Only in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to post a photo of leaving work of an afternoon one day...usually have to wade through about 20 of them.

(there's usually about that number wandering the power station itself)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'll have to post a photo of leaving work of an afternoon one day...usually have to wade through about 20 of them.

They probably have laws against this down under but if you accidentally hit and killed one you should take it home to make that famous wallaby stew I’ve heard of.

Are they mean or friendly creatures? I've only seen them in drive-thru "safari" zoos. They seemed uninterested in humans or maybe the captive ones just got bored.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Are they mean or friendly creatures? I've only seen them in drive-thru "safari" zoos. They seemed uninterested in humans or maybe the captive ones just got bored.

I'm curious about this as well, but if I had to guess, I'd say one should stay away from them, especially this guy! (If we are talking Roo's and not Wallaby's?)

IIRC, most Aussie view them as a nuisance. Am I correct thinking that?

They get their wallabies from New Zealand...or one breed anyway. They were imported here and became a pest, meanwhile in Australia they were headed to extinction...so we gave them back. We exchange ferals.

Originally Posted By: irv

I'm curious about this as well, but if I had to guess, I'd say one should stay away from them, especially this guy! (If we are talking Roo's and not Wallaby's?)

They generally are harmless...the males (roos) can get very territorial and quite aggressive.

Know a guy who rescued one from a grid over a truck dump hopper, that then decided to kick the snot out of him once it got it's footing.

They are a pain on the roads, will run away from you at night/dusk, then turn in to the bit that they can see illuminated by your headlights...then you whack them. There's probably about 10 dead ones between here and work (18 miles).

Bathurst race has been stopped a couple of times, and race cars have hit them. They can be serious problems on rural grass airstrips.

We love them, and they are very tasty, but even when they are in plague proportions, certain groups would rather have them starve themselves to death than manage them.

If a farmer has a ticket to shoot them, he can be inspected to see if he's feeding his dogs roo meat...stupid.

They are interesting in that they can carry fertilised eggs and an embryo in "suspended animation" ready to go when the food is good.

Originally Posted By: irv

They generally are harmless...the males (roos) can get very territorial and quite aggressive.

Know a guy who rescued one from a grid over a truck dump hopper, that then decided to kick the snot out of him once it got it's footing.

They are a pain on the roads, will run away from you at night/dusk, then turn in to the bit that they can see illuminated by your headlights...then you whack them. There's probably about 10 dead ones between here and work (18 miles).

Bathurst race has been stopped a couple of times, and race cars have hit them. They can be serious problems on rural grass airstrips.

We love them, and they are very tasty, but even when they are in plague proportions, certain groups would rather have them starve themselves to death than manage them.

If a farmer has a ticket to shoot them, he can be inspected to see if he's feeding his dogs roo meat...stupid.

They are interesting in that they can carry fertilised eggs and an embryo in "suspended animation" ready to go when the food is good.

Interesting! I didn't know any of that.
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back