5w-20 in Ford 4.0 for 80,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran into an older gentleman (older then me) at the hardware store and I commented on his 2010 Ford explorer with the 4.0. The vehicle was in great shape with 80,000 miles. He took in in for service Yesterday to the dealer where he purchased. He goes to the dealer for all his work and has all service records. I asked him what oil he use's and he said whatever they put in. He showed me the invoice and the service record printout and it showed XO5W20BSP.
They have been using this oil I believe its bulk 5w-20 synthetic blend since new. Then I opened my mouth and said I believe that is the incorrect oil. It should be 5w-30. He said he believes the dealer knows what they are doing. Told him to check his manual. He did and it said 5w30. He said he was going back to question them (we know what they are going to say). The engine sounded great no noise. He serviced it every 3,000 to 4,000 miles with filter change. I told him to hold on to his service reecords. I know ford sent out a tsb in 2001 changing what oil to use in certain engine's but the 4.0 stayed the same.
Is Is it possible ford corrected the issue that they had with the 4.0 (oil pump? they had 9 years to do it) and changed the oil specifications or added 5w20. These engines have had the timming chain issue back in 97-05?. Do you think any damage was done to his engine. I ask because the guy seemed worried. Would you have brought it to someone's attention? I would think if any damage was done to the engine it would have happened already. Your thoughts.

If his 8yr-old engine has gone this far, and lasted this long on the "wrong oil", how wrong could it really be?

My son in law has three Merc Benz and uses reg M1 5-30 in all of them, which two are Diesels and one is the SL 500. I mentioned to him that reg 5-30 M1 wasn't the correct spec but he wasn't concerned. Results: All three engines are performing great. Go figure.

Ford NEVER back-spec'd 5w20 for this engine. They recommended 5w30 right up until this engine went out of production in 2011. There must've been a reason for it. I would never use 5w20 in mine.

If he was towing at max capacity, I could see having an issue with too thin an oil, but for general retired guy driving, I'm sure the 5W20 was fine, perhaps even preferable if the oil never really got heated up?

Maybe not the newer iterations but I know the earlier 3rd gen Explorers liked to eat timing chains/guides and as such stuck with 5w-30. The whole timing chain issue was why I insisted on a 4.6 while shopping for my Mountaineer.

3000-4000 mi OCI would likely have KV@100*C shears a Ford blend 5W20 to 7.5-8 cSt.
It's weakest link is probably timing chain wear.

It's saving grace would be short OCI, short tripping, daily driver , cool or cold ambients,no high load/high temperature driving, blend has a tiny bit of Mo etc.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I put him at 70-75. He's Been to Florida 2 times and California 1 time. Probably Had the vehicle serviced in both states. He is set in 3-4,000 OCI. Why do so many folks have so much confidence in the dealers. What ticks me off is they have all the ford info at their finger tips and are either to lazy or stup## to use it. How is it when taking off the fill cap and seeing 5w30 don't they get.

Just wondering, is SN 5w-20 better than SL/SJ 5w-30?
Being a 2010, it was probably designed for SL/SJ oils (SM did not come out till 2010).

So is the thinner (and probably more shear stable) SM/SN 5w-20 oil really that bad compared to the thicker SL/SJ 5w-30 oil?

AS said, it has gotten the vehicle to where it is with no apparent issues.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Is him trusting his Ford dealer really any different than most guys here thinking they know better and using oil different than factory spec?

Agreed. The manufacturers oil specs and change requirements are always the best choice for long life...We've never seen any manufacturers change requirements.....AND we've never seen any sort of preventable failure when serviced according to manufacturers requirements....

There was a guy here that would have said he is running exactly the right oil with xw20. Given the location and probable operating conditions its probably no worse for wear and tear. From your description I would be surprised if this engine ever really got the oil up to operating temps and over 2500 RPM.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
...but I know the earlier 3rd gen Explorers liked to eat timing chains/guides and as such stuck with 5w-30.

^^^ THIS

Those late model 4.0 's are REALLY REALLY REALLY difficult to do the chains on, also!!

Originally Posted By: littleant
Thanks guys. I put him at 70-75. He's Been to Florida 2 times and California 1 time. Probably Had the vehicle serviced in both states. He is set in 3-4,000 OCI. Why do so many folks have so much confidence in the dealers. What ticks me off is they have all the ford info at their finger tips and are either to lazy or stup## to use it. How is it when taking off the fill cap and seeing 5w30 don't they get.

Wow, you must live in a world where if someone else does something you don't like, you get all bent out of shape. It's his truck, he's happy having the work done by the dealer, and he hasn't had any problems from what you said.

There are many people on this forum who use something different than what may be recommended by the manufacturer or the oil cap marking, or the owner's manual. Are they all stupid or too lazy also? Do they tick you off also? Can't they be allowed to do what they want with their own vehicles without you posting your rant or getting ticked off?

Why do so many folks have so much confidence in the dealers.

New flash, not all dealers are "stealer ships". Many people have confidence having their vehicles worked on and maintained by dealers. It's their choice again, not yours.

Originally Posted By: ls973800
Originally Posted By: littleant

Wow, you must live in a world where if someone else does something you don't like, you get all bent out of shape. It's his truck, he's happy having the work done by the dealer, and he hasn't had any problems from what you said.

There are many people on this forum who use something different than what may be recommended by the manufacturer or the oil cap marking, or the owner's manual. Are they all 4 or too lazy also? Do they tick you off also? Can't they be allowed to do what they want with their own vehicles without you posting your rant or getting ticked off?

Why do so many folks have so much confidence in the dealers.

New flash, not all dealers are "stealer ships". Many people have confidence having their vehicles worked on and maintained by dealers. It's their choice again, not yours.
Where did you read that I did not like his his choice of oil. He did not chose the oil the dealer did. And they chose an oil not recommended by Ford. This engine falls outside of what most manufacture require for there engines. Most have other options from the manufacture. The 4.0 has one 5w30. And who said people on this forum were stupid or lazy. I believe most bitog's if they owned this vehicle would follow the recommended oil because of an issue with the engine. No bitog is going to install an oil they know may hurt or damage their engine. AGAIN THE OWNER DID NOT CHOOSE 5w20 THE DEALER DID. Get your facts straight.

If he has an oil related problem, the dealer will probably, I hope, take care of the fella and his problem since he has had service there

All the owner has to do is ask them to put 5w30 MC syn-blend in it next time. Problem solved.

I know the Ford dealer put 5w20 in the Matrix the first time I brought it there. The next time they put in 5w30 without me asking. Since then they keep putting that in there and I get the same tech each time I go there since I park in front of the 2nd bay. Does a nice job also. When I took it there to have some tires installed(different bay) I specifically asked for 5w30 so there would be no confusion.

When citing a problem to someone always have a solution in mind to offer them.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
All the owner has to do is ask them to put 5w30 MC syn-blend in it next time. Problem solved.

I know the Ford dealer put 5w20 in the Matrix the first time I brought it there. The next time they put in 5w30 without me asking. Since then they keep putting that in there and I get the same tech each time I go there since I park in front of the 2nd bay. Does a nice job also. When I took it there to have some tires installed(different bay) I specifically asked for 5w30 so there would be no confusion.

When citing a problem to someone always have a solution in mind to offer them.
Hi SatinSilver He said he was going back to question the dealer on the oil they were using. I told him to hold on to all his service records and show them his owners manual. Could not think what else to tell him.

This would be the ultimate BITOG nightmare. Buying a used car that has been meticulously maintained, only to find the wrong grade of oil was used.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back