AC Delco full syn Dexos 1 ver2 Virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Wow. That looks like some really good D1G2 oil. Thanx for the VOA. Where besides a GM dealer can you get it?

Amazon and ebay, although Mobil 1 is cheaper at Walmart and is a better grade of synthetic oil over the XOM oil that is being sold to GM.

Could it be assumed that all GM dealerships in North America would use/carry this exact same oil?

Also, since my wife's 3.6 2017 Impala doesn't require the D1-G2 oil, if she took her car to the dealership for an oil change, if the above is true, would they also fill her car up with this oil or would they stock/use the regular Dexos 1 oil?

Edit: She/her car has 4 free oil/filter changes but since I prefer to do them myself, I have never taken advantage of this, but I am not considering it based on that VOA report above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
Could it be assumed that all GM dealerships in North America would use/carry this exact same oil?

Also, since my wife's 3.6 2017 Impala doesn't require the D1-G2 oil, if she took her car to the dealership for an oil change, if the above is true, would they also fill her car up with this oil or would they stock/use the regular Dexos 1 oil?

Edit: She/her car has 4 free oil/filter changes but since I prefer to do them myself, I have never taken advantage of this, but I am not considering it based on that VOA report above.

dexos1 is an obsolete spec now, so I don't think there will be any more oil with dexos1 licenses made without risking the fury of GM. I suppose makers could claim compliance with dexos1, but Gen 2 is a superset of the old spec and I'm not sure if it there would be much point. Of course, it's going to take time for old stock to flush out at dealerships and I'm sure there's plenty of dexos1 oil being used as we speak.
However, I don't think it's a given that GM dealers will use AC Delco oil...I'm not even sure if places would necessarily tell you exactly what they use if you asked. I assumed that Subaru dealers all used Subaru (Idemitsu) oil, but I've learned that dealerships will contract to buy in bulk from all kinds of sources.

It's still dexos1, for clarity's sake, albeit dexos1 Gen 2. That was a silly move by GM, bringing this Gen 2 business in and confusing the matter. Do it the way the Europeans do with their OEM specs. Leave the name alone, have the oil companies reformulate and pass tests as per the usual conditions for licensing, and leave everything else the consumer sees alone.

The only consumers on the planet that have the slightest clue about dexos1 Gen 2 versus Gen 1 are here on this board, and they are all clever enough to be able to find out whether it's likely Gen 1 or Gen 2 anyhow from the dexos1 license number right on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

dexos1 is an obsolete spec now, so I don't think there will be any more oil with dexos1 licenses made without risking the fury of GM. I suppose makers could claim compliance with dexos1, but Gen 2 is a superset of the old spec and I'm not sure if it there would be much point. Of course, it's going to take time for old stock to flush out at dealerships and I'm sure there's plenty of dexos1 oil being used as we speak.
However, I don't think it's a given that GM dealers will use AC Delco oil...I'm not even sure if places would necessarily tell you exactly what they use if you asked. I assumed that Subaru dealers all used Subaru (Idemitsu) oil, but I've learned that dealerships will contract to buy in bulk from all kinds of sources.

Interesting! I assumed "all" GM dealerships would be using AC Delco Dexos oil as their fill oils. I had no thoughts that they'd even attempt to use something different on GM vehicles, especially with those still under warranty.

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Interesting! I assumed "all" GM dealerships would be using AC Delco Dexos oil as their fill oils. I had no thoughts that they'd even attempt to use something different on GM vehicles, especially with those still under warranty.

One never knows. One local dealer, while I'm sure they still have AC Delco oil available, really pushes Castrol. Of course, there are dexos licensed Castrol variants, so that's really not a problem, but just sticks out a bit versus AC Delco oil.

Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel more confident in the dealer oil changes while my Malibu is under warranty. Can tell it's Gen 2 by the low calcium. I have heard this is Phillips 66 Shield Valor in an AC Delco bottle.

The two dealers I've used only have AC Delco branded fluids that I've seen while in the shop areas.

Originally Posted By: bradtech
The two dealers I've used only have AC Delco branded fluids that I've seen while in the shop areas.

Good to hear!

I'll see if I can find out for sure what the GM dealer, if I choose to use them, uses for oil? I know a salesman at another GM dealer who may be able to provide what they use, but maybe he'll tell me it's the same across all of them, hopefully?

I'd hope they use AC Delco or at least other brand Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil with all the LSPI issues with their ecotec engines. They basically had to cut the calcium in half on previous add packs to stop the engines from blowing up & reprogram the ECU. The 2016 models were guinea pigs. Bought my new 2017 towards the end of the 17 model lifespan after they figured it out *knock on wood*.

Good to hear!

I'll see if I can find out for sure what the GM dealer, if I choose to use them, uses for oil? I know a salesman at another GM dealer who may be able to provide what they use, but maybe he'll tell me it's the same across all of them, hopefully?

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel more confident in the dealer oil changes while my Malibu is under warranty. Can tell it's Gen 2 by the low calcium. I have heard this is Phillips 66 Shield Valor in an AC Delco bottle.

Its Exxon Mobil, at least the varient in the Exxon Mobil bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back