'Wheels Up, Guns Down' rallies in South Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a County Officer during the early 2000s in that area (Miami, Fl. NW 17th avenue between 40th and 79th street). I can tell you MLK Day was a challenge. 95% good folks looking to celebrate a great American and 5% incredibly dangerous knuckleheads ruining everything for everyone else.

Ah yes stunting on public roads using vehicles that are designated for offroad use only.

And once again us law abiding motorcycle riders look bad by proxy.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I was a County Officer during the early 2000s in that area (Miami, Fl. NW 17th avenue between 40th and 79th street). I can tell you MLK Day was a challenge. 95% good folks looking to celebrate a great American and 5% incredibly dangerous knuckleheads ruining everything for everyone else.

Similar story with Cinco de Mayo around Chicago when I lived there, there was a small portion of the population that thought celebrating should involve speeding through red lights while people hung out of the car windows waving flags. Everybody knew to watch and wait for a while every time the light changed...just nuts. I celebrated my wife and I both getting to and from work without getting killed or maimed that day...

My dirt bike is road legal with plate, lights, reg, and all, but there's no way I'm going out in the middle of anybody those events. Police are supposed to be extra tough this year.

I saw where the Miami PD raided several homes and confiscated stolen dirt bikes. One of the "wheelie boys" had posted a photo on his social media complaining and stating they were taken from a fenced in yard and had "clean" VIN #'s. The bikes he was referring to were all found to have been stolen out of Houston (where he was from). I hope these bikes make it back to their rightful owners.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Similar story with Cinco de Mayo around Chicago when I lived there, there was a small portion of the population that thought celebrating should involve speeding through red lights while people hung out of the car windows waving flags. Everybody knew to watch and wait for a while every time the light changed...just nuts. I celebrated my wife and I both getting to and from work without getting killed or maimed that day...

When I lived in the City of Chicago the 3 most dangerous times IMHO was new years eve, Cinco de mayo and 4th of July. Between the drunken lawlessness, speeding cars driving like they were in Mexico city and the random gunfire it was a dangerous time to be out, or in you house near a window. Sometimes just making eye contact with one of the street gang members you might encounter going among your daily life was enough to trigger or "challenge" them.

Alot of really nice people as well. Some of the best people I have ever met in my life lived in the old neighborhood, but man it was downright scary when I decided to drop out of college and get out of there.

Glad I got out of that [censored] hole.

To any of those who are aghast at what I just said, you would have to see it with you own eyes. Trust me, it was that bad.

Now parts of Chicago are very nice, my family couldn't afford to live in those areas though.

Last edited:

Best part is that at the end of the day you guys end up being labeled the 💩heads for spoiling every bodies fun, am I right? Ahhh the life of a modern lawman. I wouldn’t do it again today for anything. Way too much liability with every sort of riffraff having some sort of protection movement and an ambulance chaser on speed dial.
There’s really no reason logically for crazy stupid violations like blasting through red lights which are incredibly dangerous. It’s because certain spineless public officials cater to these groups and keep police on a short leash so as not to spoil their fun. I shake my head...

Today is a holiday? Why am I working?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Driz
I wouldn’t do it again today for anything. Way too much liability with every sort of riffraff having some sort of protection movement and an ambulance chaser on speed dial.
There’s really no reason logically for crazy stupid violations like blasting through red lights which are incredibly dangerous. It’s because certain spineless public officials cater to these groups and keep police on a short leash so as not to spoil their fun. I shake my head...

-I was one
-My eldest brother just retired from the City of Miami PD
-My Brother-in-Law is one in Phoenix

I can unequivocally agree with you, i would not do again.

Being a cop in south Florida is difficult.... especially in Liberty City where the TV show 'First 48' is always filming the investigation of violent murders.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Being a cop in south Florida is difficult.... especially in Liberty City where the TV show 'First 48' is always filming the investigation of violent murders.

My Brother was there for 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back