EER energy efficiency ratings savings calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have old PTAC units with an 8.6 EER rating. If l purchase a modern one with a 13.3 rating, could the same mathematical anology be made as comparing a car that gets 8.6 MPGs to a car that gets 13.3 MPGs?
I'm trying to determine if it is worthwhile to junk three old units and replace them with energy efficient models.

I estimate that the heating and cooling component of my electric bill is about $1000 a year based on comparisons in electric bills for months l don't run the AC or heat such as May.

I can get 3 brand new PTACs shipped for about $2200-2300 if l install them myself.

We had an unusually cold December in the Northeast and my usual $70 to 80 dollar electric bill for December skyrocketed to $300.

My inclination is that new units will pay for themselves in under 10 years, but l need to determine if my math is correct.

These probably won't be as easy to sell as Window A/C units, but what's the likelihood that you can sell these to offset some of the purchase? Even if it's $20 each, it's better than nothing and you might be able to find someone to remove them for you. Or, were you planning on letting the installer take and junk them?

As dnewton3 says, Google is your friend. I just replaced every single bulb in our house with low-wattage LED's. I originally thought to replace them as they burned out, but using an energy calculator, inputting conservative numbers, showed that just about every bulb would pay for itself within the warranty period of its warranty period. For outside lights, where every single bit of non-light energy is being wasted (in the winter), the payback is less than a year. For the dining room chandelier, which has 6 60W candelabra bulbs, the payback is similarly short. Some others aren't as frequently used, and will take much longer to pay back; however, the fact that they're instant-on in the winter (basement and other outside lights) makes them beneficial.

I plan to donate the remaining CFL's to someone who can use them, instead of recycling, since 50% or more of the lights I replaced as still working. I'm sure someone will want the incandescent bulbs, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back