0w20 vs 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I havn't been able to find a whole lot of information on 0w20 and 0w30. Seems like people stick to either 20wt or 30wt per their manual and anything in regards to 20wt vs 30wt is a can of worms with the two sides fighting. I dont want this thread to turn into a [censored] show. Per my manual 0w20 is recommended, but I can use 30wt as well. I've been using 5w30, but with recent cold temperatures in the single digit Fahrenheit I get a lot of knocking/tapping sounds from the engine during cold start up for a good minute or two. As far as these kinds of cold temperatures go will 0w20 flow/pump better or 0w30. I know both oils have a 0w rating but I am comparing apples to oranges. If it helps the 0w30 oil will be Mobil 1 since it seems to be the only one with the ILSAC GF-5 rating, and the 0w20 would be a Toyota Genuine oil. I'm not trying to get into a whole debate about 20 vs 30 oil or why I'm using 30 weight oil. So if we could stick to facts I'd appreciate it.

A bit hard to comment since TGMO has very little data out there.

The sounds that you are experiencing in single digit F temperatures should not be affected by either 0W20, 0W30, (or 5W30 really)...possibly the fact that things in general are colder.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
A bit hard to comment since TGMO has very little data out there.

The sounds that you are experiencing in single digit F temperatures should not be affected by either 0W20, 0W30, (or 5W30 really)...possibly the fact that things in general are colder.

When temps get into high teens I dont experience these sounds. Maybe it's the specific 5w30 I'm using? I'm currently running ACDelco 5w30 full synthetic, I'll soon be at 5k and I'm going to switch to pennzoil ultra platinum. I'll see if I have the issue with the PUP. I ran the ACDelco stuff since it's labeled as full synthetic and costs me $3.67 USD a quart. I am planning on getting the used oil tested so that should be interesting.

It's almost certainly not something related to your oil choice. Teens F 5W is fine. 0W will flow better at any sub-freezing temperature, but it's not absolutely necessary at moderate below freezing temps. Whatever you are experiencing, it's either normal or there is something else wrong.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
0W will flow better at any sub-freezing temperature,

No it won't.

I think something else is going on there if the engine is making " knocking/tapping sounds" sounds for a minute or more. I'd start by trying a different oil filter and getting some oil pressure readings if the filter doesn't help. Single digit temps are not that cold for a 5W30 oil. I can see some ticking or tapping for a couple of seconds during a cold start depending on engine design, and how long the vehicle sat. A minute or more imo involves further investigation. I'd start with the items I mentioned.

My lady's Camry certainly did sound different in 6°F than say at 30°F. I have Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30 in there. And at that low of a temp the car was much more loud and clattering than I have noticed at temps in the 20s or 30s. Granted it lasted a bit then after that it was sounding like normal. There's just something different about starting some vehicles at less than 10°F that makes them sound a fair amount different than temps above that.

Last edited:
Or incorrect oil grade
wink.gif

I know most on here will say, "ha! You call 10F cold? Try -58F for a change", blah blah blah but the fact of the matter is, metals shrink and expand with temp and the colder it is, the more it effects the internals and externals of the engine parts. Clearances can be WAY OFF and until it warms up and expands back to spec, "SOME" can experience excessive engine noise during this period.

My Mazda 3 has been raised in FL since 3 miles on the clock and every time some cold front comes thru, the engine sounds WAY different during cold start at say, 30s F vs the typical 60F let alone how it sounds during "cold start" when it's 95F outside in the morning.

@2000Trooper, you can definitely try a 0w20 but I honestly doubt much will change. If anything, the new oil could be helping to lower startup noise and you could probably get the same result by pouring in new 0w30 or even 5w30.

I think there's nothing you can do in such temps except to deal with it until it warm back up or get a engine block heater.

Originally Posted By: 2000Trooper
As far as these kinds of cold temperatures go will 0w-20 flow/pump better or 0w-30?
I know both oils have a 0w rating but I am comparing apples to oranges.

For all practical purposes, there should not be any SIGNIFICANT differences between the two.

Why not just use 0w20 all the time since your car recommends it? Thats what I would do. Like the others, I dont think it will solve your problem. What filter are you using?

I'm using OEM toyota filters(YZZD1), and I made the jump from 0w20 to 5w30 because I drive the engine hard both in regards to speed and over sized tires.

Originally Posted By: 2000Trooper
I'm using OEM toyota filters(YZZD1), and I made the jump from 0w20 to 5w30 because I drive the engine hard both in regards to speed and over sized tires.

Which is what Toyota says to do in the owners manual.

Single digits aren't very cold. I'd just use the 0W-20 that is recommended for your vehicle. It doesn't get much better than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back