Pennzoil 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched my 2004 2.0 Golf to Pennzoil euro 0w40, from the factory spec 5w40. I noticed an immediate difference in the cold starts here in Ontario. Does anyone else have experience with this oil? I don't see it mentioned as much, or available at many stores around here.

A small anecdote, this used to be my brother's car. The dealer used to put 5w30 in it, and it would use almost a quart of oil per change (5k). After listening to a friend who is a VW mechanic here, I've stuck to 5w40 and it uses no oil (noticeably on the dipstick), per change.

I have not had experience with it personally, but it makes since that it will flow much better when cold.

5W-40 - @40C - 80.8 cSt
0W-40 - @40C - 72.2 cSt

That is at 104F (40C), so the difference in their viscosities will be greater at around 20F, and the 0W-40 will provide much faster protection.

Their viscosities are basically the same at 100C.

5W-40 - @100C - 13.3 cSt
0W-40 - @100C - 13.0 cSt

Also, they are both approved for VW-502.00, VW-505.00, and Porsche A40.
Porsche A40 is one of the toughest tests for an oil to pass.

I just put it in my 2017 Jetta, put it in with 3K on the clock and now have 7K. Burned a little less than half a quart in the 4K miles.
Also use it in the 12 Jetta on and off. 122K now.

Similar.....
I got familiar with M1 0W-40 and Castrol 0W-30 (both "European Formula") whilst tending the family's turbos.
After reading many posts I finally threw the M1 into my non-turbo V70.

During the recent and ongoing severe cold I'm glad I did. My engine cranks like it's Summertime.
People have asked if I see a drop in mileage. I do not know yet but can answer that question in a year.

If Pennzoil 0W-40 is ever in my sights while on sale, I'll grab some.
Mobil1's everyday price is hard to beat.

OW-40 is a great oil. I started using it in my 2006 Ford F-150 6 cyl. I was shocked at how quickly it turned over in near 0 weather.

Didn't know Pennzoil had a Euro 0W-40, is it Ultra or Platinum? I've seen (and used) the SRT 0W-40 Ultra before and liked it well enough.

Yeah, it's a Euro oil, I just got two jugs for my Audi which takes VW 502 oil.

Edit: it's Pennzoil Platinum Euro

Last edited:
Unfortunately it wasn't on sale and I ended up paying a premium for it, but it was well worth it. It has been in the -25-30C range here and the difference is huge when it turns over.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Similar.....
I got familiar with M1 0W-40 and Castrol 0W-30 (both "European Formula") whilst tending the family's turbos.
After reading many posts I finally threw the M1 into my non-turbo V70.

During the recent and ongoing severe cold I'm glad I did. My engine cranks like it's Summertime.
People have asked if I see a drop in mileage. I do not know yet but can answer that question in a year.

If Pennzoil 0W-40 is ever in my sights while on sale, I'll grab some.
Mobil1's everyday price is hard to beat.

I haven't noticed any mileage difference. Though it is winter and mileage is [censored] all the time for me. last tank was a paltry 22mpg on the golf.

The 0w40's are often the best effort of many manufacturers. Definitely PUP's best effort with the moly and the low range viscosity, a desirable feature of a 40 weight. The 40 weights do not have the gov't in the formula, the can have high zinc and other goodies the commies take out of the 20 and 30 weights.

Originally Posted By: burla
The 0w40's are often the best effort of many manufacturers. Definitely PUP's best effort with the moly and the low range viscosity, a desirable feature of a 40 weight. The 40 weights do not have the gov't in the formula, the can have high zinc and other goodies the commies take out of the 20 and 30 weights.

This is so right.

Originally Posted By: burla

Good point! And I was thinking about switching back to 5W-30 next change, might just stay with a 40!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back