Honda PLM A01 filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
How far would you feel comfortable going on the original Honda filter? Did anyone had experience running it for 7-10K? anyone perhaps had it cut open?

Based on the reading I have done, A01(filtech) is better than A02(Fram/Honeywell).

There are a lot of C&P for A01, let me find one. No worries in terms of going for 7-10k miles.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
How far would you feel comfortable going on the original Honda filter? Did anyone had experience running it for 7-10K? anyone perhaps had it cut open?

Honda says only replace every second oil change. That can be as much as 40k km on the filter.

Last edited:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3578190/all/Cut_Open:_Honda_A01_12,822mi,_

There's mine, 2 OCI, 12,822mi on the filter. I don't hesitate to use it for two long OCIs. I do two OCIs on my Element per filter, with 8,000-10,000mi per OCI.

how did that UOA looked like after running the filter for two OCI?

Thanks

I run the A01 filters out to 10K all the time in my Accord. My owner's manual states the filter can be left on for two OCI, so that means 15,000 miles by the book. The filters would be good for that for my vehicle.

UOA from that filter: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3593651/2009_Civic,_6776mi,_53k,_M1_0W

In real-world experience, I used Napa Gold (Wix) filters for most of the life for almost 400k miles of use over 3 separate Hondas that used that filter.

1. 2005 Accord I4 (74,000 miles)
2. 2007 CR-V I4 (100k miles)
3. 2006 Ridgeline (V6) 206k Miles)

I ran some UOAs on the Ridgeline at 120k, 150k and at 190k), always used 5w20 in all of them. Most of the time in the Accord and CR-V it was Motorcraft. Ridgeline was some Pennz Plat, mostly Mobil 1 after seeing the UOA. The UOA at 190k was a 13k mile run. It came back flawless. Blackstone told me to run 15k miles. This truck was being run under optimum conditions (not much sit-n-go, lots of highway miles).

Today, I wouldn't go that long with the latest generation of engines from anyone. These manufacturers have processed the dickens out of what the valve train and heads need to be doing and are basically tearing the oil up.

I'd run the good filters and would only go 70% at most of the normal schedule unless the car was running a really good normal schedule routine.

Nothing wrong with Honda filters and Honda says to only change every other oil change. I just think they are over priced when you can get an ultra for under eight bucks with Amazon subscribe and save.

Yeah, I don't think I'd go out of my way to buy OEM filters, but I usually tack them on when I order from H and A accessories for stuff that I do prefer OEM like ATF, Diff fluid, power steering fluid and wiper inserts. Looks like they're on sale now at under $5ea before shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back