oil to use to clean foam filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil to use to clean those Honda foam filters. I have some ATF that I have no need for. Could I use that?

Dish soap has always worked fine for me, (like Dawn) for all foam filters. I have a few on power equipment and have a Uni foam filter on our Honda XL75 bike. I oil them either with a small amount of engine oil rubbed in or K&N filter oil.

If it's related then the filter cleaner in my K&N recharge kit uses Sodium Metasilicate as the degreaser. Not sure what the reoil oil is made of but I would bet any light synthetic would work.

Dawn and water to clean. ATF to lube. Put some in and squeeze out the excess
smile.gif

I clean the foam with mineral spirits, wring it out and let dry. Any oil can be used afterward, wring out any excess. Your atf will be fine.

Last edited:
I used to wash out the foam filter wrap on my El Camino with Gunk engine cleaner and then rinse it out with water and then let it dry before oiling. Over time the foam stretched out of shape. I'll be washing my new filter with dish detergent. I'll need to take good care of it. Those things are getting hard to find.

You need to use a petroleum distillate (like mineral spirits or kerosene) or a soap and water based cleaner (like dish soap or simple green) to clean foam filters.

I like the the to No-Toil air filter system. It uses a very safe but effective soap to clean the filters, along with a gentle but effective vegetable based oil for the filter oil. The Honda brand of air filter care kit is a re-branded No-Toil kit.

I use mineral spirits (Varsol) or gasoline to clean filters then spread a thin coat of chainsaw bar oil over the outer surface of the filter. Not much other than clean air gets past that.

I used gasoline to clean them but I have had a few that disintegrated a while after the gas treatment. Could be the gas but I don't know, so now I use dish soap and then some oil to make them a bit more sticky.
Years ago Briggs manuals suggested gasoline cleaning...

Camp stove fuel. Basically, it's naptha, but cheaper. It's been my go-to cleaning solvent for about 35 years.

Originally Posted By: AMC
You need to use a petroleum distillate (like mineral spirits or kerosene) or a soap and water based cleaner (like dish soap or simple green) to clean foam filters.

I like the the to No-Toil air filter system. It uses a very safe but effective soap to clean the filters, along with a gentle but effective vegetable based oil for the filter oil. The Honda brand of air filter care kit is a re-branded No-Toil kit.

No you don't, those are actually hard on them and will cause premature wear. I use to use Sunlight dish soap wit great success using it and warm/hot water.
Many use, which is likely the preferred way to ensure longevity, Twin-Air foam filter cleaner and their oils for re-oiling.
https://www.twinair.com/original-liquid-power-air-filter-cleaning-tips.html

No you don't, those are actually hard on them and will cause premature wear. I use to use Sunlight dish soap wit great success using it and warm/hot water.
Many use, which is likely the preferred way to ensure longevity, Twin-Air foam filter cleaner and their oils for re-oiling.
https://www.twinair.com/original-liquid-power-air-filter-cleaning-tips.html [/quote]

I've used mineral spirits or gasoline for decades. Never had a problem and believe me, it cleans much quicker than soap and leaves no water in the filter. Clean it, squeeze it dry, add oil, work into filter and get back to work in no time.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

https://www.twinair.com/original-liquid-power-air-filter-cleaning-tips.html

I've used mineral spirits or gasoline for decades. Never had a problem and believe me, it cleans much quicker than soap and leaves no water in the filter. Clean it, squeeze it dry, add oil, work into filter and get back to work in no time. [/quote]

Mineral spirits are one thing but gas is another, but maybe you're one of the lucky ones?
21.gif

"There are many different types of solvents used to clean air filters. Some people use automotive solvents or kerosene. We recommend cleaners that are made by the same manufacturers that make the filter oil. They do a great job, and they’re safe. Some people use gasoline. We recommend against this as it can be dangerous, and it can actually damage foam air filters."

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/rm-rider-exchange/how-to-clean-oil-air-filter/
http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/d27_oilcleaner.html
https://dirtbikeplanet.com/air-filter/

I have used mineral spirits for years, followed by hot soapy (Dawn) water.
I usually keep 2 filters around, that way while one is drying I'm oiling up the clean one.

A word of warning, a few years ago I was using the No-Toil system on non- No-Toil filters, after a while the glued seams started to open up and separate. Don't know if it was the cleaner or the oil, I suspect the oil. Seems I read something about this later, don't know if it was on No-Toils website, or a forum. Stopped using No-Toil probably 10 years ago, and no more issues.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
A word of warning, a few years ago I was using the No-Toil system on non- No-Toil filters, after a while the glued seams started to open up and separate. Don't know if it was the cleaner or the oil, I suspect the oil. Seems I read something about this later, don't know if it was on No-Toils website, or a forum. Stopped using No-Toil probably 10 years ago, and no more issues.

That was a problem No-Toil addressed many years ago. The chemistry of the base solvent they use in their original air filter oil can be harsh on the glue some brands used to use years ago. Newer foam filters have more resilient glue and should be just fine with any brand of foam filter oil, including No-Toil. If for some reason you are still concerned about the original No-Toil hurting your filter, you can either use the No-Toil EVO filter oil which uses water the base solvent and is extremely gentle on filters; or you can use No-Toil's filters. The No-Toil filter construction is very strong, resilient and impervious to any brand or type of chemical used on or around air filters

All that being said, the fact of the matter is the glued seems are the weakest link in any foam filter and the seems are the most likely point of failure, regardless of what you products you use on the filter.

OK, just spotted this thread. I have been a pro OPE mechanic for 40+years, and as you may know many of those engines use foam filters. I have always used mineral spirits to clean the filters, then wring out as dry as possible, even wrapping in a rag, and squeeze more.
then DIP the whole filter in a container of oil (most any oil) and saturate it. Then squeeze it out as dry as you can, and re-install. If not throughly saturated, it could still let some dust in. I have seen ones that the owner did, and just squirted some oil from an oil can around on it, and after running the engine in dirty conditions, you could see exactly where the dirt went through the filter everywhere the oil wasn't. Foam filters do a great job, but ONLY if properly oiled.

Originally Posted By: old1
OK, just spotted this thread. I have been a pro OPE mechanic for 40+years, and as you may know many of those engines use foam filters. I have always used mineral spirits to clean the filters, then wring out as dry as possible, even wrapping in a rag, and squeeze more.
then DIP the whole filter in a container of oil (most any oil) and saturate it. Then squeeze it out as dry as you can, and re-install. If not throughly saturated, it could still let some dust in. I have seen ones that the owner did, and just squirted some oil from an oil can around on it, and after running the engine in dirty conditions, you could see exactly where the dirt went through the filter everywhere the oil wasn't. Foam filters do a great job, but ONLY if properly oiled.

I smear chain saw bar oil on the outside of the filter like jam on a slice of bread, then I work it in. The oil is very tacky and not too much gets by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back