2007 Yaris Hatchback. No more 14mpg daily driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up this little 2007 2 door hatchback with Toyota's 1.5 and auto trans. 109k miles on it.

Zero smoke or blowby.

Engine specs 5w30 down here. Same engine in my old scion and I always ran 10w40 all the way out to 230k. Being a little older and wiser. I would like to stick with a 5w30.

But... I have 200 quarts of castrol edge 10w40 HM oil.

Any harm in thinning it out with half 0w20 matching oil in each change?

Unit sees 90 miles per day. 15 miles of back roads and then all highway to work. Very little stop and go.

Also, any harm in swapping the trans over to valvoline full syn dex merc?

You will be just fine with the 10W-40 due to the climate there. Use it with confidence. Take a guess what oil is specified for that exact engine in Australia? Yup, 10W-40.

I'd find a way to get rid of the 10/40 and use the proper oil in the Yaris.

Sorry, but I know this is an oil-related forum and there's supposedly lots of knowledge here. Nonetheless, there's starting to be many oil-related problems show up in all manufacturers of engines because of all sorts of crazy stuff. High mileage oil change intervals on severe-service cars is the most. (hardened seals, leaks, etc.)

That engine and the manufacturer wanted 5w30. It's made it this long with no noticeable problems more than likely because that is what was used. I'd do what it spec'ed.

JMO

10W40, oh my the sky is falling the sky is falling.

kidding....

since you don't really get much cold, where you are (and if you do, just warm it up 1-2 minutes)

I would say you are OK for couple years.

Now, ATF, what is the color of existent, and did you see any maintenance records?
may go to the toyota site and register your VIN to see any history...

anyway, I would not "shock" the system, and go only 1 quart at the time.

I think it has to be T-WS.

Brake fluid? brake pads?

1.5 and auto. I'd change the trans fluid because I'd be flogging it all the time. Not that Aisin trans are bad units, they seem to hold up well enough--but if it was me, I'd probably be considered "severe service".

Given the cost, I'd buy some 5W30 for winter usage. Then use up your 10W40 stash once it warms up. I doubt the car would care. Or you could see about trading oil.

In your climate I'd just run the 10W40 with perhaps a quart of something thinner in winter, depending on how it actually starts.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat

Zero smoke or blowby.

Unit sees 90 miles per day. 15 miles of back roads and then all highway to work. Very little stop and go.

My guess:
-you will not see oil change color over 4-5k miles
-you will not see oil change level over 4-5k miles

you need about 3.2-3.5 qt oil. Filter is tiny.

both oil and atf have dipsticks.

also, what color is the coolant? (usually is the lifetime/100k+ toyota red)

wipers (if still original) get the toyota refils: they are pretty good for 1-1.5 years (I have salt+dust around)

wheels, TPMS: you may need to replace sensors (battery) at 11 years old....

cabin filter?

air filter?

brake fluid? brake performance?

oh, when on the highway, this little go-go-go kart is a bit more susceptible to side winds....

P.S. you can fit a washing machine with back seats down....

It was 21 this morning with 10w40 fill and it didn't hesitate at all.

No wierd noises. No chatter.

GOOD!

check your battery:
I changed mine (original) after 9 Midwest hot+cold years

I only got chatter on mine when i used some conventional 5w30 from advance.

There have been reports of 500k+miles examples on yarisworld....

Just picked up this little 2007 2 door hatchback with Toyota's 1.5 and auto trans. 109k miles on it.

Zero smoke or blowby.

Engine specs 5w30 down here. Same engine in my old scion and I always ran 10w40 all the way out to 230k. Being a little older and wiser. I would like to stick with a 5w30.

But... I have 200 quarts of castrol edge 10w40 HM oil.

Any harm in thinning it out with half 0w20 matching oil in each change?

Also, any harm in swapping the trans over to valvoline full syn dex merc?

Any chance this engine is used in other tropical climates? If so, I imagine 10w40 is acceptable depending on what's available.

I would use regardless. You're good down to 0*F.

That oil's perfect. Use it 100%. What's the point of an 11 year old beater if not to save money?

I hope you eventually find filters for a buck or so on rockauto closeout. Lots of OE and oversize options that'll fit.

Good news is, there's a lot of oversize filters that fit-FL-400S sizes being my personal choice (XG3600 Ultra). I wouldn't use 20 weight in it, in my experience the chains shear oil on this engine. Might turn your 10W40 into 5W30!

On the other hand, I've gotten the miles I have on my ECHO using the tiny OEM Toyota filters and 0W-20 oil since about 50,000 miles. Still no appreciable consumption and no major maintenance except a new clutch about 5000 miles ago. This car has been by far the most trouble-free vehicle I have ever owned. I started using 0W-20 here in the winters and just continued year-round because it was easiest.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

Zero smoke or blowby.

My guess:
-you will not see oil change color over 4-5k miles
-you will not see oil change level over 4-5k miles

you need about 3.2-3.5 qt oil. Filter is tiny.

both oil and atf have dipsticks.

also, what color is the coolant? (usually is the lifetime/100k+ toyota red)

wipers (if still original) get the toyota refils: they are pretty good for 1-1.5 years (I have salt+dust around)

wheels, TPMS: you may need to replace sensors (battery) at 11 years old....

cabin filter?

air filter?

brake fluid? brake performance?

oh, when on the highway, this little go-go-go kart is a bit more susceptible to side winds....

P.S. you can fit a washing machine with back seats down....

Already done air filter and cabin air. And belts. And the easily accessed hoses. Flushed coolant already as well. Brake fluid looks good. No tpms sensors on the base hatchback. No oil usage over 2k miles so far.

Check the book for trans fluid spec. Most Toyotas I owned in that range use WS fluid.

Walmart sells a supertech multi vehicle fluid that meets WS spec, use that if your yaris takes it.

I do believe Maxlife was the preferred WS replacement, or it was a couple years ago. I have that in my '99 and it seems fine, although I checked the other day and it seemed no longer as pink as it used to be after 30kmiles. But that is the change interval so that might be normal (plus I think it was still original 140k ATF when I changed so it might be cleaning out crud).

As others have written, I'd have no problems using a 10W-40 grade oil in this little guy, just as you do in your other two four wheelers.
It gets a little chilly in parts of Louisiana but nothing as compared to here and never cold enough that a 10W wouldn't be okay.
Enjoy the fuel savings and the reliability and durability of one of Toyota's better efforts.

In your climate - use 10w40. If you want - replace 1qt with 0w20 during winter time. That little engine is super reliable and has been that way for 15ish years now. It is a high revving engine, so it produces more heat, as compared to bigger engines that rely on low end torque. So in this little rev-happy engine and your warm climate 10w40 would be almost a perfect option. Use with confidence.

It was 21 this morning with 10w40 fill and it didn't hesitate at all.

No wierd noises. No chatter.
!0 W oil is good to 0*F at least'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back