2016 JK transmission issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2016 Jeep Sahara has a hard time shifting from second to third gear. I always have to briefly let off the gas for it to shift into third gear. I live up around 10,000 ft so that may be an issue. although It doesn't seem to bother my Escalade. The transmission is at the proper level and it only has 20k on it. She also has a 4" lift and 35's on her.

Sounds like a programming issue to me. Has the speedo been re-calibrated for 35"s? They are usually a little less than 34" when mounted. With 35"s on my truck and no programmer the trans would hang in 4th and delay the shift back into overdrive after a grade for a bit. With the computer getting what it thinks is the correct speed inputs it's fine.

Last edited:
What's stock on those? 3:21? That's gotta be a dog up there spinning those tires. I noticed a decline with my Liberty going up 2" in tires, have 3:73s, 4:10s would be optimum. I'd think for that you'd want 4:56 or 5:38. Is your fuel economy pretty bad too?

Likely not the answer you wanted to hear, but that trans will be dead before 100k without a regear. It'll feel like a new Jeep!

The 5spd likes to hang onto gears if you drive it sporty I've noticed. Nothing wrong with that, its better than the fuel saving "get into high and don't downshift ever" setup most trannys have

With the larger wheels, you need to reprogram or regear. It's trying to compensate and keep the engine in the power band.

Also mine was a little low from the factory. Try several readings on the dipstick. It's not consistent I've noticed. Low fluid shifts late and sluggish.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
What's stock on those? 3:21? That's gotta be a dog up there spinning those tires. I noticed a decline with my Liberty going up 2" in tires, have 3:73s, 4:10s would be optimum. I'd think for that you'd want 4:56 or 5:38. Is your fuel economy pretty bad too?

Likely not the answer you wanted to hear, but that trans will be dead before 100k without a regear. It'll feel like a new Jeep!

Exactly.

Thanks for the advice, I will be re-gearing. Thats no big problem as I wanted to change out both axles anyhow.

Go as low as you can. With your elevation, I would certainly want it. There's no reason that that engine can't sing along at 3000 or 3500 all day if you take it on a road trip.

I have 3.73s on 35s and even that is borderline iffy. No way I'd be running 35s/3.21s. You need to regear period. 4.56/35s is a perfect combo for the 3.6 auto. Even 4.10s is a good setup but the 3.6 really comes alive north of 2500. I routinely drive down the highway in manual 4th instead of 5th when it's windy so it won't constantly hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back