave the filter on for a 2nd interval?
grin2.gif

Meh, who am I kidding, a Purolator couldn’t handle it
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Interesting, so you're not him in disguise?

I'm his son, Robert. I am a detailer/service lane crew member at a local Ford dealer. He has used my account to send PM's and reads the replies every now and then. And, you are the 1st member I get to put on ignore. BYE!

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
I've sent your dad filters before in the mail. Next time in the area I'll have to meet up with yall. I'm from Lafourche Parish

My dad just read your reply and wants me to tell you to pm him after Febuary 10. He said he will be back from vacation then.
We are going to WM to get some M1 0w40 and a fram ultra oil filter for my truck. I decided to use that combo. My dad said it should finish the cleaning stage and the 40 weight oil will quiet my engine after it heats up.

When I brought it home he had me go to walmart and buy 2 motorcraft oil filters, 2 5 quart containers of Pennzoil 5w20 oil, and 2 bottles of Marvel mystery oil.
I've what I think is the same engine in a 2008, old heads; mine has a 7 qt crankcase. Are you just putting 5.5 qts (MMO is a pint, correct?) in it?

Originally Posted By: George Bynum
(MMO is a pint, correct?) in it?

Should be a quart or 32 ounces. Per directions up to 20% of the fill can be MMO.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: George Bynum
(MMO is a pint, correct?) in it?

Should be a quart or 32 ounces. Per directions up to 20% of the fill can be MMO.

I did what SatinSilver said, twice.

I'm his son, Robert. I am a detailer/service lane crew member at a local Ford dealer. He has used my account to send PM's and reads the replies every now and then. And, you are the 1st member I get to put on ignore. BYE!

I think it would be a travesty to put kschachn on ignore. Such a fine outstanding member.
frown.gif

I get the boot for asking what was a very reasonable question? Well OK sure. So your dad is proxy posting and PMing people through your account despite his vacation? Interesting.

Personally I don't get how you putting me on ignore is somehow a slap or a slight to me, but if it makes you feel better then by all means go for it. But if your threshold is this low you then are going to have a large ignore list pretty soon. In one of your other threads on oil filters you had a lot of people criticize the video you posted, are you going to put them on ignore too?

Originally Posted By: das_peikko

I think it would be a travesty to put kschachn on ignore. Such a fine outstanding member.
frown.gif

He/she must have answered my post. I see a ignore statement there. I did the oil change with the Mobil1 and fram ultra oil filter. It kind of made the engine a little bit more quieter. mY dad said it sounds better.

It has been a couple of days that we did a oil change on my truck with the 0w40 oil. The engine is much more quiet and the tach needle don't bounce around like it use to. My friend, the shop forman mechanic could not believe how much it has settled down. He thinks I should change the oil around 3000 miles and use Penzoil in the yellow bottle. What do you guys think? There is still a tick sound but it is not loud like it was before. My dad thinks I should use more synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back