Idemitsu 0W-20 GF5

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Anyone see a VOA or any 3rd party test on this?

My buddies in Japan are running this and recommend it for my Honda.

Just trying to get an idea of what it may be closest to on the market in the US.

Thanks

UD

Last edited:
Thanks -I tried finding it and even used Google which usually works great - got nada -

UD

Take a look at Amazon.com and search for Idemitsu 0w-20. You should find 3 different flavors, each with a link to the manufacturer’s product data sheet. Not the same as a VOA but will give you an idea of Idemitsu options.

It’s my understanding that the Idemitsu made in the States is not the high moly oil they have in Japan. The one sure way to get the high moly oil is to purchase the Mazda Moly oil online which comes from Japan.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It’s my understanding that the Idemitsu made in the States is not the high moly oil they have in Japan. The one sure way to get the high moly oil is to purchase the Mazda Moly oil online which comes from Japan.

Good point

I wasnt specifically looking for high moly - they didn't say that they said the 020 that meets GF5 -

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Good point

I wasnt specifically looking for high moly - they didn't say that they said the 020 that meets GF5 -

UD

It has gotten confusing for me after they introduced their Zepro Eco Medalist. Apparently there are two kinds.

Zepro Eco Medalist with Moly is made in the U.S.

and wow 38 bones for a 5er of it- seems like Mobil 1 AP whereas the regular stuff is like EP.

gonna pass on that for now and stick with the regular stuff.

amazon - good call

UD

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I bought 25 qts of it for $13. Five jugs and 5 quart bottles of it.

total steal

UD

It would be interesting to know exactly what's in this Indiana brew, which is what you'd get here.
For what it sold for on clearance, it really wouldn't matter.
If you want high moly, Mazda's store brand would be your pick here.
One does have to wonder why most oils have gone to lower moly treat rates.
Yeah, moly is the most costly add in any oil, but are there other good reasons?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It would be interesting to know exactly what's in this Indiana brew, which is what you'd get here.

There’s another recent thread here that has a VOA of Zepro Eco Medalist with Moly 0w-20 from the Russian Auto Club. No guarantee this is identical to the Indiana product but with the same brand name and viscosity you’d think it would be close. This VOA shows molybdenum of >900 ppm.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Got 10 quarts coming in - might just do a VOA on it to see what baseline is, but have no reason to send guess the spec sheet.

Going to run it in my ridgeline after I dump the factory fill at about 5-6K.

UD

There are some VOAs of Idemitsu made HGMO 0W-20 in that forum.
The add levels vary pretty widely with various formulation.
I do have some remaining quarts of Idemitsu made high-moly HGMO 0W-20 API SM.
I can tell you that I really couldn't see any difference in running, starting or fuel economy as compared to any other 0W-20 oil I've run in my K24, consisting of M1 AFE, PP, SSO and of course the HGMO.
I will note that the SSO seemed to remain smoother out to the 15% MM at which I drained it than did any other oil, this being around 8.5K.

Price on Amazon went up 10.00 a jug in the last week.

Shoulda bought more..!

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Price on Amazon went up 10.00 a jug in the last week.

Shoulda bought more..!

UD

It's $34 a Jug right now at Amazon no bargain.

Back to Pennzoil Platinum or M1 at this price.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back