2018 Honda CRV factory filled engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very recently I happened to check 2018 Honda CRV. It had less than 500 miles on it. I noticed that the color of engine oil is kind of dark greenish. Normally all new engine oils show as golden during oil change. So is this factory filled oil different?

All that humidity in Texas has allowed the oil to grow algae in it, snails eat algae so you can drop 10-12 snails in there and after 100 miles or so it should be golden.

Just change it, consider getting a spun microglass filter especially on young engines. Royal Purple, Amsoil EA, Fram Ultra, Wix XP are all synthetic filter.

oil filter test

Look at the patches in that test, at 30 microns there is nearly zero contamination that makes it past the spun microglass filtration. Every paper filter has much contamination at the same size. Kind of cut and dry, if you use paper you simply like 30 micron particles floating around your engine.

Originally Posted By: burla
Just change it, consider getting a spun microglass filter especially on young engines. Royal Purple, Amsoil EA, Fram Ultra, Wix XP are all synthetic filter.

oil filter test

Look at the patches in that test, at 30 microns there is nearly zero contamination that makes it past the spun microglass filtration. Every paper filter has much contamination at the same size. Kind of cut and dry, if you use paper you simply like 30 micron particles floating around your engine.

He is only at 500km, and it's a Honda. You are not supposed to do the first oil change early.

OP, it's fine. Just drive it.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
You are not supposed to do the first oil change early.

Where does it say you are not supposed to? Don't misinterpret the OCI recommendations/schedule as you shouldn't, not supposed to, cant, etc.
Honda pre lubes the engines with a moly compound possibly containing zinc (it did in the 90's I cant say about today) on the bearing shells and cams, that's the color he is seeing. It is for first start protection not a break in lube and changing it early is not an issue but that's a different subject.

Originally Posted By: BKTX
Very recently I happened to check 2018 Honda CRV.

Have you purchased it yet?

Originally Posted By: Trav

Where does it say you are not supposed to?

In our factory service bulletins. I have posted it here on the forums several times.

Last edited:

Where does it say you are not supposed to? Don't misinterpret the OCI recommendations/schedule as you shouldn't, not supposed to, cant, etc.
Honda pre lubes the engines with a moly compound possibly containing zinc (it did in the 90's I cant say about today) on the bearing shells and cams, that's the color he is seeing. It is for first start protection not a break in lube and changing it early is not an issue but that's a different subject.

When I sold Hondas, all salesmen were given a FAQ handout for inquisitive customers concerned about their new car. This was one of the questions on Honda's FAQ sheet:

I've seen it posted on a few Honda dealership websites as well, so it's something that they are pretty open about with customers.

Originally Posted By: JustN89

When I sold Hondas, all salesmen were given a FAQ handout for inquisitive customers concerned about their new car. This was one of the questions on Honda's FAQ sheet:

I've seen it posted on a few Honda dealership websites as well, so it's something that they are pretty open about with customers.

Maybe someone with a better memory can help me out. IIRC reading on this site that verbiage was for the North American markets, and possibly Japan. Other markets it was OK to change the FF early.

so yeah keep it in then til first maintenance. So is moly now better at seating the engine then zinc? i get the moly coating the cam thing, but zinc is still the beast that can knock down sharp edges.

so found this, 2016 your model uoa on factory fill, a lot of moly. good stuff

CRV2016March_zpsyjtmmfqd.jpg~original

The real question is with all of the new sparce additive low visc oils, why do more companies not have high moly. Can only be good for the direction auto manufacturing is going with the di turbo's. get you some lubeguard's biotech.

Originally Posted By: burla
The real question is with all of the new sparce additive low visc oils, why do more companies not have high moly. Can only be good for the direction auto manufacturing is going with the di turbo's. get you some lubeguard's biotech.

Moly is bad for cat converters and O2 sensors.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Maybe someone with a better memory can help me out. IIRC reading on this site that verbiage was for the North American markets, and possibly Japan. Other markets it was OK to change the FF early.

They build the engines the same, regardless of what market.

Some engines have specific break-in procedures and oils. The dark green color could be from a special additive for the brand new engine. Check the owners manual for the for the break-in procedure. It may say to leave the factory filled oil in for a certain number of miles.

I also agree that synthetic fiberglass filters are the best when it comes to filtration.

Did you also read where Honda desires to be seen by consumers as a "green company" by adopting conservative first engine oil change intervals? Honda Germany specs 1000-2000 Km (600-1200mi) for the first service including oil and filter change depending on model, same engines, same compounds for first start protection, if it were the same as the US I would probably agree with you. Why the discrepancy? Fair question IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back