Honda Shin Etsu ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have an odyssey and with this wonderful negative Fahrenheit temps lately, the doors are freezing shut. If you know Odysseys, very expensive door parts and tens of hours I don’t want to spend wrenching in the cold (been there, done that. Both sides!). Someone recommended Shin Etsu grease from Honda, said it’s amazing. Just wondering what it is, if there is a good alternative, and if there is something else all together you all could recommend for this? I’ve used silicon grease (Napa silglide) for sunroofs but no risk of wife and/or kids rubbing against that. We typically don’t stand out of the sunroofs anymore

Thanks all

Last edited:
I have used that grease and it's a perfect solution for what you need. I used it for squeaky rubber door seals on a Honda Accord that made all kind of noise. They quieted right down.

Yes-it's expensive but works.

Shin Etsu grease from Honda works great. I cut a sponge into a small piece approx. 1 x 3 inches (dampen sponge with water to soften). A little on the weatherstripping spreading it as far as you can. It conditions, protects and lubricates weatherstripping.

1 tube will last for many years and do many cars.

I have a tube of Shin Etsu and it is pretty fantastic, but I don't know if any other quality silicone paste wouldn't work just as well.

The Shin Etsu isn't particularly less greasy than the 3M or Mission Automotive 100% silicone paste that I have also used. I think the key is that you are putting on a very very thin layer, rubbing it in a little, then rubbing off the excess. Should properly clean everything before applying as well. Both those silicone pastes are in the $20 range for an 8 oz bottle though.

I've never used Sil-Glyde, but I remember reading that it wasn't 100% silicone, and had other stuff that might not be as great for rubber. I don't know that to be fact though.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Sounds like Gummi Pflege from Nextzett (Einzett)

That and Shin Etsu are all I'll use... But to me at least they serve different purposes.

I'd use Gummipfleger on an old seal to help rejuvenate it, then Shin Etsu to help maintain it. Shin Etsu is better for newer seals or for seals that need a little help, like the 128x10¹² in a modern convertible top.

Good stuff for weatherstrip and door window slides, it really makes the window operation smoother and takes wear and tear of the motor and regulator especially the cable type.
Just lower the window and use a long wooden Q tip to smear it inside the track on the door frame.

Originally Posted By: Drew1987
Thanks all. I am really glad I asked. I’ll be picking some up for sure

Smart move, and well worth it!

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
A little goes a long way use sparingly.

very sparingly - the film need only be the thickness of one molecule
grin.gif

From a suggestion on this forum a few years ago I started using DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. I don't know what the percentage of silicon is, but it works very well. It can also be used to condition the rubber on wiper blades. The single small bottle I bought will last me the rest of my life.

Is the Honda Shin Etsu (G30M)any different than common dielectric or brake silicone lubes? It does appear to be a lower consistency grease vs. their other products.
https://chilternconnections.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloadables/msds/g-30m_0.pdf
https://chilternconnections.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloadables/tds/g30m_10s_100t_0.pdf
https://chilternconnections.co.uk/sites/...l_compounds.pdf

FYI regarding Sil-Glyde: the old msds' indicated that it contains on a trace of silicone (less than 5%?)and is mostly a castor oil based lubricant. Not a bad thing. It is an excellent product.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
From a suggestion on this forum a few years ago I started using DOT 5 silicone brake fluid. I don't know what the percentage of silicon is, but it works very well. It can also be used to condition the rubber on wiper blades. The single small bottle I bought will last me the rest of my life.

I used DOT 5 for years on weather strip and rubber parts and it worked great back when special compunds like Shin Etsu were rare and hard to come by.
It still gets used to lube the vacuum bleeder and when I inadvertently draw some brake fluid or oils into it.
Just draw warm water and dawn it into the pump through a hose and let it exhaust through the top port then do the same with the DOT 5. I do buy and use Shin Etsu these days for weather strip.

That’s Very interesting… I’ve always thought brake fluid was very caustic… But then again, that’s DOT3

Shin etsu is amazing, i just got a tube. I see what the fuss is all about! I will look into dot5 out of curiosity though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back