Cleaning oils, who's best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I was just reading about Valvoline being an excellent cleaning oil or an oil that doesn't leave a lot of deposits, and rather than hijacking that post, it got me wondering, as I have read/heard that Pennzoil oils are known to be the best in that regard, if there is any data/proof of which one, including other oils, that are also excellent cleaners that are backed by actual real proof?

I have never used Valvoline and personally don't see a reason too as I prefer Pennzoil (personal choice) but I would like to know how these, and other oils, stack up against one another as far as cleaning goes?

Is the playing field to diverse to conclusively say one is better than the other or is there actual data that conclusively proves, without a doubt, that "A" cleans better than "B" and so on?

Last edited:
Lots of opinions and advertising hype, actual data, good luck finding it. If you do please post a link to it, I'd love to see the firestorm that produces.
wink.gif

Irv, I concur with demarpaint's comment... there are tons of opinions and very little scientific data. It's really just something that is incredibly difficult to produce valid results on across many different oils... how do you get identical engines identically sludgy?

Even the "cleaners" like Auto-RX, MMO, Seafoam, etc etc etc... only show results on one engine, with no way to compare. Run a good oil, with shorter OCIs, will definitely clean up excess wear metals floating about but will not eliminate underlying mechanical problems. Until proven otherwise, I maintain the best way to clean a sludgy engine is to never let it get that way in the first place!
smile.gif

two ways to skin a cat with add packs. Would say look for oils with a lot of boron" in them but it seems Valvoline cleans well without having any. Have heard stories of mechanics tearing into engines & not seeing any sludge with Valvoline white bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Irv, I concur with demarpaint's comment... there are tons of opinions and very little scientific data. It's really just something that is incredibly difficult to produce valid results on across many different oils... how do you get identical engines identically sludgy?

Even the "cleaners" like Auto-RX, MMO, Seafoam, etc etc etc... only show results on one engine, with no way to compare. Run a good oil, with shorter OCIs, will definitely clean up excess wear metals floating about but will not eliminate underlying mechanical problems. Until proven otherwise, I maintain the best way to clean a sludgy engine is to never let it get that way in the first place!
smile.gif

I agree with him, and you, as well. I was just hoping something existed somewhere that actually proved what they try to market "Our oils are the best at cleaning"

I also know all oils, in general, have come a long ways the last few years so one could likely conclude "most" are great at keeping things clean nowadays. I was just hoping their was info somewhere that would back up what they are actually claiming but I knew when I wrote this post, that wasn't very likely.

Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. It has to say "Restore" in the name or it's not the right product.

It's designed specifically to clean heavy carbon from the ring packs in Cummins ISX engines.

Hideously expensive, largely because it has more ester content than pretty much any oil you can buy. Has to be purchased through a Cummins distributor; it's normally sold as a service event rather than an oil per se, but apparently Cummins distributors will sell it.

Hard to imagine there's anything out there that'll be as effective.

Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

smile.gif

I agree with him, and you, as well. I was just hoping something existed somewhere that actually proved what they try to market "Our oils are the best at cleaning"

I also know all oils, in general, have come a long ways the last few years so one could likely conclude "most" are great at keeping things clean nowadays. I was just hoping their was info somewhere that would back up what they are actually claiming but I knew when I wrote this post, that wasn't very likely.

I doubt you'll ever know for sure. What you'll most likely see is posters favorites and some success stories about the product/products they've used. Take from it what you see fit. I'm currently liking PU, prior to that I liked [and still like Mobil 1]. Bottom line is most of the brand name players will do fine keeping an engine clean or do some cleaning, and opinions and experiences are going to vary.

Here's an opinion of mine: If the engine is really sludged and varnished it is going to take more than a good cleaning oil to clean it up within what I consider a reasonable amount of time. That opinion is based on my observations and experiences of over 4+ decades of DIY work, hands on experience, and sharing the experiences of people who know a lot more than I do.
27.gif
FTR some oils do clean better than others...........

Some people claim Pennz Ultra Platinum is the best....

I would venture a guess that redline with a fair bit of ester oil in the blend would clean better than anything.

Just a guess.....

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. It has to say "Restore" in the name or it's not the right product.

It's designed specifically to clean heavy carbon from the ring packs in Cummins ISX engines.

Hideously expensive, largely because it has more ester content than pretty much any oil you can buy. Has to be purchased through a Cummins distributor; it's normally sold as a service event rather than an oil per se, but apparently Cummins distributors will sell it.

This ^
smile.gif

But you really have to want to clean to go this route.

Normally I just run HDEO and add a full can of BG109 for the last 100 miles or so, then change oil. Works for me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: d00df00d

This ^
smile.gif

But you really have to want to clean to go this route.

Normally I just run HDEO and add a full can of BG109 for the last 100 miles or so, then change oil. Works for me
smile.gif

Do you normally do this with every oil change or just with engines that you know/think are dirty?

Personally, I just want an oil that will keep things clean, or help to clean things up if I know an engine has been neglected some.
I trust Pennzoil for this and that is one, of many, reasons why I use it.

I run HDEO's in gas engines, and have for like 40 years - fleet oils. But, if I come across one that is going through a fair amount of oil, I'll put in a fresh PCV and use a cleaner to free up the rings. On upright engines, that's usually a ring soak over night with Break Free gun solvent. On V engines, it'll be a full can of BG109 for the last 100 miles before an oil change.

I don't sweat a little sludge or varnish. I've run engines to well over 300K with some of both and they ran fine, until the didn't (usually a cam chain failure ...). Just keeping sludge and varnish to a minimum is usually a job for an appropriate HDEO
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back