Meteorite Over Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listening to my police scanner approximately 8:25 PM eastern time when I heard numerous reports of a bright flash in the sky accompanied by "sounds".

Pretty cool.

Lots of videos on twitter: https://twitter.com/hashtag/michigan?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I been working nights out doors in Florida. I have seen more shooting stars in the last two weeks than my whole life combined.
I even saw a huge one like you showed in the picture on my way to work one night.
I actually thought it was a flaming plane going down till it just burned out and disappeared. Crazy huge tail like that.

I love seeing them!! Some are so close that you can almost feel the heat and hear the crackle. Almost as if someone standing next to you lit a roman candle.

Originally Posted By: 555
Could a larger one trigger a warning system like the false alarms in Hawaii and Japan?

If they hit the guy causing him to sit in the button, I'd guess so.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 555
Could a larger one trigger a warning system like the false alarms in Hawaii and Japan?

If they hit the guy causing him to sit in the button, I'd guess so.

They say it was a mouseclick on a drop down menu and not a button on a console. Apparently "missile alarm" and "missile alarm test" are next to each other in the drop down menu. Somebody didn't do a good job with the software.

I didnt see the flash indoors but I hear the rumble, I thought it was the snow sliding off the metal roof. I looked outside and didnt see the huge pile of snow that usually comes after the rumble. Turns out it was the sound of the meteor. The house vibrated slightly during the sound.
I am about 15 miles South of Flint

I was walking the dog in the dark last night and saw just a glimpse about 8 pm (didn't have a watch or phone). I'm in west Michigan so it sounded more like a loud sparkler on fire, but cool none the less.

I saw a trajectory map from the weather service showing it fell from East to West through Brighton/Howell area and likely landed in Hamburg twp, It came across roughly mid to upper Livingston county

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back