After market equivalent to GM superlube

Status
Not open for further replies.
The product I’m thinking of is called GM Superlube, product 12346421 and lubricates with PTFE. I ‘m assuming it’s a rebranded Superlube product. Superlube is a brand name that has a whole range of products. I’ll look for one with PTFE in it. Thanks for the input.

SF

Yep, found it. Comes in various versions , spray, tube, cartridge. The commonality is that they seem to have a component called Syncolon PTFE. I’m assuming GM’s is a spray can.

SF

Last edited:
The best know PTFE is Teflon which is actually a brand name. This is Teflon lubricant. Dah. And yes, it uses a silicon base as das-peikko mentioned.

SF

Last edited:
While the GM product search shows that it recommends use on door weatherstripping, the Super Lube site says their product is NOT compatible with EPDM rubber, a common type found on vehicles. I'm talking about the synthetic lube, not the silicone lube.

Yes, it seems there is a synthetic oil based lube with Teflon from Superlube and I'm thinking there is also a silicone based lube with Teflon from Superlube. I'll check it out more.

Last edited:
Checked out the Superlube website and there is indeed products that are synthetic oil with PTFE and products that are silicone with PTFE. Superlube is a brand name with a ton of different lubricants.

If you’re puttin it on a GM, particularly a truck it’s not so much what you put on but making sure that you keep them oiled VERY WELL. They will still wear out in short order anyway no matter what you do. Big thing is getting the new bushings installed ASAP as soon as you see door sag or it will egg out the hinges mounting hole then you are never going to keep it right. Only welding the pin in place after that. It’s a disturbingly simple process that for some reason everyone avoids, why I don’t know.🤦‍♂️ Keep those puppies well oiled or else!

The components are Polyalphaolefin, White Mineral oil, Antioxidant, Fumed Silicon, Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) better known as Teflon, Polyglycol and Propietary Additives. Says right on the can this is a Superlube Product with Syncolon (PTFE] in it. Keep In mind Superlube makes a whole line of products.

SF

Last edited:
This is the product GM wants you to use to lubicate the hood and door hinges, liftgate hinge, hinges on folding seats and the fuel door. GM says you can put it on weatherstripping to cure squeaks.

SF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Superlube is already an aftermarket brand. GM don't own it. And Superlube is a silicone based grease.

Superlube is a brand name and has a whole range of products. The silicone based lubricant is just one.

I tried out the GM Superlube on the hinges of my trunk. When I hit the fob the trunk would pop then move up 6 inches.I would raise it and hear a bit of a squeak. I used the product on the hinges. It comes out as a clear fluid and the carrier quickly evaporates. Got a bit on my hand and it dried leaving a very slippery "teflon" layer. Anyway, now when I hit the fob the trunk pops opens fully to the max with no squeak. Great stuff.

SF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Superlube is already an aftermarket brand. GM don't own it. And Superlube is a silicone based grease.

I can confirm what das peikko said. The GM Superlube is definitely a silicone based clear lube with "Teflon" in it.

SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back