Ford escape factory filter CUT OPEN, 5,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening folks. This factory filter was off friends 2018 Escape with 2.0 engine. Put magnatec 5w30 and WIX filter on. First time I EVER saw WIX made Ford factory filter.

Enjoy the pics

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: gotnogunk
I'm sure it worked fine but a FL910S sure looks better. Just buy a WIX or NAPA Gold.

I have cut open many MC 910s and have never seen one with twisted media.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Interesting! Makes me wonder if Ford may be changing over to WIX as a supplier.

Guess folks can't tell wavy from twisted. What a joke

MParr: good question

To the best of my knowledge the filters installed at the engine assembly line aren't tied to the aftermarket service replacement line of MC filters. The assembly line contract is probably sourced from a bid for product flow a specific length of contract. Just a guess.

I thought most OEMs used a unique, not available for retail purchase oil filter in new cars to have one more way of ensuring the owner actually changed the oil and filter at least once. So what comes off a new Ford engine may not necessarily be a MotorCraft.

Car51
Notice the last two letters (BA). This is a new series, the old suffix letters were AA. Plug the old part # (9W7E-6714-AA) in and Mann W-7015 comes up.

That is the exact filter that came off a 16 Land Rover Evoque with the 2.0t as well, she only went 13k on her first oil change.

I hope so ... but it would still be M+H so might not change anything in terms of quality.

Originally Posted By: car51

Guess folks can't tell wavy from twisted. What a joke

MParr: good question

LOL! Play on words. Same difference. I hope Ford isn't changing over to WIX if the media is going to be twisted like that in the FL 910.

ONLY on the assembly line. Not Motorcraft.

Motorcraft (parts) is an entirely separate entity than FoMoCo (assembly line).

They used to be Champ for many years.

Reminds me of this:
20120202-donut-guide-french-cruller.jpg

Pretwisted media could allow more total surface area of the filter media, if done intentionally.

And while grasping a those straws, it also acts like a Oil vornado twisty turny vortex generating drag reducing laminar flow inducing filter, which will supercharge the oil as it gets pumped to the top of the engine with far less parasitic drag, thus improving gas mileage to the point one has to stop every so often and release the extra fuel accumulated.

I'm a bit surprised, especially since the filter is a short unit. I'll stick with Fram Ultra for my vehicles. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back