Oil change monitors: Gen 4 vs Gen 5 GM V-8’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question is directed at those who adhere to the GM oil change monitor and change their oil using the monitor. Let’s just talk about the kinds of miles the trucks go through before the monitors go to 0 %. I’m wondering if there is a difference between Gen 4 and Gen 5, which is pre-2014 vs 2014 and above. This doesn’t include the 6 liter V-8 as it is still a Gen 4.

Please don’t bother to discuss what interval you use instead of the monitor. That has already been discussed in other postings.

I’m finding on my 2008 6 liter, with ordinary mixed highway and city, I tend to get 6,000 miles when the indicator says zero percent left.

06 6.0 155k. I'm at approximately 6500 miles at 0%. Very hilly terrain maybe 30% highway. Poor gas mileage with all the climbing (13 avg)

2001 Silverado 5.3, almost all city driving. My "Change Engine Oil" light comes on between 2300 and 3000 miles, with 3000 being longer than most.

The truck does not show the percentage. I just found out Torque has a percent monitor, but I don't usually have it hooked up.

I follow the monitor in that I clear it once and then change the next time it comes on, with synthetic oil. That gives about 12-14 months on an oil change with my driving pattern.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Do you have an info display? Toggle through it and see if the words “Percentage Remaining” show up.
not that I can find

Does a Change Oil light ever come on?

Gen 5 5.3 here currently. GM set at 7500 under ideal conditions. My monitor clicks down 1 % every 75 miles, even in cold winter and relatively short trips interestingly enough. When towing or when super hot, it drops to about 1% every ~68 to 70 miles. Had a Gen 4 5.3 but it was an oil burner so we never used the OLM so I don't remember what intervals the OLM called for.

Last edited:
Do you have an info display? Toggle through it and see if the words “Percentage Remaining” show up.
not that I can find

Does a Change Oil light ever come on?
ya but it goes way longer than I think is safe.

OK, so far we are seeing indicators that the Gen 5's counting down to 0 at about 7500 miles and the Gen 4's seem to be more in the range of 6,000 to 6,500. Any one else have a data point? Thanks.

SF

OLM in my 2007 Yukon XL with the 6.2L is somewhere between 5,000 to 7,000 for a change, depending on driving conditions. Right now, it's sitting at 65% with just under 2,000 miles on this OCI. This OCI has seen more idling, cold starts, and city driving than during the summer.

I'm not sure if it's the same on the trucks but I do know that since 2014 on the Corvettes, they changed the algorithm for the oil life monitor to also include the time factor. With the previous system if you changed your oil and reset the monitor back to 100% and then did not start the engine for a while, it would still say 100% when you started it, even if it was many months (or even years) later. Starting in 2014, if you reset the monitor and don't drive the car, it will still count down to zero by the time you reach the one year mark.

I don't think my wife's Tahoe shows percent. At least I don't know how to see it.

That's wild. My 2004 Silverado shows by percent. I would think that a 2004 Tahoe would as well.

OK. When that light comes on is what we are interested in. How many miles do you think that is that happening in? Thanks.

SF
The one time I let it go (but still changed the oil anyway) it went 14k. All city driving and short trips.

My 06 3.5L Colorado had the 'Change Engine Oil' indicator above the odometer. It does not show %. Manual says to change the oil within 600 miles of that notification coming on. It usually comes on at about 9500-10000 miles with mixed driving.

I always change it sooner, at about 6k OCI.

OK. When that light comes on is what we are interested in. How many miles do you think that is that happening in? Thanks.

SF
The one time I let it go (but still changed the oil anyway) it went 14k. All city driving and short trips.

That right there exemplifies my point exactly. Ditch the stupid thing and write the last oil change on the pillar with a marker. Then you’ll see it every time you get in. Trying to stretch Oil life by the guidance of some machine can be a fools errand since of it fails you’ve inadvertently trained yourself to depend on the magic geni . I don’t hate the thing and I can see using it as a backup reminder but depending on it fully , nope. Oils too cheap vs. engines too. $$$.

2014 Silverado Gen V L83 5.3

My OLM tracks exactly at 7,500 miles. I use my B trip odometer to monitor OCI mileage and it seems to be purely mileage based as towing, remote start/idling and E85 usage do not drop it faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back