1999 Malibu No Start but Cranks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! I am looking to this community for some help. I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu (2.4L) with a crank but no start issue. I know in order for the car to start, it must have fuel delivery and spark. I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key, and the fuel pressure gauge reads 31 PSI when I hook it up. As far as spark, I saw on Scotty Kilmer's YouTube channel a quick method to test that: hook a new spark plug to a spark plug wire and connect power to it. I used my cell phone to record it and saw a tiny spark occurring periodically. I'm trying to save money and not have it towed...can somebody show me what's next?

I do not know of any other issues with the car. It has been well maintained. The only recent service it had was a brake job and new tires from a local shop.

Edit: The battery was purchased around March 2015. I'll put it on trickle charge - cold out - but I think it is ok.

Last edited:
I was hoping someone could think of something obvious before I had to break that thing out. When I plug it in it shows nothing. Any tricks I don't know for a code to appear or am I that unlucky?

EDIT: P0300

Last edited:
Some more info on the car: It has 263, 085 miles with original everything. Plugs and wires where changed roughly 35,000 miles ago.

Hi Nick, yes I did. Any help is appreciated. I guess the car is so old I might just need to look for a new/used car with less than 260K!

Even though you have fuel pressure at the rail, it's possible the fuel injectors are not firing and therefore you don't have any fuel. You can use a test light to back-probe the wires at the injectors to see if you have power and a signal from the ECM.

I had a similar issue with a 2001 Grand Am years ago. Ended up being the PASSKey ignition having random issues. Try leaving the key in the "on" position for 10 minutes, this will reset the PASSKey system and the vehicle might just start. My symptom was a flashing "security" light on the dash when the key was in the "on" position. After 10+ minutes, I believe the light either goes out, or stays steady, at that point it should start.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
I had a similar issue with a 2001 Grand Am years ago. Ended up being the PASSKey ignition having random issues. Try leaving the key in the "on" position for 10 minutes, this will reset the PASSKey system and the vehicle might just start. My symptom was a flashing "security" light on the dash when the key was in the "on" position. After 10+ minutes, I believe the light either goes out, or stays steady, at that point it should start.

+1 for the above comment!

THIS! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I owe you so much. Left it on for ~10 mins after I read this and it worked. Weird though, my security light never flashed. Will it do it again or is this permanent?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Scienceman

THIS! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I owe you so much. Left it on for ~10 mins after I read this and it worked. Weird though, my security light never flashed. Will it do it again or is this permanent?

Mine did it maybe 2-3 times total, just happened at complete random times.

I know you said you could hear the fuel pump running but try starting with the pedal to the floor and see what happens. You could even try spraying some ether down the intake to see if it'll start.

Double check the fuel pressure spec, my book shows 41-47 psi for the 4 cylinder.
If that's correct and your have 31, may be your problem - then look at regulator or fuel pump.

This problem is everywhere on that gen Grand Am, Alero, Malibu, Monte Carlo, and other vehicles with PassLock.

There is a fix for this that I've done to my car. You must bypass the system entirely because there is a bad solder in the ignition module for the security program. Otherwise you'll have to replace the ignition module again and again due to the aging [censored] GM design. Once you do this repair there will be no issues in the future.

Here is the fix:

http://www.bergerweb.net/PasslockFix/

It works. Create a dummy sensor that'll work with the control module that activates the security program (cutting the fuel injectors). Once you do the fix, this problem will never happen again.

Very easy. Took me about 20 minutes to follow each step. Careful with removing the radio; don't detach the big cord at the back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back